Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Titration Study Newbie Question
Titration Study Newbie Question
Hi y'all,

I went to my GP's at the end of this past summer after feeling dead tired for awhile, had bloodwork drawn and a sleep study scheduled. Bloodwork came back saying I had vitamin B-12 & Vitamin D deficiencies as well as low testosterone. I've been on medication for that since then. I had my sleep study back at the end of October where they told me I had severe sleep apnea with an AHI of 87 per hour and an average oxygen saturation of 57%. 

I had my titration study this past Sunday night where the clinic said being on the CPAP, my AHI dropped to less than 1 per hour and oxygen saturation never dropped below 92%.

My question is this, I've read and heard a lot of people online and on YouTube who say they felt amazing after being hooked up to the CPAP machine their first night. However, I distinctly remember waking up Monday morning feeling like total garbage. I had a really hard time even driving myself home after the study because I felt so incredibly sleepy. I know that everyone experiences things differently. I just would have thought that with results that were so much better I would have maybe felt better instead of worse than I normally do. 

I'm still full steam ahead on getting a CPAP machine and getting started with it, just thought it was weird to have felt so crappy after getting such a "good" night's sleep. 

Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Titration Study Newbie Question
There is a period of acclimation many of us go through when new to CPAP therapy. For most there is no “aha” moment with CPAP, it is a process where we adapt over time. 

Do you know what machine they are going to recommend you get? If you can, ask for a prescription that allows a CPAP, APAP, or bilevel. ResMed is the preferred vendor.

Masks are another challenge for some. If you are not a mouth breather then give nasal pillows a try. If you do mouth breathe and have nasal congestion issues at times, go with a full-face or half-face mask. Getting someone to help you fit them will help get you to a good place. There are also plenty of YouTube videos from LankyLefty27 and CPAP Reviews to help in that regard.

When you get your machine let us know and someone wil help you find a good range to start from to get you off on the proper footing.

Good luck! Let us know how we can help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 71 6,500 Yesterday, 08:19 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 95 1,859 Yesterday, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie Richg44006 17 7,038 04-25-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: jean23
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 10 317 04-22-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,208 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 215 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 203 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.