Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difference between central and clear airway apnea
RE: Difference between central and clear airway apnea
(05-19-2016, 06:10 AM)archangle Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 02:43 AM)Luvmyzzz Wrote: I hope I'm not being rude by adding my thoughts to this thread, (BTW; Hello E-1Smile ) But as I read this section, I have vivid recall of my initial sleep study back in 2005, I had no idea what to expect, and no one offered support through this journey. But what scared me the most was finding out my brain wasn't sending the signal!! Does any one know what causes the brain to NOT send the signal??
e.g: heredity, aging, stress, poor occupation choices?? Just curious...if any one had ideas or info on the problem... thanks for having this blessed forum, it is a TRUE blessing for me!

Good point. We tend to discuss the "brain doesn't send the signal" part of the discussion a little too glibly. I imagine it's a pretty scary thing to someone who isn't familiar with the idea.

There's no need to panic. It's just a different form of sleep apnea, not necessarily worse.

You probably think "brain damage" when you hear the description of central apnea. While that's possible, it's not necessarily that bad.

Central apnea isn't necessarily worse than obstructive, it's just somewhat harder to treat, and has to be treated by different means than obstructive. Unless you have a large number per hour or the individual apnea lasts a long time, don't worry about central vs. obstructive.

You do need to be careful when increasing your CPAP pressure because you may increase your central apnea at the same time you're decreasing your obstructive. This is one of the biggest reasons all CPAPers should have a fully data capable machine and monitor their results.

As to the cause of central apnea, the scientists know a number of factors, but most of the time, it's a mystery.

For some people, CPAP pressure causes some central apnea. It's worse at higher pressures, so you sometimes have to try to find a compromise between central and obstructive apnea.

Some drugs, especially opioids, can make it worse.

Some heart problems can cause Cheyne-Stokes respiration, which can be a form of central apnea. Don't panic over this, because many people with perfectly healthy hearts get central apnea.

Mayo clinic has a page.

Even "normal" people may get some "central apnea," as well as obstructive apnea. It only becomes important if it's bad enough.

[/quote]You do need to be careful when increasing your CPAP pressure because you may increase your central apnea at the same time you're decreasing your obstructive. This is one of the biggest reasons all CPAPers should have a fully data capable machine and monitor their results. [/quote]

Yes!! I've seen the forum notes of some who tinker with their settings, I have never had the urge to try it.. But I know that since I've had my new Resmed Auto10 my sleep is Oh So Much Better! I am a Happy Girl now!! Smile Big Grin but most of all I found THIS forum!! THAT alone has made such a difference (I'd send everyone they favorite food if I could I am so grateful!!)

Sleep-well my forum friends and acquaintances Sleep-well
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,669 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,570 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 204 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 120 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,062 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 632 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 10 1,349 04-02-2024, 04:45 AM
Last Post: baolitoumu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.