Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Worried partner asking for help
RE: Worried partner asking for help
Everything will be fine. Tell him to sleep in a recliner most of the way upright, although leaning back slightly won't hurt much. Or he can sleep on his side or even stomach.

The reason the positional "treatment" may work is because it beats gravity. When we sleep on our back, all that material (tongue, muscles, tissues, fat, etc) collapses because the weight of itself is more than the material itself can handle. So by sitting up or being on the side/stomach, we help take the weight of that material mostly away. Some snoring and even collapsing of airway may still happen, but it should happen less.

In the meantime, tell him to take control of his own condition. Research. YouTube. Search here. Learn all he can about it so that he can face it without fear. Respect, but not fear. Learn even more so he can understand what machine he may need so he can get the best. If he has mixed apnea (you said he was diagnosed with both obstructive and central?), then it is even more important he get a data capable machine.

This is his condition. His life. His fears. Face it, beat it. And we are here to help do that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just following on from what was said above, sleep apnea is a chronic condition - not acute.

I notice you're in Ireland, so you should (if you haven't already) investigate what your entitlements are under the HSE as well as any private health cover you may have. If you're on the Drug Payment Scheme your monthly outlay for drugs, medicines and hire of a CPAP is limited to 144 Euro. This may or may not be a suitable option, depending on your circumstances. http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/sc...entscheme/

I agree with the previous posts about trying CPAP before considering any surgery. There is a very good discussion of surgical treatments at the Irish Sleep Apnoea Trust website: http://www.isat.ie/faq/faqs.html#What_tr..._available? I noted one particular quote - surgery works for about 50% of people, 50% of the time. That's not good odds in my view.

As your partner has mixed apnea, it is quite likely he will need an adaptive servo ventilator (ASV) machine. These are expensive - several times the cost of ordinary CPAP, but are the only way to treat stubborn cases involving central apnea. Before you sign up for any particular machine or treatment regime, ensure you have an upgrade path to ASV if it proves necessary.

A lot of sleep doctors don't seem to know or understand much about central apnea and treat everything as if it's obstructive. They are different conditions, though they often occur together. Make sure your doc understands the distinction and the treatment options. (Surgery will not treat central apnea). Also, if your partner has congestive heart failure, this needs to be considered if going onto ASV treatment. For a small percentage of patients with severe heart failure ASV is contraindicated.

Finally, get your partner to read and act on Paula's wise words above. He can't be a passive spectator in this treatment: he needs to take ownership and become his own best advocate.
Post Reply Post Reply
He has not yet been setup with a machine? I wouldn't be afraid to sleep as the only thing that has changed is that he is now aware of his problem. He shouldn't let that scare him so much. If it was that critical then the doctor that diagnosed him would have put him on a machine right then. Sometimes sleeping on ones side will help keep his airway open better. He shouldn't sleep on his back and if that is the only way then prop him up with pillows to keep him more upright. Once on a machine he will be good. I wish you luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two thoughts. Buy a soft cervical collar, it will probably be needed anyway. This collar lifts the chin and keeps the airway open.

The other thought is that fatigue will put him to sleep eventually anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2017, 04:09 AM)holden4th Wrote: Two thoughts. Buy a soft cervical collar, it will probably be needed anyway. This collar lifts the chin and keeps the airway open.

The other thought is that fatigue will put him to sleep eventually anyway.

it is way better to take sleep when he can, rather than being forced to sleep while driving his buddies to work.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all. Just a quick update. Himself had his sleep test with BOC last Wednesday night. Dropped equipmemt back Thursday morning. Was told we would get results in about 2 weeks or so. 4 days later (today) he got a call from the consultant that she is extremely worried as it's the worse she has ever seen. He has 78 apnea per hour, over 700 a night. Stops breathing on average more than 30 seconds at a time, out of an average 8 hors sleep, he is severely oxygen deprived for 4 hours as he stops breathing for half of his sleep.

Has anyone had something similar to this? We are going to get his mask fitted Thursday, so only 2 sleeps till progress ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a machine is in his near future. Let's hope he is issued an Auto CPAP that is data capable so we can see what is going on and optimize the treatment. I don't know what machines you are offered in Ireland, but a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset would be an outstanding choice if you have one.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
I shall keep that in mind thursay. I'm so excited for him to get his machiene, it may sound weird but I'm just thrilled he is going to be ok and be able to be happy and enjoy life and get out and see the world rather than being too tired to get dressed or even go to the shop.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ACAP (Autoset) is the best machine but most importantly a fully data capable machine.  Push for the Autoset.

untreated AHI years ago 90, last year a retest showed 70.
My treated AHI is consistently under 1.

Current acceptable in Production Machines (ResMed and Philips Respironics, the 2 most popular manufactures)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37205) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP)

• ResMed AirCurve 10, all models

• Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Pro (DSX600x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP, Fixed BiPAP)
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum yazwayne, so glad you can get helpful info for your partner to help him through this. Hopefully very soon he'll be treated and will be on the road to being healthier! Best of luck and keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,117 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is this Cheyne-Stokes? Should I be worried? spaceodyssey 8 648 10-26-2023, 07:46 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Worried about CA events rizzmed 3 675 06-28-2023, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rizzmed
  Worried about RERAs sheldor 7 777 03-08-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: sheldor
  Cheyne Stokes scare....should I be worried Snowy2020 3 741 01-09-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Partner is struggling with CPAP Couchpartner12 9 1,005 11-18-2022, 12:38 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
Sad Yesterday got CSR (Cheyne Strokes)on my report. Should I be worried? TonytheTiger 2 633 09-09-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.