Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Titration study scheduled - Newbie & need advice...
RE: Titration study scheduled - Newbie & need advice...
Hi All!

Well I just got home from having my Titration study! The tech put a nasal mask on me (non-pillow type) that also buckled to my forehead. Seemed pretty comfortable, and I sleep from about 10:30pm until 4am on my back! (Something I haven't been able to do in years!).

But at 4am I awoke with a headache, I think it was due to too much air pressure - it seemed like I was in a wind tunnel! Took the mask off and called for the tech, and let her know. Don't know what she did but when the mask went back on it wasn't blowing as hard. But had trouble getting back to sleep so I turned on my side. When I awoke at 7:15 I was back on my back, and my headache was still there, only much milder.

Regarding the mask, I don't think it's the one I'll pick, because it left the bridge of my nose red & sore. But other than that, I really didn't have too much trouble with it.

Differences this morning:
  1. Usually I sit in a stupor for an hour until I "wake up". But this morning I only felt groggy for about 5 minutes.

2. I am nowhere as clumbsy as I usually am in the morning! Haven't ran into a door or a wall yet!

3. I am typing this at least as twice as fast as I usually do.

4. I am in a good mood. (I am never in a good mood when I wake up! Ask my husband! lol)

All in all, I think this is going to work for me! Smile
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
I experienced headaches when I first went on cpap, then when I went on bi pap and asv. I was my body's way of adjusting.

The benefits of being a hose head are great. I find that every new mask takes a bit getting used to (I'm on a mask extravaganza trying to find the best one so I've been through a bunch). If your face is sore, something may be too tight. That has happened to me.

Best of luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2015, 10:45 AM)Ailu Wrote: Hi All!

Well I just got home from having my Titration study! The tech put a nasal mask on me (non-pillow type) that also buckled to my forehead. Seemed pretty comfortable, and I sleep from about 10:30pm until 4am on my back! (Something I haven't been able to do in years!).

But at 4am I awoke with a headache, I think it was due to too much air pressure - it seemed like I was in a wind tunnel! Took the mask off and called for the tech, and let her know. Don't know what she did but when the mask went back on it wasn't blowing as hard. But had trouble getting back to sleep so I turned on my side. When I awoke at 7:15 I was back on my back, and my headache was still there, only much milder.

Regarding the mask, I don't think it's the one I'll pick, because it left the bridge of my nose red & sore. But other than that, I really didn't have too much trouble with it.

1. Usually I sit in a stupor for an hour until I "wake up". But this morning I only felt groggy for about 5 minutes.

2. I am nowhere as clumbsy as I usually am in the morning! Haven't ran into a door or a wall yet!

4. I am in a good mood. (I am never in a good mood when I wake up! Ask my husband! lol)

Hi Ailu,
It's good to hear your titration went relatively well.
That's one thing I remember about my first sleep study, the sleep tech tightened the nasal mask I was using so tight I thought she was trying to put my head back together, (Ha-Ha-Ha.) I'm glad I found out through reading many posts that you really don't need the nasal mask that tight, or at least that was the case for me.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Bronty & Trish! The tech did put my nose mask on too tight at first, but I protested and she loosened it. I think the sore came from when I finally rolled over onto my side and slept with my head downward, I think I ended up smashing the top of the mask into the bridge of my nose. Darn thing is still sore. lol

That's one thing I am so grateful to learn from reading posts from you all on this forum, that one can try pretty much as many masks as they want until thry get something that works for them. Kinda interested in the Fisher Paykel Pilairo ... gonna post a thread to see if anyone has anything to say about it.
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on a good titration!

I get a headache from too little humidity. It feels like a hangover!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2015, 11:02 PM)trailrider Wrote: Congrats on a good titration!

I get a headache from too little humidity. It feels like a hangover!

Thanks TrailRider! I post my titration results here once I receive the report.
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2015, 10:45 AM)Ailu Wrote: Hi All!

Interesting, that although I was energetic in the morning (for the first time in years) I suddenly became sleepy around noon, and was extremely sleepy the rest of the day. All I could think about is how much I wanted night to come so I could go to bed! I wonder if that's due to the rebound effect that I keep hearing about?
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps you over-analyze, which newbies have a tendency to do.

Just do not put too much analyzing into how you felt the following day. This is all new to you, and the mask and pressure
are foreign things to which you have not adapted.

IOW, I think that if you'll just be patient, wait for the titration results, then go from there, you will fare well and feel better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course you are right... but I'm just too darn excited! I spend a couple of hours over in the "Success Stories" thread forum and now I'm hopelessly hopeful. lol Rolleyes

(06-14-2015, 03:02 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: Perhaps you over-analyze, which newbies have a tendency to do.

Just do not put too much analyzing into how you felt the following day. This is all new to you, and the mask and pressure
are foreign things to which you have not adapted.

IOW, I think that if you'll just be patient, wait for the titration results, then go from there, you will fare well and feel better.

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,830 7 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 304 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.