Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Sleep Test Report. Comments requested.
Success in first night on CPAP Treatment. Oscar screenshot.
Hello,

I'm counting first night as a success. 9hrs sleep!!!!!
Feel my diaphram has had a workout.
AHI 6.12 vs 12.0 during sleep test.
Snoring was very much controlled it seems. 177min in Sleep Test.

URL to Test Report
"http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?thumbnail=32467"
I'm not allowed to post a proper link

I would appreciate any comments, so as to continue as I have started, from the Oscar screenshot attached.

Phil

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Success in first night on CPAP Treatment. Oscar screenshot.
It's obvious from the clustering of your obstructive events that you are experiencing positional apnea which no level of pressure can overcome. See the article on positional apnea here   http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea  
It can be corrected by using a flatter pillow but often requires the use of a soft cervical collar (See the link below). It was the solution to my positional apnea and I use one every night. FYI it's best if you keep all of your posts related to your therapy in a single thread.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, a few things to consider:

Leak rates are somewhat high, enough that you need to address them to lower it a bit. How to address it depends on the mask, the fit, and adjusting properly.

Second area, let's bump min pressure to 7. You're trying to use EPR 3, and the minimum of 5 your using interferes with the EPR at 3 from working. EPR reduces the pressure by the setting, in this case 3. The math works this way, your 5 pressure minus 3 EPR is 2 but the PAP can't but go down to 4. So EPR 3 is not doing much until pressure needs increase to 7 or more.

Next is consider turning off Ramp. Your holding pressure at 5 for 20 minutes. So every time there's a new session, 20 minutes are burned before therapy pressures kick in. It appears 3 sessions were on this OSCAR, so 1 hour was under Ramp.

Last one, read up on positional Apnea and soft cervical collar to control positional Apnea. Look again at your OSCAR. See the clusters of flag one after another? That's positional Apnea. You head and neck are kinking and creating a restriction, much like a kinked garden hose. PAP pressures will not blow past this.

See the links in my signature.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2021, 03:56 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: OK, a few things to consider:

Leak rates are somewhat high, enough that you need to address them to lower it a bit. How to address it depends on the mask, the fit, and adjusting properly.

Working on the mask fit
Second area, let's bump min pressure to 7. You're trying to use EPR 3, and the minimum of 5 your using interferes with the EPR at 3 from working. EPR reduces the pressure by the setting, in this case 3. The math works this way, your 5 pressure minus 3 EPR is 2 but the PAP can't but go down to 4. So EPR 3 is not doing much until pressure needs increase to 7 or more.

Next is consider turning off Ramp. Your holding pressure at 5 for 20 minutes. So every time there's a new session, 20 minutes are burned before therapy pressures kick in. It appears 3 sessions were on this OSCAR, so 1 hour was under Ramp.

Last one, read up on positional Apnea and soft cervical collar to control positional Apnea. Look again at your OSCAR. See the clusters of flag one after another? That's positional Apnea. You head and neck are kinking and creating a restriction, much like a kinked garden hose. PAP pressures will not blow past this.

See the links in my signature.

OK....Working on the mask fit
Made the pressure and ramp changes.

Tried a collar, lasted 20 mins. Uncomfortable and interfered with the mask.
Ended up with thinner pillow and U shaped travel pillow, bottom of U under my chin. My impression was it kept my chin up. Oscar report suggests no?
[attachment=32499]
Positive was that Snoring was zero.

I would appreciate any further comments on the attched Oscar report.

With thanks
Phil

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Test Report. Comments requested.
Yes it appears the clusters are still there. I don't know much about collar selection from actually purchasing one, but others that have that same collar to mask interference have found some combo that's worked.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Curious behind the choice of F20 mask? Is that because you have nasal congestion or know that you mouth breath?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2021, 02:28 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Curious behind the choice of F20 mask? Is that because you have nasal congestion or know that you mouth breath?

Yes. Broke my nose in my younger days and I know I mouth breath a lot.
As I have committed to treatment, with scant knowledge, I had to grab something. (I'm learning quickly though)

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an F20 mask and soft cervical collar with no problem. How is it interfering with your mask? If adjusted properly it should be under your chin and should not make contact with the mask. I don't find the collar especially uncomfortable but realize that we are all different. Perhaps a different collar will be more comfortable or it may just be an issue of getting used to it. I use the OTC collar available from amazon for $9.99 It comes in several sizes with instructions for size selection. Another thing that helped me before I learned about collars was a buckwheat chaff pillow which can be molded to provide the support you need to minimize chin tucking. They are also available from amazon I use the CPAP fit pillow from Pur-Sleep ($60). It's available from amazon for $51.29.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2021, 03:25 PM)Melman Wrote: I use an F20 mask and soft cervical collar with no problem. How is it interfering with your mask? If adjusted properly it should be under your chin and should not make contact with the mask. I don't find the collar especially uncomfortable but realize that we are all different. Perhaps a different collar will be more comfortable or it may just be an issue of getting used to it. I use the OTC collar available from amazon for $9.99 It comes in several sizes with instructions for size selection. Another thing that helped me before I learned about collars was a buckwheat chaff pillow which can be molded to provide the support you need to minimize chin tucking. They are also available from amazon I use the CPAP fit pillow from Pur-Sleep ($60). It's available from amazon for $51.29.

Melman

I may have had it too loose. Sides under my ears rode up a bit. As Sarcastic Dave mentioned about reducing mask leaks. I made decision to concentrate on leaks.
I'm going to have a better daytime test and maybe some modification of the collar.
So much to think about with a new guy desperate for a good nights sleep!

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
If it helps any, I myself had struggles to get either silicone AirFit or memory foam AirTouch F20 masks to seal well with consistency and comfort. I had taken some sleep studies fairly recent where I tried the Fisher and Paykel Simplus, and later the Vitera. I found either of the F&P masks to seal easier, more consistently, and more comfortably. Vitera is my go-to mask now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 83 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 130 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 170 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 209 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 878 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.