Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.6 - 18 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
Howdy folks, I've had friends recommend food-grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) as a daily supplement to help with everything from controlling parasites, to helping to lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, help with joints and Osteoporosis, weight loss, help with teath and gums, etc, etc..

I'm interesting in hearing your thoughts on the use (and safety) of using this stuff. Friends have recommended starting off with dissolving a teaspoon in juice each day, working up to around a tablespoon per day after a week or two.

If you've used it, what were your results? Do you believe it has any benefits at all or is all of it "junk science"?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-06-2013 07:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
Hi SuperSleeper,
I've heard about that too but I have never tried it, I'm not sure I buy it. I've heard if you do take it, you have to make sure it's good quality but I don't know enough about it to say where to get the "good" stuff, (so to speak,) (Ha-Ha.)

trish6hundred
05-06-2013 07:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sex: Undisclosed

Ah, no thanks.
You know that it is abrasive don't you?

I get enough of that every day in other things. Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
05-06-2013 09:21 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Nuance
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

It is super abrasive. It is used as a flea control. The little snots crawl over it, cut themselves up.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-06-2013 02:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
CPAP Pressure: 9/14 - EPR: Off
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(05-06-2013 07:13 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Do you believe it has any benefits at all or is all of it "junk science"?
No science to back-up the claims

Mortality among workers in the diatomaceous earth industry
A cohort mortality study was conducted among workers from two plants in the diatomaceous earth mining and processing industry in California. Diatomaceous earth consists of the skeletal remains of diatoms. Exposure to amorphous (non-crystalline) and crystalline silica in the form of quartz results from open pit mining and exposure to crystalline silica (principally cristobalite) occurs in the processing of the material.
Lung cancer and non-malignant respiratory diseases have been the health outcomes of greatest concern
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1035494/
05-06-2013 03:29 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.6 - 18 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Pretty sure the health issues in the DE mines and/or plants were caused by workers inhaling the dust. I know it's dangerous to inhale DE dust - it is a severe irritant to the lungs. I don't plan on inhaling the dust, but dissolving it in water or juice.

I do realize it's a micro-abrasive. That's why it works to control parasites and stuff like that. It's used for animal parasite control quite freely and it's a long established product for that purpose and considered quite safe for animals. It's sold in many farm-type stores for that purpose and often mixed with feed or sprinkled on livestock or poultry to control fleas, mites, etc.

I do know there are two versions of DE - one is for pest control in gardens or as an anti-bedbug option. The other is "food grade" DE - and that's the version folks are using as a supplement.

From what I understand, it is used in human food as well. One example I heard of is Bisquick pancake mix - they mix in something like 1% DE to the mix to control the little critters that often infest flour mixes. It's also an anti-caking agent. From what I've read, sometimes when you see "anti-caking agent" in the ingredients of a package or mix that contains flour, it's DE. DE looks like flour, in fact - that's how fine it is.

My question was to ask if folks here have ever tried it as a supplement themselves. I'd be interested in hearing first-hand accounts.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-07-2013 09:27 AM
grumpycat Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: resmed S9autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: wisp
CPAP Pressure: 5-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

You can try googling this and look for discussion sites. I have not tried it. But, from what I see, this has no "proven" ability to do anything for humans except possibly lower blood pressure so be careful if you already has low blood pressure.
05-07-2013 12:19 PM
Sleepster Online
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Opus 360
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.8 | PS 4.2
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

The problem with applying science to food is that when you do that you reduce the food to the sum of its ingredients. Food may be more than that, maybe not. Until somebody figures it out I'll continue to use the grandmother rule. Whenever I shop I don't buy anything that my grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. Well, most of the time, anyway. Wink

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-07-2013 06:05 PM
archangle Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

(05-07-2013 09:27 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  One example I heard of is Bisquick pancake mix - they mix in something like 1% DE to the mix to control the little critters that often infest flour mixes.

That's one of the reasons why snorting pancake mix is such a national tragedy.

I suspect you're right about the concerns about inhaling dust being the big risk. Be sure to mix with a liquid before ingesting.

Do you have any idea how it's supposed to be good for your health? At first blush, it looks like naturalistic mumbo jumbo.

It will kill many kinds of bugs, but I think only when it's dry.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
06-08-2013 05:01 PM
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

I think it is right up there with Radium Water and Colloidal Mineral Water.

It's a quack remedy.

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
06-09-2013 12:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NASA's Earth Day Global Selfie SuperSleeper 0 252 05-23-2014 01:36 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper