Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Did I buy the wrong CPAP machine?
Did I buy the wrong CPAP machine?
I’m new to sleep apnea, and fearful that I just made a huge misstep. I bought a used Resmed Autoset 10 off Craigslist and now that I look again at my at home sleep study it looks like I actually have central sleep apnea. My sleep doc didn’t explain that part of it tome and just wrote a script for a regular CPAP. I feel like I just blew a ton of money. Ugh. I’ve attached my at home sleep study, I would be super appreciative if anyone would look at it and offer input. What should I do? Try and resell my CPAP without using it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Did I buy the wrong CPAP machine?
Welcome to the forum.

Based on what I'm seeing you do indeed have Central Sleep Apnea. In all likelihood it is ideopathic.

Some questions.
Do you have any other respiratory illnesses?, Brain injuries, strokes, seizures, neuromuscular issues, other CNS issues, heart issues, use CNS meds or pain killers, especially opiods. any of these can cause central apnea.

if you have the AutoSet it would help if we could see a couple 10 minute views of your centrals plus the full night view. .these being from OSCAR, see the organize link in my signature. These may tell us the character of your centrals.

As you have summarized an AutoSet is not the correct machine to treat Centrals.
The proper machine does depend on if you have any of the above conditions and the severity of them. For uncompilcated centrals with or without OSA an ASV is likely the best choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your sleep study attachment was cut-off without the section on diagnosis and recommendations. It is typical that a person will be started on CPAP regardless of the presence of central apnea in the diagnostic study. A low percentage of central and complex apnea patients will respond positively to CPAP, and it is a much less expensive device. Once you have some data using your Airsense 10 Autoset, we can take a look and help optimize or point you towards a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. It won't take long to figure out if the CPAP improves or worsens your CAS.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2022, 08:19 AM)Gideon Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

Based on what I'm seeing you do indeed have Central Sleep Apnea. In all likelihood it is ideopathic.

Some questions.
Do you have any other respiratory illnesses?, Brain injuries, strokes, seizures, neuromuscular issues, other CNS issues, heart issues, use CNS meds or pain killers, especially opiods. any of these can cause central apnea.

if you have the AutoSet it would help if we could see a couple 10 minute views of your centrals plus the full night view. .these being from, see the organize link in my signature. These may tell us the character of your centrals.

As you have summarized an AutoSet is not the correct machine to treat Centrals.
The proper machine does depend on if you have any of the above conditions and the severity of them. For uncompilcated centrals with or without OSA an ASV is likely the best choice.

Thank you for the welcome and feedback! I have asthma and anxiety. I catch myself not breathing at times, even when awake, I wonder if that is somehow related. I’m not sure why it happens. I’m still waiting on my mask, but will post OSCAR results when I have my full setup. Thank you again!

(02-06-2022, 09:30 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your sleep study attachment was cut-off without the section on diagnosis and recommendations. It is typical that a person will be started on CPAP regardless of the presence of central apnea in the diagnostic study. A low percentage of central and complex apnea patients will respond positively to CPAP, and it is a much less expensive device. Once you have some data using your Airsense 10 Autoset, we can take a look and help optimize or point you towards a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. It won't take long to figure out if the CPAP improves or worsens your CAS.

Thank you so much for the input! The bottom of my sleep study was blank, he didn’t write any comments/recommendations . We talked and he wrote a script for a 4 to 12 CPAP pressure. No mention of ASV and no discussion of central versus obstructive apnea. He mentioned having a dental device made, which seems questionable given that most of my apneas were central.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well you seem to have gotten a CPAP machine and the logical thing to do is the same as you would do if this was an insured coverage...use the CPAP and see how it goes. If you need a more advanced machine, we can help you find what is needed, and the one you bought will still be worth what you paid. It's important that you document use of the CPAP regardless of the outcome. You should consider sharing your sleep study and any results we find as you start CPAP with your doctor. This can become part of your medical record demonstrating the diagnosis of a sleep breathing disorder. Therapy with CPAP will succeed or fail, but needs to be the first step. Speaking of steps, lets take this journey one step at a time.

First step, start using the CPAP using the settings recommended by the consulting physisician:
Mode: Autoset Standard
Minimum Pressure: 4.0
Maximum Pressure: 12.0
Optional: EPR on Full-Time setting 1.
Ramp Off
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,402 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 125 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 228 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 154 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 190 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 405 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 855 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.