Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Did my machine turn off in the middle of the night?
Did my machine turn off in the middle of the night?

I awoke distressed, removing my mask and mouth tape, gasping for air.

My OSCAR data does not line up vertically like it usually does at this pone point. Normally, the lines stop at the same time. Does this mean my machine turned off while I was still sleeping?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Did my machine turn off in the middle of the night?
I had such a thing when there was electric power stops (because of thunder by example).
I plugged the machine in my UPS (I had one for my computers) : it didn't do what again.
As I moved from to another town, I needn't anymore.
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.
Linux user since 2009 --> current main distribution : Xubuntu 22.04 (laptop)
LUG (named ALDIL) Member since 2015. certifications : ITIL© and ISTQB©

Post Reply Post Reply
On your chart closeup at 01:15 you can see there is a fairly normal inspiratory wave followed by zero flow where exhale should be. This is either the result of an oral exhale, also known as expiratory puff, or a blockage that prevents nasal expiration. Most common is the former. You can see that inspiration is also below normal, and at the end of the segment is an abrupt arousal with a double gasp followed by a breath hold or oral exhale and a large inspiratory recovery before the mask is removed. Your full-night mask does not show a large leak when the mask was removed, unlike the one at 22:30. There is no pressure shown at the time of the arousal, but we can't call that lack of data evidence of a shutdown.

I want you to do a quick test. Remove your mask from the CPAP tube and put it on breathing normally. Now block the mask tube during exhale. Are the mask vents working, or are they plugged? It is possible you experienced a failure in the mask expiratory vent. This is a Airfit P10?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=29520]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This makes sense! I tried the mask test and my vents are fine. It's a ResMed Swift FX for Her. Maybe I plopped my arm over my vents or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
idk your mask so this may or may not be relevant. I've been seeing this pattern in my flow rate for the first time this week. I also had the machine stop several times one night with an error message that the tube was clogged. it wasn't but I believe the vent in my aging p10 mask assembly was. spraying the mesh with a water jet / flosser helps for a while but at some point they just need to be replaced.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Swift FX has an open vent not prone to clogging like the P10. It blows a jet of air.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
well okay then, ala ancient snl and roseanne roseannadana, nevermind!
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve been on CPAP for six weeks now, slowly working through newbie problems and doing pretty good. In the last thirty days, I’ve averaged 6.5 hours a night with 97% compliance. My seven-day AHI average is 2.65. I’ve got my minimum pressure at 8, my ramp off, and EPR on 2. However, I’m still gasping for air and taking off my mask in a panic about four times per week.  I’ve been analyzing OSCAR at those moments.

I’ve noticed a pattern. This is typical, from last night.

When I’m sleeping well without variations in my Flow Rate, it looks like this:

During the night, I see on Oscar frequent incidences that aren’t flagged as events that I sleep though. I notice that my pressure does not go up, but it looks like I’m struggling to exhale, like this:

When I gasped for air last night and took off my nasal pillows, my flow rate looked like this:

It’s not drastic at the moment I take it off, but it is the end of a two minute series of un-flagged events. By the end, I quickly react.

Over the last few weeks, I’ve paid attention to keeping my vents cleared of my blankets, just in case that’s it (it’s not). I’ve also practiced, after taking off the mask, catching my breath, calming down, and replacing my mask to go back to sleep. I don’t think it’s just newbie panic. I feel like I’ve overcome that and that it is a real physiological event I am reacting to. The evidence is consistent on OSCAR.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this and what I might try to alleviate it?
Post Reply Post Reply
You might benefit from 1-cm higher minimum pressure and increasing EPR to 3. Give it a try and let's see how you feel.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I changed my minimum pressure to 9 and EPR to 3. I’ve been sleeping poorly, waking up unsettled. Last night, with my SCC on snuggly, I had an hour of central apneas.

Any ideas how to alleviate?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Is it OK to turn on an oxygen concentrator before my APAP machine? EMihalis 10 695 12-15-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Should I turn off EPR?? sleepygoo 4 579 11-09-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 how do you turn off this bloody touch screen tierdal 12 3,290 07-22-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: silverdr
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 555 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.