[Diagnosis] Should I do sleep study again?
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Should I do sleep study again?
Hi Hopscotch. It can't hurt to try breathing strips or Nozovent. My understanding about UARS, though, is that the breathing resistance tends to come from the structure of your airway.

I do have chronic fatigue syndrome & fibromyalgia. I'll spare you the symptom description. It's possible that I also had UARS going on for many years, but no way to know for sure. That syndrome had not really been described in the '90s, though, so even if I'd had a sleep study then, it's unlikely that I would have been prescribed CPAP therapy.

It's just one of those cases of medical advances coming along a little later than I'd have liked. On the other hand, I am very grateful that anti-TNF meds like Enbrel and Humira were available when I needed them. Autoimmune arthritis was truly grim before those were developed.

You don't have to upload your study results unless you want comments from people. I mentioned RERA so that you'd know to check if it was scored on the study.

If you have UARS but not obstructive apnea, you could still benefit from CPAP therapy but might not be prescribed it. It depends on the doctor you saw and how they do their sleep studies.

(06-09-2016 11:52 PM)Hopscotch Wrote:  Thank you, green wings for your detailed reply.

I am not sure if the study mentions RDI, AHI or RERA. If your interested, I'll upload the study itself.

I researched UARS , which sounds possible as I do feel sometimes I can't breath in enough oxygen. It lead me to the idea of breathing strips and Nozovent which I will both be trialing. If they aren't successful I'll look into cpap or apap.

Its a shame you were mis-diagnosed, it must have been a relief to discover it wasn't chronic fatigue! I can't think of anything worse. Although being untreated for the real cause is just as bad.

You have been much more helpful than any doctor I've visited and I'm glad I turned to this forum. Thank you very much!
06-10-2016 08:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 249 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 213 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 424 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 288 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  When is it time to get another sleep study done. duece12345 7 337 11-19-2016 11:51 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question [Diagnosis] Sleep Study Report: Lowest Desaturation vs Lowest Saturation blueelement2016 4 249 11-09-2016 02:37 AM
Last Post: blueelement2016
  home sleep study problem garretdl 5 370 10-14-2016 02:39 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred