Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] ResScan Read and understand?
ResScan Read and understand?
    ResScan
I dont get the leak part of the chart. I just dont understand?
Can some one tell me if I'm leaking to much?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResScan Read and understand?
Hi Bladskinner
Does the machine gives smiley (green) face or sad face (red) in the morning
On on the whole leak above the red line is bad and leak below the red line line is good ... the lower is the better
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 01:14 AM)zonk Wrote: Hi Bladskinner
Does the machine gives smiley (green) face or sad face (red) in the morning
On on the whole leak above the red line is bad and leak below the red line line is good ... the lower is the better

Well I dont look at it in the morning I just roll over and turn it off.
So any color above the red line is leaking? or just the dark green?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are three different leak numbers being reported in that chart:

The top of the darkest green bar is the median leak rate. For 50% of the night your leak rate was AT or BELOW the median leak rate and for 50% of the night your leak rate was AT or ABOVE the median leak rate. It's really important to keep the median leak rate below the Red Line at 24 L/min. If the median leak rate is above the Red Line, Mr. Red Frowny Face will show up the next morning on the short version of the Sleep Quality Report on the machine's LCD, and you know that the leaks were a significant problem that affected the quality of your therapy and the accuracy of the AHI data.

The top of the middle green bar is the 95th percentile (95%) leak rate. For 95% of the night your leak rate was AT or BELOW the 95% leak rate and for 5% of the night your leak rate was AT or ABOVE the 95% leak rate. It's highly desirable to keep the 95% leak rate below the Red Line at 24 L/min. If the 95% leak rate is below the Red LIne, Mr. Green Smiley Face will show up the next morning on the short version of the Sleep Quality Report on the machine's LCD, and you know that the leaks were small enough to have no impact on the efficacy of your therapy and the accuracy of the data. (The leaks may still have been annoying enough to adversely affect the subjective quality of your sleep.)

The top of the light green bar is the maximum leak rate. It is the greatest leak rate detected for the full night. Note that if you use the Auto Off feature and turn the machine off by taking off your mask, the maximum leak rate can be much, much higher than the 95% leak rate. Likewise, if you pull the mask away from your nose to scratch it, that can affect the max leak rate. It's ok to ignore the max leak rate if it is a whole lot higher than the 95% leak rate.

It's important to note that Mr. Red Frowny Face shows up when the leak rate is AT or ABOVE 24 L/min for 30% of the night. That's where the Resmed engineers say that the leaks are both large enough and long enough to adversely affect the efficacy of your PAP therapy and the accuracy of the AHI data. The leak rates shown towards the beginning of your displayed data are much better than the leak rates later on. Later on there are a lot of days where the 95% leak rate is way, way higher than 24 L/min and the median leak rate is above or approaching 20 L/min. Those are nights where it is likely that Mr. Red Frowny Face showed up on the morning Sleep Quality Report.

The leak data you show indicate that you need to be checking the machine's LCD each morning for Mr. Green Smiley or Mr. Red Frowny. And if Mr. Red Frowny is showing up as often as I think he does, you need to start working on solving the leak problem.

The question is: Why did the leaks get so much worse about about 20 days into this time frame? Is it possible that you need to replace the mask cushion or nasal pillows for your mask?? Or did you change masks about 20 days in????
Post Reply Post Reply
You can still check sleep quality report later during the day as long as you don,t switch off the machine or taking an afternoon nap. The machine reset at the start of new CPAP day at 12 mid-day
The red line is drawn at 24 L/m which ResMed defined as an acceptable leak. Good mask fit indicate 70th percentile leak is less than 24 L/m

How you describe your sleep quality, you seem to be sleeping right through the night (that is a good thing)
Post Reply Post Reply

The question is: Why did the leaks get so much worse about about 20 days into this time frame? Is it possible that you need to replace the mask cushion or nasal pillows for your mask?? Or did you change masks about 20 days in????
[/quote]

Thanks. I do still have the same full face mask. I did try pillows for two nights Dec. 4&5 but I felt a burning sensation at the nostrils and could not continue using it. Weird. As to the upscale leaking I think it might be that I don't wake from the leaking as I used too.
I received the mask December 17/2013 and was told it should last 6 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 02:22 AM)zonk Wrote: You can still check sleep quality report later during the day as long as you don,t switch off the machine or taking an afternoon nap. The machine reset at the start of new CPAP day at 12 mid-day
The red line is drawn at 24 L/m which ResMed defined as an acceptable leak. Good mask fit indicate 70th percentile leak is less than 24 L/m

How you describe your sleep quality, you seem to be sleeping right through the night (that is a good thing)
Thanks
Yes I do seem to be sleeping with less wake up time. But after still yawn all day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a nasal mask like the wisp or nano? I had huge leaks with my ff mask quattro air and have just about switched totally over to my swift fx nano which is nasal not pillows but you can always add pillows to it because they use the same head frame.
My leaks are less and my AHI is much better with the nasal mask which I use with a ruby red chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 12:11 PM)Lukie Wrote: Have you tried a nasal mask like the wisp or nano? I had huge leaks with my ff mask quattro air and have just about switched totally over to my swift fx nano which is nasal not pillows but you can always add pillows to it because they use the same head frame.
My leaks are less and my AHI is much better with the nasal mask which I use with a ruby red chin strap.

Well I have a mustache and the tech didn't think it would work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 12:16 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:11 PM)Lukie Wrote: Have you tried a nasal mask like the wisp or nano? I had huge leaks with my ff mask quattro air and have just about switched totally over to my swift fx nano which is nasal not pillows but you can always add pillows to it because they use the same head frame.

Well I have a mustache and the tech didn't think it would work.

The nasal mask just covers your nose and the pillows inside your nose. I don't know if a mustache will affect it but it is worth a try and the nasal mask and pillows are a whole lot less expensive. You can get a new cushion every month (2 nasal mask cushion, 2 nasal pillow cushions or 1 ffm cushion) if you want to. Every 3 months, if you want to, you can get a new frame and cushion. Every 6 months, if you want to, you can get a new headgear according to medicare guidelines which most insurance companies follow. If you don't have insurance, then it is up to you and what you can afford as to when you replace your supplies.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,046 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 112 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 122 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 325 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 1,064 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 276 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 303 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.