Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] paulauf - Therapy Thread
paulauf - Therapy Thread
I'm new to APAP, VA lab sleep study has 38 AHI. I'm running 4 to 14 AHI on the setting I inputted. I have to wait two-months for sleep clinic to tell me how to run the thing in a phone call, so I'm experimenting. I've noticed some nights I have CSR indications and others look the same but aren't indicated CSR. In searching the forum for CSR and PB, I'm even more confused. I'm heart healthy and normal BMI. I'm a back sleeper because of hip pain, level bed, and one soft pillow. Questions:

1. What is the difference between the two patterns? 
2. Is this pattern something to be concerned with?
3. Is high and low TV of concern? 
4. Can my settings be tweaked to help it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP 1 week seeing CSR and PB? why
I see both as very similar and I would call neither CSR. ResMed calls all Periodi Breathing it sees CSR. CSR typically has a CA event at the nadir or low point between breaths.
What I saw immediately on both is a form of positional apnea. I believe that you are tucking your chin. Both examples show obstructive restricted breathing with the tell being a large recovery breath concluding many of the clusters.

The fix will most likely be a Soft cervical collar to keep you from tucking your chin. Please read the wiki article linked in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent info. I made a SSC out of a piece of 1" upholstery foam and one of my wife's large bandanas. I'll keep all the machine settings the same and let you know how I did tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used my DIY SSC and ditched the pillow and seemed to get a better night's sleep. Bonus, my throat wasn't dry and scratchy either. I'm still seeing the periodic breathing, the majority of which are OA. I don't have my sleep study, but OA was the finding with AIH 38.  Next step?

Post Reply Post Reply
*SCC notSSC
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you make a taller scc? You still have the positional apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made it to the neck-chin measurement. I'll look for a real one on the way home. Normally around noon I'm fighting to stay awake and sometimes have to cat nap in my car a few minutes. On the drive home, I've nodded off at red lights. However, right now I feel great. It's amazing what a piece of foam can do. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I picked up a Futuro SCC at a CVS. Not very comfortable and doesn't support the jawline, only the chin. It did, however, knock down the OAs to almost none. There was only one instance of OA PB (attached). Most of the remaining events were CAs.

Post Reply Post Reply
The night before last, the OAs were almost non-existent and the remaining events were CAs. Last night the OA pattern reappeared. Is this still PA? I'm considering ordering a different SCC in place of the Futuro SCC I'm using now (without a pillow). From the reviews, I can't decide which is better, the Coreflex or the Caldera Releaf. Any preference from the board?

Post Reply Post Reply
Lat night was the best so far. The only change I made was flipping the Futuro SCC over, so the chin notch was down not under my chin. I definitely need a better SCC. Still looking for advice on Coreflex or the Caldera Releaf preference. Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 49 2 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 61 978 3 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,319 4 hours ago
Last Post: Little Olive
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,433 10 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,075 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 588 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 487 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.