Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] long time snorer first time poster
long time snorer first time poster
I just wanted to say it's great to find a online community like this and see that there are others in the same boat as me. Here is my story and a grip at my insurance who I feel just did not want to help.

6 months ago I had never heard of sleep apnea.

My wife has said that ever since she knew me I snored and would stop breathing in my sleep.About 6 months ago , I started getting tired a lot more I put this down to getting old and becoming a parent, I would fall asleep in the car , in a chair or even at my desk. I would wake up with headakes and sometimes sleep for 8 hours get up a then fall asleep again for 3.

At last I went to a doctor (2 month waiting time for new patients) and she told me about sleep apnea. I was then sent to a sleep center my insurance turn me down for in-house testing so I got the kit to do at home. The results came back with a Apnea Hypopnea Index of 61 and the sleep center recommend I come in for a in-house testing.

But insurance turned me down yet again lucky for me my Doctor battled the insurance and a month later I was able be tested again. I am now waiting for my results and to see what my pressure settings are.

What has annoyed me most is my insurance of delaying everything I am young and healthy a non smoker or drinker. They called me today with some more annoying news saying that I had cleared my premium and they where happy to pay for a cpap machine but only if I purchased it this year.

So I am happy that I might of found what's wrong with me but I feel my insurance has really let me down.

So insurance might have let me down but finding this forum has helped me a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: long time snorer first time poster
Does your insurance company pay for cpap outright? most of them require a proof of use period before they will pay.... Welcome to the place where information grows on trees Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Simon,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Here is a link that will take you to tuns of information on CPAP equipment, what to buy and what to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you start your journey in to the world of hoseheads.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Simon, contact your state insurance commissioner about your insurance complaints. Make sure you have all your information to receive the best possible assistance. If by chance your in Kansas use this link: http://www.ksinsurance.org/consumers/complaint.htm
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, and soon to becoming a hosehead. Please know that you will become more 'irked' with your DME than you ever were with your insurance, and that finding a mask that both works well, is comfortable, and does not leak badly may take you 1 to 100 different tries. Besides those two points, it's easy-peasy, and before you know it you'll be calling it your 'dream machine'.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your support, I am meeting with a DME covered by my insurance tomorrow to have a chat and see what might be covered. I have been reading about the ResMed AirSense 10 (A10) AutoSet and will try and push for this. If insurance is not going to cover it I might try and look else where for it.

The mask I am not sure on the noise version did not work very well for me. I hope the DME can give me some good advice that I can then research here to make sure it's true.

Mike i am in the Midwest but not Kansas but thank you for the link.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2014, 01:24 AM)Simon Wrote: Thank you all for your support, I am meeting with a DME covered by my insurance tomorrow to have a chat and see what might be covered. I have been reading about the ResMed AirSense 10 (A10) AutoSet and will try and push for this. If insurance is not going to cover it I might try and look else where for it.

The mask I am not sure on the noise version did not work very well for me. I hope the DME can give me some good advice that I can then research here to make sure it's true.

Mike i am in the Midwest but not Kansas but thank you for the link.

I would still suggest that you contact your own STATE Insurance Commissioner for assistance with your insurance and DME.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2014, 01:58 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: I would still suggest that you contact your own STATE Insurance Commissioner for assistance with your insurance and DME.

Thanks Mike I will ,

I met with the DME and not sure if they will get the prescription in time as my yearly deductible of 5k is met but will only be covered if I purchase this year.

They only carry one machine DS560HS remstar auto system one 60 series
And recommend a airfit full face by resmed or a simplus full face.

Any feedback on the above going to start researching now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Simon,

Welcome!

My hubby got the PR System One with the heated humidifier in July of this year (2014) and he really likes it.

He used a nose mask, even with a full beard, on his old "brick" (CPAP with only one pressure setting and NO data card - but hey, he got it in 2003!) and did OK with it. But he has found that because of his deviated septum the nasal pillows do a MUCH better job for him. He now uses the ResMed Swift FX nasal pillow system.

Best regards,

Evpraxia
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought? If going with the System One, push for the "heated hose" option, as it does more than just the humidifier, and with the System One, you need the new hose, new lid, and a different power brick around $75 bucks to buy the upgrade yourself - there is a thread on the topic if you want to read up on it.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 618 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,179 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 172 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 807 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.