Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Did You Do Your Sleep Study at Home or in a Lab?
RE: Did You Do Your Sleep Study at Home or in a Lab?
In lab both times. First time was a split night in what felt like a walk in refrigerator with a nice comfortable bed. 3.5 years later titration only for ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
First study was in home like the others here. The second was a lab titration study. I failed to reach REM sleep and started to have nocturnal seizures. Long story short is that I was having tons of central apneas while in REM sleep that never became known during the lab study.

Treatment with CPAP didn't help me hardly at all. Now I'm waiting slowly for my insurance (almost done) to approve my doctors request for an ASV machine. My case means you should follow up if your not getting better because something could be missing in plain sight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lab, 2 nights, twice. First time in 2009 at a very comfy lab associated with a top notch hospital system.

2nd round, not so much -- el cheapo New England lab setup, with the scratchiest sheets and techs so eager to leave after 5 am that woke up to a cold room in deep winter. URIs both times after 2nd round of labs.

Medicare was charged $3k per night for this latest round. Was also accused of being uncooperative because I always read a couple of screens of escapist fiction on my Kindle to help me fall asleep. Titration night tech was not pleased.
Too bad there's no "Yelp" for sleep labs! Big Grin As a researcher, I shudder [or perhaps shiver] to think of the number of variables that were not controlled.

Didn't know there was a way to do this from home using APAP equipment. Would certainly have explored that option, especially as I had already been using CPAP for 5+ years.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the Full Sleep study in a lab with technician monitoring and it not only picked up CSA but also PLMD, my sister went the cheaper way and did an at home Sleep Study and now has to go for another Full Sleep study in a lab with technician monitoring because they think she has Narcolepsy as well and probably would have been picked up the first time. They do save money but are not as accurate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2015, 06:36 AM)GeoffD Wrote:
(05-22-2015, 05:47 AM)justMongo Wrote: Mine was in a sleep lab -- 6 years ago. There is a move toward home studies. Sometimes this means a person is wired up and sent home to sleep.

Sometimes a person is just given an auto PAP and the data checked after about a week. This is cost effective and works just fine for people with the most common form of apnea -- obstructive apnea.

I have vanilla obstructive sleep apnea and the machine works just about perfectly. Handing me a machine and sending me on my way would have been by far the cheapest, quickest, and easiest solution for me but that approach likely wouldn't work for people with other issues.

I am a person who has OTHER ISSUES. I am so grateful that my sleep study (split-night) was performed at a hospital sleep study facility.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lab study. Insurance I have won't pay for home study. I have my theories on that but this really isn't the forum for it. Smile
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I had both, about two weeks apart. The home study was used as a quick and easy test to filter out those that did not show any signs of apnea. I was lucky in that my insurance considered both as an "in office visit" so my co-pay was $30@.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lab, 3 times. First two times were for the initial study and the titration, which occurred about 3 months apart, as I had to have the polyps removed from my nasal passages. The third time was about 15 years after the initial study. Oh, and the polyps get reamed out about every 10 years.

La Zona, you should have done this as a survey/poll. Whistle
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 133 Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 80 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.