Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Sometimes extremly high AHI withe new CPAP
Sometimes extremly high AHI withe new CPAP
Hi I have problems finding the right pressure with my RESMED 10 autoset. 

I have a pillow construction i used to minimze apnea before I got my machine (this inlcludes 3 Pillows, so my head lies very high) , with this construction  I have an AHI of 2-3 but stiff shoulders and neck too.

What I changed now is, that I went back to my normal two pillows(one big, one small ) I always used before the apnoa, but as you can see this does not work so well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sometimes extremly high AHI withe new CPAP
It is your pillow arrangement that is causing your positional apnea with characteristic clusters of intense OA. We can fix this, but you need to ditch a few pillows and understand that good sleeping posture is not with your head propped up high in a way that causes your chin to tuck towards your chest. With some people, we recommend a soft cervical collar, but since you are probably causing the issue by using excess pillows, you my just be able to learn a better way of sleeping with a lot less crap under your head. I think you might benefit from an increase in EPR setting to 2 or 3 to reduce flow limitation.

Here are a couple wiki articles for you to consider:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Limitation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

Try to obtain a pillow arrangement that lets your head fall back slightly, or if you sleep on your side, pull a corner of the pillow between your shoulder and jaw. This will keep your head aligned properly and prevent pressure from chin tucking. The soft cervical collar or wedge is a very effective fix, but you might as well try these free measures first.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the fast response. So I will change erp from 0 to 2 and regarding the pillows, please note that right now I experience better values with more Pillows  Dont-know .

The Image from last night was with a very small pillow until the second mask removal and with normal and small afterwards.

I attached a picture withe the pillow construction that for some weird reason gets better results.

What is also quite high is the current position of the head part of my bead.

I have gotten my self such a soft foam collar, but I find it very uncomfortable and could not get to sleep with it.

See Image below, what I tried when the oa cluster occured was the white one and one black (Hand for scale).

Second Image is with all three pillows and about 25 degree up of bed head part.

What would be your advice? Bed Head part down? completely?
Which pillows? White one only?

Post Reply Post Reply
Result of last night, only one pillow and I switched the head part of the bed was flad.

Help please.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would increase max pressure to 20 then post results tomorrow. Looking at your flow limits you may be better with a bit thgher pressure support on a BiLevel like the VAuto..

Let's see what happens tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with an increase in maximum pressure, and EPR at 3, however the pattern is strongly suggesting positional apnea and flow limitation. I think a trial on an inexpensive soft cervical collar will be productive. The fact you were trying to adjust your head position with pillows also points to this as a likely problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have such a collar already. I already  tried it one time, but could not get to sleep with it and removed it after one hour.
Is this ok? Commercial Link Removed, instead search Amazon for collar (Soles Halskrause und Nackenbandage) (Such ruff and neck bandage).

But I am willig to try it again. So pressure 20 ERP 3 and Collar tonight, right?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a 20 tonight and collar tomorrow. One change at a time
Post Reply Post Reply
The main criteria for a collar is that it prevents the chin from dropping, and it is comfortable. It sounds like this one is not comfortable to you. A loose fit that is supportive seems best.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
People seem to swear by the Coldera Releaf Collar - I use a tougher constructed one as found this too soft. If you tried a regular one and found it too hard then the relief being that much softer may work great for you ?

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 45 8 hours ago
Last Post: xaid
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 60 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,320 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 23 541 03-13-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 170 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 268 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR High AHI Frequent CA's - New to CPAP nixontahoe 9 329 03-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.