Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] non complient - try again
non complient - try again
Hello Everyone, Newbie to this site/forum,Looking for HELP, or guidance.
Following are my sleep study results:
Sleep study from 4/7/2012
55 YR old – male; 6’1’- 240#, Epworth 12/24; Sleep time - 246 min.
Sleep latency - normal at 29 min.; Sleep efficiency: reduced at 67%
186 arousals – 45.3 per hour; 7 awakenings – 1.7 per hour
Stage II – 51.9%; stage III – 16.4%; stage I – 11%; REM – 20.7%

13 central apneas mean duration 26 sec.; 17 hypopneas mean duration 30 sec.
AHI index of 7.3; arousal index 8.5 per hour
O2 varied between 89% and 96%, 99% of time above 90% saturation
296 periodic leg movements
Blue cross
Impression: mild sleep apnea with obstructive and central events and associated with severe sleep fragmentation.

In Jan.2013 I was set up with a Respironics 450P Remstar Pro, w/c-flex+, I was having AHI's ranging from 8-12, Pressure at (9), then set to auto for I believe a 14 Day trial. About half way through the auto trial I had severe bloating from, I assume, swallowing air. Severe to the point of waking up with pain. Did not hear back from my DME Rep. or my Doctor. Stopped CPAP. DME finally called and said he thought I should have another sleep study,as I may need a BIPAP or possibly an ASV. I was not feeling well and unhappy with the whole mess. Was not sure who was calling the shots, DME or Doctor. Returned machine, I was paying for rental.Blue Cross w/$400 deductible. I ended up having my gull bladder removed May 2013. Still tired, chest feels tight, feel like I need to take deep breaths sometimes. Pulmonary test over the last two yrs, all good. Went to a new Doc. He does not think my problem is sleep apnea,in spite of my last sleep study. Although new Doc will give me script for a two(2) week trial on a ResMed S9 auto at my expense. Might this be helpful? I asked specifically for Resmed, as it would be my intention to monitor my results w/ResScan. What direction should I go, as I am confussed. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: non complient - try again
The first thing that struck me on your post was the periodic limb movements. I wondered if that was causing your sleep fragmentation or at least contributing to it alot. I had limb movements to that extent in my sleep study and I saw my doc about it. Doc ran many blood tests to see if I was low in ferritin/iron, magnesium, etc and then prescribed a low dose of generic mirapex. my restless leg problem has gotten under control and i sleep much better now (of course the CPAP makes the major difference). I even slept through the night recently for the first time in many many years!

So if I were you, I guess I would get the restless leg syndrome or PLMD or whatever you have addressed. You may want to see a sleep doc who is also a neurologist for that reason.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi G.Stocker,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2013, 03:01 PM)G.Stocker Wrote: Still tired, chest feels tight, feel like I need to take deep breaths sometimes. ... Doc will give me script for a two(2) week trial on a ResMed S9 auto at my expense. Might this be helpful?

Hi G.Stocker, welcome to the forum!

I suggest finding out exactly what it all would cost for the 14 day trial and any associated charges.

A trial at your expense may cost nearly as much as simply buying a used machine. "Gently Used ResMed S9 AutoSet with Heated Humidifier, and ClimateLine Tubing" sells for $569 from Supplier #2. (A link to the Supplier List is at top of all forum pages.). You would also need a mask.

But I would recommend not buying anything without first posting what you are thinking of buying and allowing a couple days for comments from forum members. Don't buy something "on sale today only", because you would likely regret the purchase after you learn more about what you have bought and what else is available.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2013, 03:01 PM)G.Stocker Wrote: DME finally called and said he thought I should have another sleep study,as I may need a BIPAP or possibly an ASV.

A BiPAP would be called for to relieve the air-swallowing issue. ASV would be for treatment of the central apneas.

Either way another sleep study would not be needed. Just follow-up visits with a decent doctor.

Quote: He does not think my problem is sleep apnea, in spite of my last sleep study.

What course of action did he recommend? I wouldn't let a doctor prescribe a CPAP machine for me if he didn't believe I needed it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.