Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Did I just get played?
Did I just get played?
Just sharing...

Is this typical?

Prior to a routine telephone consultation with my sleep doctor, mainly for Medicare compliance, I sent him the latest ResScan (version 6.1) report with 30-days worth of data including pulse-oximetry. It didn't seem to mean much as he said that my previous sleep test was 5 years ago and that he did not trust the data produced by the ResMed device. He has scheduled me for a titration study to determine the proper pressure range. 

Considering that my numbers seem acceptable, I wonder if I should bypass the test since hospitals have a horrible record of making people sick in the era of COVID/ 

Pressure - cmH2O - Median: 12.2  95th Percentile: 13.2 Maximum: 13.8) EPR =3  // machine range 12.0 - 17.0  EPR 3  RESPOSE: STANDARD
Apnea Index: 0.1 
Hypopnea Index: 0.3 
AHI: 0.4
Obstructive: 0.1 
Central: 0.0 
Unknown: 0.0
RERA Index: 0.0 % 
Time in CSR: 0.0

Comments?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Did I just get played?
I'm with you on the assumption that you know there are no significant health related changes in your recent past. 

I'm going on 6 years since last test, and, it's remotely possible I'll ask for one hoping to qualify for a new VAuto rather than an Autoset.  

The DME began trying to push another Autoset down my throat at 5 years, last September. My pulmo, with his sleep center, has not brought the topic up other than when I asked for a VAuto Rx and he thought it unlikely I could qualify, not without a test calling for it. Tha route, combined, would make Autoset$+test$ (failiing) more $ than just extra $ over Autoset$ for a  VAuto without test. 

The logic running our country, and taxing all fixed assets and income with inflation as they go wild with printing unbacked money.  Thinking-about

Uh oh, I clicked to get smiley choice and made a wrong one that will show for all in Main Forum. Would delete it if I knew how.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Removed your smiley!   Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dr. is probably the same Dr. as yours………….clueless. My belief is, if your Dr. does not actually use cpap nightly, than your Dr. doesn’t really know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dr needs another payment for something he can’t afford. You have the right to decline a titration test because you feel fine and already know you are optimized better than a test can accomplish. It is harder to decline a diagnostic test which might be required to demonstrate medical need. This one is easy and chances are, you could teach the doc a thing or two.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Dr needs another payment for something he can’t afford ... "

Spot on. Frequently, in recent times, I have felt that my medical needs aren't determined by my health but the respective doctors' beach house mortgage payments being due.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, I don't feel like you guys at all. My doctors aren't ramming procedures and treatments down my throat in order to charge me, for sure. I'm with an HMO, Kaiser, where they want to cut out unnecessary tests and procedures to cut cost.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just say no. No boat payments. Let Dr. Dolittle practice titration on somebody else.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with hegel. Have been a Kaiser patient for 35+ years. Although they don't want to hear about your sniffles, they are on the ball when you have legit problems. That said, they make more money when they can eliminate unnecessary visits and tests. I have NEVER had an instance of asking for something they didn't do. But then again, I don't bother them with my sniffles.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why on earth would he want you to go in for a sleep study when you have months of average 0.1 AHI?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.