Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Sleep Test Report. Comments requested.
RE: Sleep Test Report. Comments requested.
Since you know you mouth breath a FFM is the obvious choice. In some cases FFMs are not as effective though so I was wondering about trying a nasal mask, if you mouth breath might not be able to make one work without mouth leak issues though.

One theory is that the FFM lower strap pulls chin back/down worsening this sort of positional looking apnea. If your mouth is opening and chin dropping already then this FFM strap could be making it worse. This is where a properly fit cervical collar comes in to try and hold chin up/forward.
Post Reply Post Reply
Third night in.
Much better results overnight. AHI 2.65
Although far from optimal comfort wise, the cervical collar, as suggested, very much helped the OSA.
No pillow for most of the night.
Leaks are up. Most likely due to the collar pushing on the bottom straps of the F20 mask. Also, side sleeping with pillow against mask for end of the night. The 3am mark.

Making progress......

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers look much better. Have you read the collar reviews in the soft cervical collar WIKI? http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar You may find one that's more comfortable. I think a higher minimum pressure of 9 may be beneficial but not if you find it uncomfortable.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello

Day 5 in.
Big reductions in leaks after altering F20 mask position. I did have it too low on my face.
Collar working well but still working on comfort with same. Still zero snoring. AHI down a lot.

Still feeling tired. Hoping that will improve.

Further comments on charts appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to see you've resolved the leaks. Unfortunately you still have positional apnea and your flow limitations and hypopnea have increased. I still think a minimum pressure of 9 would help but it won't overcome airway restriction due to chin tucking . Does the collar prevent your neck from flexing to move your chin closer to your chest? If not it may be too loose or too short. They are available in different heights.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2021, 01:04 PM)Melman Wrote: Glad to see you've resolved the leaks. Unfortunately you still have positional apnea and your flow limitations and hypopnea have increased. I still think a minimum pressure of 9 would help but it won't overcome airway restriction due to chin tucking . Does the collar prevent your neck from flexing to move your chin closer to your chest? If not it may be too loose or too short. They are available in different heights.

Thank you Melman

I had the collar a little looser, for comfort.
I do think my best sleeping position is on my back, no pillow, with the thickness of the collar supporting back of my neck. My back muscles are not liking it though.
So, in the night have I some time with a thin pillow and/or side sleeping. The best I can tell, these times are when the there are more 'AHI' events. (likely my neck flexing more towards my chest).
Making progress.

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try increasing min pressure to 10 cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting night.

My current theory is that the positional apnea the Team identified at the start of my treatment is 'Mouth Gape' rather than 'Neck kink'.
I would appreciate comments on this theory.

Following a successful previous night (AHI 4.2) with no collar but mouth taped shut, last night was a big contrast.

First half of the night was terrible. Started with a taped mouth but first conscious awakening was with a very dry mouth, failed taping and gaping mouth. Apneas galore. (AHI 15.9)
Second half of night, firm collar, with pillow. Goal was keeping mouth shut rather than neck un-kinked. (AHI 2.2)

Daytime positional experiments also seem to confirm 'Mouth Gape' apnea.

Going to get some better tape as the refreshing sleep the previous night is nice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Cervical collar works in a couple different way including holding chin up and forward which stops what you have coined mouth gape. The issue is probably your chin falling both down and back collapsing/restricting airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2021, 01:49 PM)pb12 Wrote: I had the collar a little looser, for comfort.
I do think my best sleeping position is on my back, no pillow, with the thickness of the collar supporting back of my neck. My back muscles are not liking it though.
So, in the night have I some time with a thin pillow and/or side sleeping. The best I can tell, these times are when the there are more 'AHI' events. (likely my neck flexing more towards my chest).
Making progress.

Phil

A common theme I've got running is that I'm size xsmall everywhere... small mask, small headgear, small airway -- and small neck! I am one of apneaboard's cervical collar success stories -- without the collar I can produce truly amazing bursts of positional apnea, while with it no apneas. BUT -- I was a lot more successful when I figured out that I needed to cut out 25% of the length of the collar to make it comfortable.

Your sleep report didn't have your neck circumference on it. Mine is 13 inches. The cervical collars that I can buy which are tall enough (I need at least 3-1/2 inches) start at 21 inches long.

On me, out of the box, the velcro "landing strip" was completely underneath the lapped-over end of the collar, with the velcro tab attaching to the stockinette further down. I cut the collar apart and cut out sections from both sides and then sewed it back together -- 2-1/2 inches on one side, 3 inches on the other, so, yes, 5-1/2 inches out of the starting 21 inches! Now when I put the collar on the two ends butt up against each other and the velcro tab ends up on the velcro landing strip where it belongs. Instead of this big lump at the back of my neck it's much smaller. I think that the big lump was actually pushing the front of the collar forward and it was allowing my chin to drop, and the lump in the back was also pushing my chin down.

(you should see my various McGyver moves to make gigantic-on-me headgear stay on my head -- sometimes I feel like a tiny person in big people world!)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 75 11 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 127 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 169 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 206 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 872 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.