Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Did You Do Your Sleep Study at Home or in a Lab?
Did You Do Your Sleep Study at Home or in a Lab?
I've been reading various thread on this board and have noticed people are talking about having their sleep studies down at a sleep lab. Has anyone done their sleep study at home?

My health care provider is Kaiser Permanente, and I did my sleep study at home. They gave me a machine to use over a 5 night period. After that they looked at the data, and wrote me a prescription for a CPAP device two days later. Does anyone else have similar experiences or do most people get their sleep studiers in a lab?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Did You Do Your Sleep Study at Home or in a Lab?
We do things a bit differently in Australia. The first sleep test is diagnosis only, and I did mine in the lab. We don't do a one night titration test, but use the machine (APAP) with weekly reviews to home in on the right settings. It sounds like your health care provider jumped straight to the second stage and let the machine do its thing. I think I'd prefer a proper diagnosis in the lab (which can pick up any other breathing or sleep issues or even some unrelated heart issues) but I do like the idea of using the machine over a period of nights for titration.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine was in a sleep lab -- 6 years ago. There is a move toward home studies. Sometimes this means a person is wired up and sent home to sleep.

Sometimes a person is just given an auto PAP and the data checked after about a week. This is cost effective and works just fine for people with the most common form of apnea -- obstructive apnea.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2015, 05:47 AM)justMongo Wrote: Mine was in a sleep lab -- 6 years ago. There is a move toward home studies. Sometimes this means a person is wired up and sent home to sleep.

Sometimes a person is just given an auto PAP and the data checked after about a week. This is cost effective and works just fine for people with the most common form of apnea -- obstructive apnea.

I have vanilla obstructive sleep apnea and the machine works just about perfectly. Handing me a machine and sending me on my way would have been by far the cheapest, quickest, and easiest solution for me but that approach likely wouldn't work for people with other issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi La Zona,
I did my sleep studies in a lab. I had to go back for a second one because I didn't get to sleep in time to be fitted with a mask and a machine in the same night.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually had both. Did an at home study for one night. Confirmed that I needed to go into the lab for further study.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep lab. While the sleep center does do a lot of home tests, because I've had a brain injury and other issues that could have been causing the problem, they needed to do it in the lab. My understanding is that if you meet certain requirements, you can do a home test. If you might be borderline, or have confounding factors, they do it in the lab.

That said, it seems that some doctors always insist on the lab as the only option and I feel that is a moneymaking enterprise.
Post Reply Post Reply
At-home study with sensors and crap. Confirmed I had an AHI of ~45, which peaks over 50 when on my back.

Then I did a Titration study in-lab on a PAP machine that the tech controlled.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both my Initial sleep study and the titration study where performed in a lab. The sleep lab is operated by my Pulmonoligst's group. Their rates match the home study. Based off what the local hospitals charge, I can see why the insurance companies lean toward the home study. In my area it's about $2000 (hospital) versus $600 (home).
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance wound not pay for a home study, so I had it done in a lab.
It was supposed to be a split study, but I didn't sleep well, only about 1 1/2 hours, so could not be fitted with a mask the second part of night and had to go back two weeks later for titration.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 115 1 hour ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 242 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.