Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

barbc (Therapy Thread)
barbc (Therapy Thread)
I am new to the Forum and need help for a starting point to getting my AHI somewhere near my originally diagnosed AHI of 8. I usually run in the high teens and have received no noticeable benefits from my CPAP such as less fatigue or breathing improvements. I have provided my first attempt to put together charts for analysis.

Can my charts be reviewed and some starting point for getting control of my CPAP be provided?
Thanx for any help.
Barbc

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie to oscar with AHI much above sleep study
Welcome to Apnea Board,

Given that there are a high Obstructive apnea count, snoring as well, and that you're on a slower responding DreamStation, you can do a few things to make it better. Probably part 1 of the edit is to go to Auto mode of your auto CPAP. This will turn your single static pressure to a min. and max. 2 pressure bookends that the PAP can move more dynamically. Maybe try the pressure of 9 you have now, but add in the max. box a pressure of 20. As is, the therapy is in want of higher pressures.

Part 2 is to review our wiki on positional apnea and using a soft collar. It appears that some of your frequent apnea are recurring due to chin tucking. I have a link to this wiki in my signature. Be sure to look for other posts from other members to see what they've got to help.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your main problem is positional apnea. You need to fix it before you can do much to help the settings. 

Positional apnea is when you cut off your own airway. Sometimes it is when you sleep on your back or have to high pillows. 
Anything that causes  your chin to drop to your Sternum. It’s called chin tucking. 

If you can’t stop chin tucking by just changing position or changing pillows you will need a collar. See my link to collars at the bottom of the post. 

In that link you can see examples of a person without and the same person with a collar. You can see how much of a difference between the two. 

When you get the positional apnea fixed we can look at your Oscar.charts and get you in a good place.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Thank you for your prompt and helpful response. I will use the guidelines you provided to obtain a cervical collar. I do have physical limitations that limit my ability to change sleeping positions but perhaps the collar will help to overcome some of those limitations.
Will be posting results soon.
Barbc Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be as simple as using a flatter pillow or using 1 instead of 2.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
     I am posting my latest Oscar chart as a result of following the recommendations of forum members. I was unsuccessful with the suggested cervical device but my husband says he has never noticed chin dip so perhaps that is OK. I tried a wedge pillow but it was not consistently stable. I finally settled on a CPAPology sleep noodle back positional foam device. It worked well and is relatively comfortable and stable. I researched APAP for my device but with congestive heart failure the coin seemed to fall on a consistent pressure on the lower side rather than variable pressures. I also have oxygen in the mix which I have to take into consideration.
I have started experiencing substantially lower AHI data since changing to side sleeping. Could someone review my data and let me know if they are seeing  beneficial improvements or if further tweaking is believed to be needed? Thank you for any assistance.
Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
If straight Cpap is helping great but you need to raise the pressure. I would go up 1 to 10 and see how you do - it should improve your numbers BUT comfort is just as important   

Try it and post tomorrow. And your positional apnea looks better.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at your chart I would bump your pressure up by 1. I think that would help.

The question is which feels better, the current 9 or the proposed 10?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! Will post in the next day or two with the change to 10.
Barb
Post Reply Post Reply
Good Morning: I am posting last nights cpap results with my pressure set at 10. I had a very restless night and my AHI was somewhat higher. What is your take on the results?
Barb

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,061 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 156 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 253 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,343 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.