Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] What is the typical progression and speed of developing apnea?
What is the typical progression and speed of developing apnea?
Hi

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (home sleep study attached) with AHI of 24.8 in October 2019, got my cpap in Dec 2019 and have been using it every night. 

For several years, think at least 5 maybe more, I was having trouble getting up in the morning even after 9-10 hours of sleep, had low energy, mood wasn't good and couldn't get through many days without a nap. 

I was curious given my study and diagnosis, how much earlier I might have had apnea? (partly as I am curious about how it progress, partly that think doctor should have ordered sleep study earlier)

Thanks 

Shri

Attached Files
.pdf   Home sleep study Anonymized.pdf (Size: 750.54 KB / Downloads: 5)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is the typical progression and speed of developing apnea?
What was the first time someone told you you snored? I am fairly sure I had it for 7 to 10 years prior to being diagnosed.

My doctor wanted one as soon as I had high blood pressure.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Most importantly get OSCAR and post some data so all these great people can help optimize your nights.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm certain I had SA at least 15 years prior to being diagnosed.

My doctor usually ignored/brushed off my complaints over the years.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really don’t believe you progress. Added weight, age would be more import factors. If you have apnea you have it and IF your sleep and oxygen supply is effected you feel it. Many people do have it but still get enough good sleep not to go to a Dr.  many times it is the spouse that can’t sleep with the snoring and gasping that pushes the person to find out they have sleep apnea.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2021, 04:56 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I really don’t believe you progress. Added weight, age would be more import factors. If you have apnea you have it and IF your sleep and oxygen supply is effected you feel it. Many people do have it but still get enough good sleep not to go to a Dr.  many times it is the spouse that can’t sleep with the snoring and gasping that pushes the person to find out they have sleep apnea.
Who is it you don’t believe? The OP, Opal or me.  I don’t quite follow your reply.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
The OP asked about the progression of apnea. As I said I don’t believe it “progresses”.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh I follow you now. So you mean one day you just get OSA. Based on lifestyle, and genetics.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
This reminds me of how I got diagnosed with OSA in 2020. My family mentioned that I snored loudly off and on starting a few years prior. I thought I would get surgery some day to fix the snoring, it didn't even occur to me I had sleep apnea. I mentioned the snoring to a doctor at a routine check-up, she referred me to a sleep clinic to get a sleep study. (Women snore too...) The sleep medicine doctor said my OSA was due to "tissues getting looser" due to aging.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I have had apnea for over 30 years yet with the much better machines (technology) my symptoms are less today than 30 years ago. 

A progression is like my brother in law.  He was diagnosed with kidney disease stage 3 many years ago. A couple years ago he had sage 4. Last month total kidney failure. That is a progression.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea progression jdbeck 3 639 03-09-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  [Treatment] What should be typical during a review/check-up from your doctor? KGsleep 6 770 02-21-2023, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Newly diagnosed - Was this ASV titration typical? eflatminor 1 479 10-25-2022, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,396 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.