Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Seeking advice interpreting Oscar
Seeking advice interpreting Oscar
Good evening;

(The following is based on posts to Reddit/r/CPAP and Reddit/r/SleepApnea from which I was advised to also post on ApneaBoard and Supplier #1

I am male, 57.

In October 2020  I averaged 5 hours of sleep per night - out of habit, really - to bed around 11pm, up at 0430 for my commute to work.   

The reason I requested the sleep study was because my spouse complained I snored, to the point she wanted me to move to the sofa.     I responded ‘never’ to the initial questionnaire about falling asleep in meetings/driving/etc., because those never happened - it was just snoring.

My home sleep-study determined I had an AHI of 38, so a CPAP was ordered. On Nov 13 I began using ResMed AirSense 10.  It took me several weeks to get used to breathing during the first hour of use each night; currently, it takes me about 30 mins to fall asleep, which still feels weird as I almost always fell asleep in under 10 mins before CPAP.   Between following the CPAP advice - and because since January I no longer have a daily commute - I am now in bed between 1000 and 600.

Most mornings I wake up an hour or so earlier than I need to - I lay in bed, trying to fall back asleep, so as not to get a bad score from having less than 7 hours of “sleep.” Despite that, I wake up groggy every day.  Mid-day I am exhausted, to the point I have nodded off several times each week after dinner; this is a new behavior.    When I do nap, it is without the CPAP and no snoring is reported.

My spouse reports a change in my personality: I am less engaging, and apparently, I am persistently in a sour mood.    I now have horrible morning breath, but my mouth is never dry when I get up.

I have a periodic need to drive long distances - 2-3 hrs at a time - for both professional and personal reasons; the late-day tiredness is becoming a concern with these drives. In the summer of 2019 I weekly drove 430 miles in one sitting (with 2 pit stops) so I am no stranger to long hauls.  

I am beginning to conclude this ‘therapy’ is causing me to be fatigued.  Before CPAP, my spouse wanted me to sleep on the sofa because of snoring; if what I describe above is the price I pay for CPAP, I may as well give it up and move to the sofa.

My physician has kept saying 'give it time' but I am frustrated.  Neither the physician nor equipment provider have offered any suggestion to modify my CPAP settings

In  r/CPAP I posted these pics and have received adjustment advice which I will try this evening. Further comments suggested I post Oscar screen caps:

Since posting to r/CPAP this afternoon, I have changed MIN PRESSURE from 5 to 8, RAMP was auto, and is now off, ERP level was 2 now 3.

I appreciate any input.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seeking advice interpreting Oscar
You have high flow limits and they can and do cause sleep disturbances. To help we use EPR (exhale pressure relief)

I would suggest these 2 changes

Min 7 or 8
EPR 3

I believe you will sleep much better with those changes

Flow limits are apnea just like O and H events although they are smaller and are not times.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seeking advice interpreting Oscar
I agree with Stacey. The increase in minimum pressure will also reduce the large pressure swings which are probably disturbing your sleep. I suggest you also turn off ramp if you can tolerate starting at the higher pressure.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 180 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 119 Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 169 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help interpreting the data Hopey 2 106 04-12-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Hopey
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 144 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,447 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 191 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.