Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] What does all this OSCAR data mean? Help?
What does all this OSCAR data mean? Help?
Shy     Hello all, great site 
I had my sleep study done at an overnight stay at a clinic back in late Sept. A few weeks later I get a call from a doctor who tells me I have moderate OSA and will be receiving a CPAP machine soon and he recommends a Nasal Cradle Mask. I still do not have a real machine yet due to the recall and ships being backed up so I learned all I could about this condition and bought an Airmini While I wait. My AHI has been consistently under 1 according to the app as I have been steadfast and committed to wearing the mask every night, all night. He prescribed a pressure of 5-20 (duh) but I was able to turn off the ramp and change the pressure to 8-15, I typically have pressures according to the app at 12-14. I do not feel any better but my wife says I do not snore or stop breathing and now hang out on my side of the bed.  My question is, am I even going this right and can I trust the Airmini app?        
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Question
I guess I trust the Airmini. Thanks for all your help
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't think of a reason not to trust the (limited) data you're getting from the AirMini. Your AHI is great, and your commitment to using the machine is terrific. Your wife's testimony backs up the positive picture you're getting from the machine's data.

In your place, I wouldn't change a thing. Except ... you didn't mention whether you are using Expiratory Pressure Relief (EPR). If you're not, you might find it comfortable, and if you're having flow limitations, it might help you with them.

What is the real machine you'll be getting?

It can take time to start feeling better, and improvement can come slowly, even imperceptibly from one night to the next. So some patience is called for. Meanwhile, you might review the guidelines for good sleep, in case there are some changes you might consider making.

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the kind advise and answer to my question. I am using the EPR settings on 3, I am supposed to be getting the Air-sense 11, but I am not holding my breath. My rep at the sleep center told me they are not expecting to send out new machines until January and they do not have any loners to give but she would be happy to forward her order on to whatever company can get 1. I didn't look since I don't wanna hurt a Phillips Recall person from getting a machine. I will just have to make due with my travel PAP until my true machine arrives. I must be honest and say I really could use a dedicated water supply and ditch these junky capsules and I am standing by with OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, that’s going to be an excellent machine! I hope it surprises you by coming early.

Have you experimented with using no humidity? Some people like that. Maybe worth seeing whether you’re one of them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the F20 full face mask with no humidity, and personally, I did not even notice the difference but I experienced way to many leaks and went back to the N20 nasal mask. I really am intrigued by other masks and hate being limited to a few by the Mini, but since i just retired, money is not flowing for me anymore and I'd rather just wait out the arrival of my new insurance bought machine before I begin experimenting with masks.  Something to look forward to I suppose. I forked out close to $900 bucks for the travel PAP and it's proprietary mask. I like your suggestion of trying the N20 W/O the humidification disc, I think I will give that a try tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations, you are doing well. Is the pressure of 12 to 14 the median pressure or the 90 percent pressure? Hopefully this resolves most of your symptoms.
1. Sleep latency
2. REM latency
3. Entire lack of deep sleep (stage N3) which is key for restorative effect
4. PLMS - did you say you did move around the bed before, but not since this treatment?

Good luck.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
The 12-14 is 95%. I awoke last night around 2am with my trusty N20 nasal mask placed neatly on my bed next to my head. Funny I don't recall taking it off but I must have. I couldn't breath through my nose so I took out my F20 full face mask, it turns out 8 is to high of a pressure to fall asleep to for me in a full face, so I changed the pressure to 5-15 and slept the rest of the night without incident.

All of this occurring without humidity. My mini score in the A.M. was still an 89 with a .7 AHI. but plenty of "Adjust Mask" (leaks), and "Mask Off" scenarios.

Will OSCAR be able to decipher my N3 sleep? It worries me a bit to think I could take off my mask without remembering.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2021, 02:18 PM)Mac136 Wrote: Will OSCAR be able to decipher my N3 sleep? It worries me a bit to think I could take off my mask without remembering.

Not sure I'm understanding the question here.  If your mask isn't on, there will be no data recording onto your SD card and thus no data for Oscar to display during the mask-off interval.

Actually it's pretty common for people to take the mask off without remembering.  To prevent this, you could try putting some medical tape across a strap, fastening it to the skin of your face on both sides.  Then if you try to pull the mask off, the tug on your skin will wake you up enough so you can leave the mask in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will heed your suggestion and try that.
Yes, I used to flip flop in bed consistently, but it has ceased since CPAP. My favorite night move was to lie on my back and cross my legs like I was seated and my leg would inevitably slide off and hit the bed with a "thud" which was off putting to my partner to say the least. I was doing it 50 times in a row but no more!
The things that concerned me most about the sleep study was that I would never get to NE3 (deep sleep) and my 02 levels would dip disturbingly low (81%).  I think all that is behind me now but I will not no for sure until my actual machine arrives and I can get some OSCAR data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 51 9 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 66 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 145 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 174 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.