Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Titration study scheduled - Newbie & need advice...
Question 
Titration study scheduled - Newbie & need advice...
My Titration study is scheduled for Friday, yay! Banana

During this study, is there anything I should be aware of? Anything to ask or be assured of? Also, will any decisions be made at this time? (No doctor has talked to me yet, other than my primary physician, who read the Dr's report and ordered the Titration based on it's advisement.)

Want to be prepared as I can be, especially not being stuck with a machine that doesn't work well for me.

Background info: During my initial sleep study I basically had a mild amount of apnea the entire night - except when I went to REM sleep, where my AHI jumped to 47.2 (Mostly obs mixed with some centrals). But during the REM periods, my oxygen desaturations fell into the 70% range. Because of the low apnea during non-Rem it dropped my overall AHI for the entire night to 16.

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Titration study scheduled - Newbie & need advice...
Just let it happen. Nothing to worry about yet. I still think you will be getting a machine for complex apnea, and it's hard to get a bad one of those.

Relax. If you have problems sleeping in strange places, or if you are anxious about this procedure, consider asking your doctor for an ambien or similar sleep aid. If you slept well for the Dx study, then no problem. You should sleep even better with the pressure support.

You could have put this in your last thread, and replied to the questions there. That way the information would be together with your previously posted sleep study information http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-my-report
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The in-home study was probably the worst night of sleep I've had in my life. The in-clinic one wasn't bad at all: Relax- it'll make it go easier.

You might want to read up on the different machines, what all the terms mean, etc. They generally don't get people who are prepared and well read, but taking charge of your own well being is important. Ask for a copy of your study data: They'll probably get a deer-in-the-headlight look and try to make an excuse, but just remind them that under HIPPA you have the right to inspect, review, and receive a copy of your medical records, and that they wouldn't want to commit a HIPPA violation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys for your replies. Really appreciate your advice. The HIPPA one is golden! Thanks

(06-10-2015, 08:12 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You could have put this in your last thread, and replied to the questions there. That way the information would be together with your previously posted sleep study information http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-my-report

True, but I like to keep my threads organized by subject matter. Helps me to find them when I need to refer to them later, and I think it makes it a bit easier for others to find answers on the same subjects as well. :-)
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ailu,
Good luck to you at your titration.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trish! Smile

(06-10-2015, 09:18 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Ailu,
Good luck to you at your titration.

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
Be aware that many of is don't sleep well in the lab. You will be wired and masked up. It's annoying and not conducive to sleep!

However what they want from you, is to measure your breathing patterns in all positions (back, stomach, left side, right side) in 4 sleep stages. If/when you have an event, they will manually increase your pressure to find out at what pressure is needed. This is recorded for all sleep stage/position combinations.

The last, deepest sleep stage is REM, and the position with most apnea events is on your back. So the pressure to stop events happening at REM/on back is likely going to be your max pressure. During stage 1 sleep and on your side or stomach is likely to be the least pressure and becomes your minimum.

Of course if other exciting things happen, like centrals, these are noted and they check them out too! We all cycle through the 4 sleep stages throughout the night. So they will want you asleep as long as possible to get the best data over several cycles. So let them do their work, and you relax and have some good dreams.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you think you want to go with nasal pillows, don't hesitate to ask the tech for a mask in that category. In my case, the tech hooked me up with the GoLife Mask for women. It was not as comfortable as my Wisp mask, but definitely was stable and let me sleep on my side. Adding some pads to the cheeks would help on that. The tech may decline however, if there is reason to believe that the pressure required is going to be at or above the recommended pressure for nasal pillows. I'm sure after hundreds of studies, the techs have a bit of a handle on what works and doesn't work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, you guys are awesome. Thumbs-up-2

Definitely going to try for the nasal pillows at first!

I am bringing some lorazepam to help me sleep. Brought some with me on the initial study and it helped me fall asleep quite quickly, even with all those wires attached to my face & head!

Another question - is their the possibility that they will awaken you in the middle of the night to switch masks and/or equipment, based on the results they are seeing?
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2015, 08:53 AM)lmoretti Wrote: Ask for a copy of your study data

Hi Ailu,
It will probably take a few days for them to compile ,interpret and summarize the data and you probably won't be able to get it before your Dr does . Just so you ' re not surprised.
Yes they may wake you to change out equipment if they deem it necessarySometimes depends on timing , how much of the night is left to work with. In the morning you could ask if they were successful treating apneas in Rem but they may or may not say as they aren't Drs .You know how that goes.
Have a good sleep titration.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,854 2 hours ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 396 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 80 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.