Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Sleeping positions and AHI?
RE: Sleeping positions and AHI?

(06-23-2014, 11:37 AM)Caddyshack Wrote:
(06-23-2014, 09:14 AM)jaycee Wrote: If you are going to adjust your own auto cpap pressures, I would recommend increasing the starting pressure to what you can comfortably tolerate.

4 is too low IMO. You may be having apneas/hypopneas when you are first getting to sleep and the auto starts to kick up the pressure to deal with them. But if you start at a higher starting pressure you may be able to cut down on the amount of them when you are first getting into deep sleep.

So, when I am asked to recommend auto pressures on a patient:

Low = what they can comfortably tolerate
High = a little bit above their 95% pressure

So while a patient might start with a range of let's say 4 to 16 (I would never recommend personally starting a patient as low as 4 unless they absolutely couldn't tolerate more), as you get more and more used to the pressure I would keep increasing the low pressure as tolerated. I usually put the high pressure 1 or so above the 95% pressure.

Let's say your 95% pressure is 12. If you tolerate 12 with no difficulties, I would set your starting pressure at 12. As time passes, you may need to tweak your settings occasionally (especially with weight gain or loss).

I'll try this and get back to you. A little fuzzy on the high end pressure. If for example, I am at 12 starting pressure (Low) am I looking at 13 as the High pressure? I think that I am missing something here. Dont-know

There are a few other settings I may have changed, or need to be changed. I recognize the intelligence of changing one thing at a time and plan to start with pressure.

But, is there a way to bring the S9 back to factory defaults?

I really like Jaycee's advice on the starting pressure. You don't want the S9's default values because they are 4 and 20, as in "4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie." 4 is too low. 20 is too high (usually)

If it were me, I'd change the starting/minimum pressure to something like 10 and see what happens for a day or two. Then re-evaluate and go from there.

Post Reply Post Reply
By the way, you don't want/need to "export" the data from Sleepyhead. Once you have "imported" it, then you click on "Daily" to see the daily results. If nothing is there, then there is a setting on your Resmed that needs changed. I forget what it is, but someone else will fill that in for us..........
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2014, 12:38 PM)retired_guy Wrote: By the way, you don't want/need to "export" the data from Sleepyhead. Once you have "imported" it, then you click on "Daily" to see the daily results. If nothing is there, then there is a setting on your Resmed that needs changed. I forget what it is, but someone else will fill that in for us..........

there's no setting on resmed s9 machines that affects whether it writes detailed data on the card.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2014, 09:10 AM)Caddyshack Wrote: I have imported data into SLeepyhead. I see a place to export, but seems to be doing so in a CSV file format. Will this work for you, or is there a better format? Also should I export for last six months or what?

Bill

PS, I noticed that my max pressure is at about 12 and before I had it set at 17. Don't know why I changed it, but seems like it should be back at 17. Los pressure is about 5.

screenshot, (f12) upload to imgur or other photo sharing site, post link to the uploaded images here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2014, 12:38 PM)retired_guy Wrote: By the way, you don't want/need to "export" the data from Sleepyhead. Once you have "imported" it, then you click on "Daily" to see the daily results. If nothing is there, then there is a setting on your Resmed that needs changed. I forget what it is, but someone else will fill that in for us..........

Here it is:
"If you only see the Usage data, your DME has locked you out of the full Sleep Report Data. From the clinician menu, change the setting for Sleep Quality from Usage to On."

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2014, 01:02 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Here it is:
"If you only see the Usage data, your DME has locked you out of the full Sleep Report Data. From the clinician menu, change the setting for Sleep Quality from Usage to On."

that is incorrect. the "sleep quality" setting in the clinician menu *ONLY* affects what is displayed on the LCD when you press the 'i' button to view the "sleep quality" screen.

if it's set to 'usage' then *all* you see on the 'sleep quality' screen is how many hours you used it in the last 24 hours, rolling over at noon. if it's set to "on" then you get the ahi, mask fit face and the usage. This is documented in the clinician manual. check page 15 of the elite/autoset clinicians manual, pg 22 of the vpap auto/st/s, pg 19 of the vpap adapt, pg 26 of the st-a

that setting has *no* effect whatsoever on what is written to the card.[/i]
Post Reply Post Reply
some screenshots - no changes have been made yet

[attachment=883]

Post Reply Post Reply
Reset the lower pressure to 12 and have an AHI of .8 sleeping on my back. This is very good. I may be able to go more pressure because I don't feel any discomfort.

Been up since 2:00am, it is now 3:00am. Not sleeping well. I can't tell if business problems are keeping me awake (they are really not all that bad), or the APNEA is acting up, causing me to have mini-panic attacks that focus me on problems.

Took a small part of a sleeping pill. Don't like doing this, but want to sleep.

Thank you all for your kind input.
Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2014, 07:13 AM)Caddyshack Wrote: Looking for a solution where I can sleep on my back. Have developed slight arthritis in left shoulder that makes this position more difficult.
I too have some arthritic pains (hips) when sleeping on my side but have more events when sleeping on my back. I found that wearing a chin restraint under my mask harness helps me keep my lower jaw from falling down and back. That, in turn, helps keep my airway open.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.