Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile
Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile
So I did a home sleep study a few weeks ago, still waiting for the results. I'm tired during the day, and just generally find it miserable to get out of bed in the morning. I ordered a CMS50D+ and used it for the first time last night. I'm a tech guy, but I was nervous about all the problems that I saw with people getting data off it. I'll admit it's less than intuitive, but it worked for me the first time! Yay! Anyhow, data is below (I think I got the right thing!).

imgur.com/a/kdJCm

What's that look like to you people? (seems that since I'm new I can't post images....stupid spammers ruining it for everyone :/)

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile
Looks similar to mine last year. The o2 levels, and the pulse rate.

Good info to have while you're waiting. I used mine to help me decide to get a study done.

I ended up with a 39 AHI from the study.

Sleepyhead often records 40-60 second apneas in my case, especially when I don't have my pressure optimized.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know how to understand these things that well, but looking at the graph, your general pulse rate seems rather high. Now, mine is far from normal when laying down, so it could simply be my interpretation, but I thought a normal pulse rate was between 60 and 70? Yours looks like it is always over 80? Could it be a calibration thing?

I THINK having an oxygen under 95 is considered a problem, especially since yours goes on all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2016, 03:43 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I don't know how to understand these things that well, but looking at the graph, your general pulse rate seems rather high. Now, mine is far from normal when laying down, so it could simply be my interpretation, but I thought a normal pulse rate was between 60 and 70? Yours looks like it is always over 80? Could it be a calibration thing?

I went back and looked at general doctor's visits over the last year (I go AT LEAST every 3 months, has been more frequent lately) and pulse rate there is almost always in the 80 range, so I think that's my "normal" (and no one has ever expressed concern over it)

Just threw the oximeter on for the last few minutes and it's around 81-85 during the day as well at least according to it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi jds2001,
WELCOME! to the forum!

Good luck to you as you wait for the results of your sleep study.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My heart rate would spike when the oxygen level started getting low. Kind of like when you're exercising hard and getting out of breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2016, 10:03 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: My heart rate would spike when the oxygen level started getting low. Kind of like when you're exercising hard and getting out of breath.

This is exactly what happens as your body tries to get the right amount of oxygen pumping through your system. When CPAP kicks in your HR should drop into a more normal zone. If it doesn;t then you might need to see your MD about it.

One thing you can do is just lie down in bed with your oximeter on while you are fully awake and see if this is reading a normal HR. It will also give you O2 rates as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
After much following up with the sleep center, I got my preliminary report (they said the final one should be sometime this week or early next week):

Sleep: Adequate sleep was recorded. He slept in the supine and bilateral decubitus positions.

Respiration: Some sustained flow limitation was observed, interrupted by occasional respiratory effort related events. Events were most notable during the combination of supine REM.

Lowest O2 saturation: 81 %.

So does that qualify as apnea or not???? I'm left more confused than before I saw it Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the low O2 means you need something.
Did they tell you how many apneas and hypopneas happened? Those would indicate a need for a PAP of some sort.
Just low O2 might mean you need something more like an oxygen supply and/or ventilator to get the O2 into the lungs.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope, no AHI. I assume that comes on the full, scored results which they said that I should have sometime by the end of the week/early next week. But I don't have a followup appointment with the doctor until January, so no treatment for me til then (I assume). Sad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 241 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,222 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.