Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] What are these deep breaths and holds?
Question 
What are these deep breaths and holds?
I don't highly suspect I have apnea, but I took a home test "just to be sure". I didn't notice any drops in O2 overnight below 93% (most of the time around 95%). However, I do notice a handful of these events:

I wasn't able to post with a picture or link, so here is a link (remove the space):

http s://i.imgur.com/VeJwd53.png

[Image: VeJwd53.png]

Basically, I'm breathing normally... then I take in a deep breath, then pause/hold it for 15-20 seconds. My pulse bumps up right as I take the breath in and my O2 levels generally increase, then my breathing returns to normal before my O2 really falls much (if at all). I generally don't notice much pulse rate changes or movement (via thorax) after most of these events. Hypopnea, from what I understand, doesn't seem to have a big breath before it and has a significant associated O2 saturation drop, no?

Just trying to figure out if these are "normal" events after taking a deep breath or classified as hypopnea events. I'd say they happened ~11 times in the very broken sleep I got (very uncomfortable wearing the home sleeping kit). I probably only got maybe ~4 hours of solid sleep over the course of ~7.5 hours.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What are these deep breaths and holds?
The experts will be glad to help but they are data driven and need to see your OSCAR charts. Download the free OSCAR software (see link in black banner at top of the page) and post your charts per instructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt that any of us are familiar with the data from home diagnostic kits.

All I can say is that something caused you to take a deep breath. After that what happened seems quite normal.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not have a CPAP device. I just used a take-home ResMed sleep study device that I was able to extract EDF files from. I provided a screenshot URL of the questionable data. I couldn't find a way to process or display the data with OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like some sort of spontaneous arousal, probably as you rolled over/changed position, which often involves taking a deep breath (which increases SpO2, decreases CO2, with some lag, and a brief increase in HR), and then a pause in breathing (which a CPAP would label as CA / Central Apnea if it exceeded 10 seconds).

Doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary, particularly if they are infrequent and irregular.

edfbrowser is probably the best tool for looking at this, as you found, unless you have the associated vendor tool.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Kappa is probably on the right path.. 

I was also going to suggest it may be a "rolling over" event as I've noticed I hold my breath when rolling over in bed, which is something I do often as I have bursitis in my shoulders which cause much pain and means I'm rolling from side to side often while in bed.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
I edited the first post to include the image. The respiratory wave shows a classic increasing flow limitation as indicated by a downward sloping inspiratory peak, leading to a recovery breath which is the definitions of RERA. Following the deep recovery breath, your respiratory needs were met, carbon dioxide was reduced and you simply slowed then stopped your breathing for what appears to be 15 seconds. This is not a breath-hold. There is a complete exhale from the recovery breath and the two small following breaths show normal expiration ahead of the breathing cessation. Most CPAP units will flag this as a central apnea.

We can tell from the graph that the resp thorax line does not show respiratory effort during the breathing cessation, so the event is not obstructive. Pulse rises rapidly with the arousal and falls back to normal or below during the CA event, and your SpO2 shows a dip during the recovery breath and a rapid rise following that breath. We can assume the CO2 is the inverse of the SpO2 and respiratory drive follows accordingly.

[Image: VeJwd53.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say thanks for this response sleeprider. I have learned a lot from your responses being on here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry sleeprider if this is a dumb question but what would OP do to correct what you've pointed out? I'm guessing increase PS? Does anything need to be done? I have very similar things every night in my chart.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 112 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 859 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 586 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  reading oscar data- deep sleep nachumj 6 821 10-10-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Intermittent large breaths jwest 0 293 08-20-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Are my breaths normal? Long pauses, jagged lines. Nathan Graves 5 977 07-23-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: car54
Video Little deep sleep based on sleep cycle Mouchet 3 1,395 04-02-2023, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.