Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with 9.52 AHI from CA events
RE: Help with 9.52 AHI from CA events
I did do a sleep study and got 17 AHI w/ them being exclusively Hypopneas. I believe 1 was “mixed” and 16 hypopneas per hour.

Do you think the next step should be trying fixed 7 pressure OR EPR set to 1?

Also when you look at my other post you can see all my days during the titration study. For some reason the EPR of 3 was less of an issue there, maybe because the median pressure was lower?
Post Reply Post Reply
Go ahead and try EPR 1 for a day or two. If Hypopnea or FL rise, then you know you need some EPR in the mix.

It's going to be a balancing act... more EPR may cause more CA's, but EPR is needed to lower FL.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ran the night w/ EPR still at 2 and APAP set to 7.0-7.0. Results look comparable to previous night, but:
- There were longer stretches were oxygen was at its peak for a while.
- I felt less tired when I woke up.
- I didn't take the mask off.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2022, 11:15 AM)YouTakeMyBreathAway Wrote: - There were longer stretches were oxygen was at its peak for a while.
- I felt less tired when I woke up.
- I didn't take the mask off.  

All positive!  

When your ready, try EPR 1.  Keep the pressure at 7-7 auto mode.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a check-in w/ my doctor and they recommended taking down the pressure to 4-15, since that had given me a pretty low AHI during my titration study (1.69 - 2.09).

Instead of taking it all the way down, I took it from 7-7 to 6-6:
- 2.36 AHI (decreased from 3.52)
- Most (not all) of the CAs now look like "False CAs", with a spike 1-2 breaths before the CA.
- Had two OA events, so I'm probably reaching the bottom of how far I can go in terms of pressure setting.

There still seems to be some room for improvement. 

Next step could be taking EPR to 1, since decreasing pressure to 5-5 will likely further increase OAs?

What is a good target AHI / fully treated AHI?

Post Reply Post Reply
Same settings today, but I woke up extremely tired. Looks like I had a few RERA events, but AHI stayed similar to before. What could the reason be?

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2022, 10:53 AM)YouTakeMyBreathAway Wrote: What is a good target AHI / fully treated AHI?

An AHI under 5 is considered clinically treated, but most of us like to see a lower number.   There isn't a "fully treated AHI" number, unless you can reach 0, and that's unrealistic.

Instead of looking at the total AHI number, focus on the makeup of that number.
You're attempting to lower pressure to decrease Obstructives.... but you don't have that many Obstructives showing up.  The CA's could be an issue, but they usually decrease over time.  What I'm trying to say is that focusing on how low we can get the AHI number doesn't always equal how we feel.  

Then there's Flow Limitations and Reras.   These events can cause you arousals many time during the night, and some you're not even aware of.  Needless to say, you're not going to feel that great the next day.

Keep in mind that to lower FL, you need EPR.... but EPR can cause an increase in CA's.  
Higher pressure can also aggravate CA's.

I think I commented earlier that it could be a balancing act.  You'll have to decide what settings you can live with and how you feel, not so much the total AHI.

I suggest you start keeping notes on the settings you've used and the breakdown of events and how you feel the next day.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
That makes sense, where would you go I go next from 6-6 w/ EPR 2?

It seems like I was not just subjectively way more tired this morning, my oxygen also looks to have been lower during the night, despite no increase in AHI. Flow Limitations were increased a bit, maybe that was the reason. I do remember having a bit of a stuffy nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't take it below 6. Try EPR 1.
I think your CA's will lessen in time, and the other events are low. Just watch your oxygen levels.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
OP's OSCAR chart for June 30 and July 1 both show Flow Limit of 0.03, not large enough to be considered a problem. AFAIK, it is generally desired for flow limits to be below 0.10 so OP is in good shape there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 339 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 267 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 764 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.