Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] That can't be right, can it?
Question 
That can't be right, can it?
I am still new to all of this stuff, I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea almost a year ago now and I am still confused. I was going over some of my paper work and it says my AHI during my sleep study was 118. That seems awfully high. Could that be right? It also says that my total number of apneas during my 7 hour sleep study was 524. Can someone maybe explain these two number to me a little better please? Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: That can't be right, can it?
(02-08-2013, 10:43 PM)theosgirl45 Wrote: I am still new to all of this stuff, I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea almost a year ago now and I am still confused. I was going over some of my paper work and it says my AHI during my sleep study was 118. That seems awfully high. Could that be right? It also says that my total number of apneas during my 7 hour sleep study was 524. Can someone maybe explain these two number to me a little better please?

It certainly is possible that your AHI was 118 during your sleep study. And that matches with the 524 episodes for seven hours of sleep. The bottom line is that you have severe sleep apnea. Really severe.

You need therapy to get this under control. CPAP is the usual therapy, but not everyone can tolerate it. Did your doc give you a prescription for a CPAP device? If I were you would go back to the doc and get a prescription for what is needed to get your AHI down to reasonable levels (<5 AHI, although 0 AHI is the holy grail). If you do not get this under control you are asking for a short lifespan.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2013, 11:29 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(02-08-2013, 10:43 PM)theosgirl45 Wrote: I am still new to all of this stuff, I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea almost a year ago now and I am still confused. I was going over some of my paper work and it says my AHI during my sleep study was 118. That seems awfully high. Could that be right? It also says that my total number of apneas during my 7 hour sleep study was 524. Can someone maybe explain these two number to me a little better please?

It certainly is possible that your AHI was 118 during your sleep study. And that matches with the 524 episodes for seven hours of sleep. The bottom line is that you have severe sleep apnea. Really severe.

You need therapy to get this under control. CPAP is the usual therapy, but not everyone can tolerate it. Did your doc give you a prescription for a CPAP device? If I were you would go back to the doc and get a prescription for what is needed to get your AHI down to reasonable levels (<5 AHI, although 0 AHI is the holy grail). If you do not get this under control you are asking for a short lifespan.

Yes, I use the icon premo. I have had it since June and I feel sooo much better now. I was just a little surprised by the numbers being so high, so thank you for responding. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, those numbers are high - but it explains why your pressure is set to 18. It's too bad you do not have the "InfoSmart Software" so you could monitor your current AHI levels. F & P's website shows that your model is data capable.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2013, 11:57 PM)PollCat Wrote: Yes, those numbers are high - but it explains why your pressure is set to 18. It's too bad you do not have the "InfoSmart Software" so you could monitor your current AHI levels. F & P's website shows that your model is data capable.

How would I go about getting the data? I know that my machine has a memory stick in it and the company who I got the machine from sometimes has me bring it in for them to copy info from, but how do I look at that info? No one really told me that is something I should do.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI is reached by taking the total number of events (obstructive, hypopneas, and central) and divides it by the number of hours slept.

The software can be bought. Supplier #26 has it for $89. I think they are the only ones now who are selling it.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
you can also use SleepyHead. SH is free and support the Icon
see post 6 for Icon report and post #7 for Icon glossary terms
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Questions

Icon setup instruction videos (plus other videos)
http://vimeo.com/20560260
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with an AHI of 125 2 months ago. I am using a respironics series 1 auto and am down to an average of 0.58 and even had an AHI of zero last night. So there is hope for all of us. Good Luck.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2013, 04:09 AM)zonk Wrote: you can also use SleepyHead. SH is free and support the Icon

Does SleepyHead fully support the Icon now? Or is it still in the testing stages?

If it supports Icons, let me know and I'll change the info on our SleepyHead download thread.

Huh
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2013, 08:35 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(02-09-2013, 04:09 AM)zonk Wrote: you can also use SleepyHead. SH is free and support the Icon

Does SleepyHead fully support the Icon now? Or is it still in the testing stages?

If it supports Icons, let me know and I'll change the info on our SleepyHead download thread.

Huh
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/sl...d_Hardware

[send you PM]

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.