Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: What was your sleep study AHI?
This poll is closed.
None/Minimal: AHI < 5 per hour
1.72%
1 1.72%
Mild: AHI ≥ 5, but < 15 per hour
12.07%
7 12.07%
Moderate: AHI ≥ 15, but < 30 per hour
27.59%
16 27.59%
Severe: AHI ≥ 30 per hour
58.62%
34 58.62%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Diagnosis] What Was Your Sleep Study AHI?
Question 
What Was Your Sleep Study AHI?
I just had my first follow-up appointment with my respirologist since beginning CPAP in May. My sleep study had been in April and based on its results, the respirologist told me to start CPAP. Whether he told me the actual AHI from the polysomnography or not I can't recall, but in any case it would have been mumbo-jumbo to me at the time since I had no idea what those numbers meant.

In the following months, I tried to educate myself a little, read up on apnea and CPAP, participate in forums like this one, and make use of Sleepyhead. While certainly not an expert, like many of us here I gradually came to understand more, but one thing I still didn't know was what my initial untreated AHI was before starting CPAP, as determined by the sleep study. Knowing that gives you a kind of baseline against which to measure the effectiveness of your CPAP.

So I couldn't wait to ask the doctor what it was when I met him in late December. He informed me my April sleep study AHI had been 38, which we know is usually considered severe.

So, if you'd like to share, what was your sleep study AHI?

• None/Minimal: AHI < 5 per hour
  • Mild: AHI ≥ 5, but < 15 per hour
  • Moderate: AHI ≥ 15, but < 30 per hour
  • Severe: AHI ≥ 30 per hour
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What Was Your Sleep Study AHI?
97.3 Not too bad.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
AHI of 37.
Lowest oxygen desat was 69%.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI: 86.2, No REM sleep
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From Sleep Study Jan. 2017, all hypopneas:

"Overall REI of 21.9/hour.  This is moderately severe and associated with desaturation to 71% SaO2.  Note that home studies may underrepresent severity of AHI." 

Interestingly, reading it again, I noticed that the Dr. "Recommendation" was "Laboratory titration of positive airway pressure."  That didn't happen - they sent a DME over with a machine set to its default pressure of 4 to 20.  Rolleyes 
Thankfully, I found this site.
Post Reply Post Reply
Total AHI 28.4
supine position AHI 41.5
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI 70
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I remember the number 85.  I've been on APAP for 33 days.  My average AHI last week was 2.78 according to Sleepyhead and Rescan software.
In the last 30 days my average is 4.1.  I still am having a bad night every once in a while.  My best AHI was .13 on 1/1/18--Happy New Year. For the most part I feel pretty refreshed when I wake up.  My follow up with the sleep doc is on Monday.  Should be interesting.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first study, I didn't get to sleep in time, so I had to go back and have a second one, (the titration.)
That was when The people at the sleep lab told me that I had moderate obstructive sleep apnea, )OSA.)
they said the numbers were somewhere in the 30's.
The sleep lab didn't want to give me a lot of information, they just turned it over to my doc and they told me all the particulars, but I don't remember the exact numbers.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep  study 1996:
RDI 73, lowest O2 61%
Severe OSA
Treatment fixed CPap @ 12.0 cm of h2O
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.