Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] They want me to use a CPAP with oxygen concentrator
Rainbow 
They want me to use a CPAP with oxygen concentrator
I was diagnosed back in 2012 and had tonsillectomy, septum, sinus, & Uvula removal surgery. Just recently I went in for another sleep study and found that I still have sleep apnea, the excruciating surgery didn't help at all so now I am being prescribed a CPAP and because my oxygen levels were low they want me to use an oxygen concentrator. This is a bit of a concern to me, I'm 33 years and overweight but not morbidly. Adding a concentrator is kinda a big deal since it's an extra machine which can be large and loud to add to the CPAP machine. Do I really need this? I do live in Colorado, oxygen makes sense but this seems like a big pain. Any suggestions? I plan to ask my doctor and provider if I really need this too.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: They want me to use a CPAP with oxygen concentrator
I do it. 2 LPM injected into the CPAP flow.
You can get a concentrator that will run up to 5 LPM.

Some people seem to desat especially during REM sleep.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Princess! I'm older than you, but I wish my apnea was diagnosed at age 31! You will have 14 better years ahead of you than I did!

This probably all sounds frustrating and annoying. But honestly after 6 weeks you will start to feel a whole lot better. It can be hard at first, getting used to the machine and mask, and hose. But it is worth it. Hang in there and keep us informed of your progress and how things are going. We're here to help you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely ask. Doesn't hurt to bring up your concerns.

If you've never used an O2 concentrator, ask the DME for a long air tube so you can put the machine in another room. They get very warm. Which is great in the winter time but was too hot in the warmer months. Plus the noise is like sleeping next to Darth Vader.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Apneaprincess,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Yes, you should talk to your Dr. about your concerns.
I know concentrators are loud but if you are getting low on oxygen, you need to do something.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and let us know how you go with all this.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using one of these --
Smallest footprint, not too bad on noise (especially with my hearing.)
(There is always those soft foam earplugs.)
Generates some heat due to the compression of air required to remove the N2 from the air.
[Image: Screenshot_1.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks like the one I have. Respironics Everflo.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I use one at 3 liters per minute. As soon as I started it I noticed a definite increase in my daily well being.

Yes the dang thing is noisy. I sleep with a pair of sound cancelling headphones on my head, not connected to any sound source, but just to reduce the roar from the concentrator, which they do quite well at the expense of having to buy lots of AAA batteries. I already had the headphones.

I found foam earplugs ineffective and also anything stuck in my ears tends to amplify the pulses from the veins in the ear canal so I am constantly aware of my heartbeat and I find that disconcerting. The headphones at least don't have that effect. Also I can listen to music through them when I am on the road and they reduce the traffic roar. They were expensive, but to me they were worth it. These days I can't imagine living in the city without a decent pair of sound cancelling headphones.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Princess, I guess the question I would ask is "were my O2 levels low WHEN I was being treated with CPAP? (during titration). I would go there because in my case I know my O2 would be low without cpap, but with cpap I hang in around 93% all night, and that's not too bad.

I'm very much in favor of supplemental O2 when you need it. But not until you need it. I believe O2 is about as addictive as anything else, so for me, I'll go there eventually, but not before I exhaust all reasonable efforts to do without.

In you're in the higher density areas of Colorado, say Denver and such, adequate O2 should not be a problem for you. I lived many years above Idaho Springs at 7200' elevation. That would be a tad too high for me now. But 5280? Not a big deal. In Denver, air pollution will be as big a concern for you as anything else.

Post Reply Post Reply
I believe my sleep study showed that my oxygen levels are low even with the CPAP although it did help with the apnea. During the study they used the hose that just goes over the nose, it was awful, I hated it. I have sensory issues so I'm pretty scared about having to use a CPAP especially if they make me use a nasal only one. Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, has helped.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 918 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 525 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,061 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 417 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.