Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] String of OA and UA Events
String of OA and UA Events

Thankful for this forum and all of the help and knowledge provided so far.

Is someone able to explain the string of obstructive and unclassified events shown in my screenshot? Have been on APAP for almost two months now but I've never seen this behavior before...

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: String of OA and UA Events
Hi,

Leaks are the main problem here if you ask me... See how they increase when pressure itself increases ? The leak rate also goes way above what the machine can sustain. As such, it does not provide actual therapy anymore...
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Heracles. That makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hobbycamguy, the clustered obstructive events are typical of what we often call "positional apnea" or chin-tucking. It usually results from your head tilting forward causing an obstructive curve in the airway. This can happen on your back or side, but is very common. The cluster is caused by obstruction of the airway with periodic arousals that allow the sleeper to clear the airway, and resumption of sleep. In this case there is recovery breathing followed by increasing airway resistance and decreases in respiratory volume to the point of apnea. We often see arousal prior to apnea and a series of hypopnea or RERA as well. This appears to be an isolated incident over 7 minutes and relatively event free time for the remainder of the night. The increases in leaks during this episode show changes in body position or a physical leak caused by your mask hitting your chest, shoulder or a pillow and becoming partially dislodged.

Read the wikis on positional apnea and soft cervical collar linked in my signature links. You will quickly recognize the pattern and understand the problem. I don't think you need to do anything as long as this remains an isolated or infrequent problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow...thanks, Sleeprider. That explains it. I'm using a pretty firm pillow right now which is probably not helping with chin-tucking or mask seal either. Fortunately, I haven't seen this behaviour on any other nights so far.

And thanks for the links...an amazing amount of info in those wikis. This is quite an interesting journey....
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Indeed, such a pattern is --typical-- of positional apnea and it is --usually-- caused by the head tilting forward. Also, when it is the case, pressure is usually unable to fix it. But for this like for almost everything else, there are exceptions or different cases.

Here, my girlfriend had such a pattern once. A terrible session where she scored an AHI of 129 during the worst hour. Still, it happened only once despite she always sleep in the same position. Also, it happened when her APAP reached its maxed pressure allowed and never happened again since we allowed for a higher pressure. We since discovered the why about this. It was caused by her medication. She takes a muscle relaxant (baclofen) at a pretty high dose and her muscles ended up a little too relaxed. That is why pressure was able to fix it.

Of course, medication is probably not the only exception for such a pattern and it is always good to check the most common cause before looking at the more exotic ones.

Good luck improving your own situation,
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,322 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 194 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 214 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 113 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help to interpret "Events per Hour" data Fritz1255 1 154 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,555 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 380 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.