Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro Air
Humidifier: Resmad
CPAP Pressure: IPAP-12, EPAP-8, PS2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Diagnostic help
This is some data from the third night of a 5-day trial I posted about earlier.
I'm curious if anyone has an explanation on what was going on in my sleep between a little before 2::00 pm and 2:30 pm. My Sp02 went down to about 78% for almost 30 minutes. It looks to me like I was taking very shallow breaths, so shallow that the machine thought my RR went to zero--which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case. This is my first attempt to post a screen shot so i hope it works.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-07-2015 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

RE: Diagnostic help
My guess is you had a hose obstruction. Either lying on it or had it kinked. . . . Just my W. A. G.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
04-07-2015 10:33 AM
AshSF Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 D560TS
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10, Bkup: Airfit F10 & Quattro Air
Humidifier: PRS1 60 series with Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 8 - 8 w/ Aflex 3

Other Comments: Using APAP mode with fixed pressure

Starting about 150am, your flow rate started dropping. That means your airway was losing it slowly I.e. It was collapsing slowly. Most likely, you went to supine position. The machine saw the flow limitations and raised pressure to the max (13cm). But 13 wasn't enough to keep your airway open, so you had a string of obstructive Apneas. In each of these apnea events, most likely your airway collapsed slowly, then you had an apnea your body woke up a little bit and airway opened. Then it slowly collapsed again. This cycle repeated itself multiple times. It probably corrected itself when you turned and started sleeping on the side.

I would suggest you open up the top end of your machine a little bit at a time. You can open it to 14 and see the effect for a week. If you still see these clusters then open it to 15 and so on.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

Started APAP 4-20, Closed range to 7.5-14, then straight 8.0 w/ Aflex 3
RDI always below 1. But sleep much much better at straight pressure.
Started on F10, Tried Quattro Air successfully. Finally settled on P10.
04-07-2015 11:06 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(04-07-2015 11:06 AM)AshSF Wrote:  I would suggest you open up the top end of your machine a little bit at a time. You can open it to 14 and see the effect for a week. If you still see these clusters then open it to 15 and so on.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

^^^ This.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-07-2015 11:28 AM
swwalden1 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro Air
Humidifier: Resmad
CPAP Pressure: IPAP-12, EPAP-8, PS2

Other Comments:

(04-07-2015 11:06 AM)AshSF Wrote:  Starting about 150am, your flow rate started dropping. That means your airway was losing it slowly I.e. It was collapsing slowly. Most likely, you went to supine position. The machine saw the flow limitations and raised pressure to the max (13cm). But 13 wasn't enough to keep your airway open, so you had a string of obstructive Apneas. In each of these apnea events, most likely your airway collapsed slowly, then you had an apnea your body woke up a little bit and airway opened. Then it slowly collapsed again. This cycle repeated itself multiple times. It probably corrected itself when you turned and started sleeping on the side.

I would suggest you open up the top end of your machine a little bit at a time. You can open it to 14 and see the effect for a week. If you still see these clusters then open it to 15 and so on.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

i hate to draw a conclusion based on one night's data, but I think your are on to something. I asked DW to sew a tennis ball into the back of my sleepware and my AHI went down to 1.25 last night after averaging in the high 20s for the last 6-months. Could the answer be as simple as just don't sleep on your back
04-08-2015 07:49 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(04-08-2015 07:49 AM)swwalden1 Wrote:  ... Could the answer be as simple as just don't sleep on your back

Yes, for many people. I have a fraction as my night's AHI if on my side; and run 3 to 5 on my back.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-08-2015 08:55 AM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(04-08-2015 07:49 AM)swwalden1 Wrote:  i hate to draw a conclusion based on one night's data, but I think your are on to something. I asked DW to sew a tennis ball into the back of my sleepware and my AHI went down to 1.25 last night after averaging in the high 20s for the last 6-months. Could the answer be as simple as just don't sleep on your back

Yes, not sleeping on your back may be very beneficial for you. But even on your side you are peaking out at 13 too much. I agree with Ash that you should raise your top end a little. 14 to begin with then see how it goes. I would also raise the bottom from 4 to about 8 or 9. Just because I think a tighter range is better.

So avoid sleeping on your back until you get properly tweaked up, but don't necessarily give up on it forever. I thoroughly enjoy being able to sleep on my back for the first time in many years.

Raising the head of your bed will help as well.
04-08-2015 07:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [News] Sleep Apnea Diagnostic & Therapeutic Devices Dreamcatcher 0 1,297 07-31-2012 06:26 PM
Last Post: Dreamcatcher