Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] paulauf - Therapy Thread
RE: APAP 1 week seeing CSR and PB? why
Last night, I added the pillow back with no ill effects. The worst portion of the night is attached. Any suggestions on pressure changes?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Looking for advice on flow after 1 month use
I've been using the APAP for just over a month and have gone from 38 AHI at the sleep study to 14 with CSR indications on the machine. Added a SCC and the CSRs disappeared. With a better SCC, the OAs disappeared leaving mostly CAs. I turned off the EPR and the CAs have turned into Hs and AHIs are in the 2s and 3s. I, however, see strange flow indications that don't register as an event. What are these? I'm normal BMI, don't snore, and have a good mask fit, yet I'm still exhausted during the day. What changes can I try? I have my first phone consult with the sleep clinic in three weeks and want to have a good repeatable baseline by the time we talk.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for advice on flow after 1 month use
Flow Limitation is a partial closure of the upper airway and can be detrimental to getting a good sleep.

I didn't see a chart showing the effect of using EPR, but this is what is normally advised to lessen Flow Limitation and Hypopnea.

Sometimes, using EPR can increase the CA's, so it's a balancing act.

We like to see the 95% Flow Limitation at less than .10. This is usually achieved by using EPR. Try EPR 2 for a few nights and see if that helps. I wouldn't worry about the CA's right now. They should lessen in time as you get used to therapy.

One more thing... I'm seeing your Median pressure at around 10cm. Your minimum pressure should be closer to that number. Maybe minimum at 8. But try one change at a time.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the feedback. Last night I was expecting just Hs, but I got a mix of CAs and Hs. Tonight I'll try EPR of 1. What's going on the the patterns that aren't being flagged as events? Is it my dreams? Am I moving?

Post Reply Post Reply
Apneas are only flagged when there is a reduction in airflow for more than 10 sec.

Apnea: 80% to 100% reduction in airflow for >= 10 seconds
Hypopnea: 50% to 80% reduction in airflow for >= 10 seconds
Flow Limitation: <50% reduction in airflow for >= 10 seconds

Hypopnea

Besides assisting in breathing out against the airflow, EPR is basically recommended to lower FL and Hypopnea.  But EPR may also cause CA's to increase.  
You're looking at a balancing act.

Try the different levels of EPR to see which has the most beneficial effect.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Rate_graph
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I changed to EPR 1 and raised the min pressure to 8. The AHI is 1.97. I have another thread of when I just started that includes befor and after screeshots using the SCC: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...and-PB-why if that would be helpful. I'll try EPR 2 and min pressure 9 tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
We prefer to keep a member's therapy posts in one thread for continuity.  I will be merging your 2 threads and will rename it to, paulauf - Therapy Thread.  That way, the title is more inclusive.  This will provide the reader your history.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: paulauf - Therapy Thread
Thank you, I'm new all this, and I very much appreciate the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't change the min press. but the EPR of 2 seemed to help. I'll bump up the min press. to 9 tonight. Attached is one of the "dramatic" sessions. I wish I knew what was going on at these times.

Post Reply Post Reply
Now that I look at it, neither EPR nor the min press were changed. I'll make the changes again tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 954 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,198 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.