Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Did weight loss cause major leaks?
Did weight loss cause major leaks?
I would like to put this info out and see if anyone with more knowledge in the CPAP world could provide some insight!

If you follow my numbers, you'll see I lost 30 lbs, and my Leak Rate increased from 4.9% to 10%. I then lost another 10 lbs and the Leak Rate went to 15% then 16%. 
I gained 10 lbs back and my Leak Rate went down to 11% then to 8%. 
In Feb I started to lose weight again and the Leak Rate is back up to 13%.

Can the weight loss explain the increase in Leak Rate?

If so, could the higher Leak Rate be contributing to my feeling both more tired, and having more aerophagia symptoms, especially gas and bloating?

Thanks!
[Image: hbY4TGe.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Did weight loss cause major leaks?
My own leak rates are too variable to see any pattern, but... people tell me they can see my weight loss in my face, and a change in the face can affect how well your mask fits. That will almost surely affect your leak rates, even with a nasal mask, probably less so with a pillows mask.

Just me two cents worth, rounded down to zero in Canada...
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree that the mask fit can change when losing weight. For most people the first place the weight comes off is the face neck area. That can quickly change the shape of your face and affect the seal on a Full Face Mask. You can try and tighten it up and see if it helps.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Weight loss/gain, strokes and edema all can change the shape of your face resulting in leaks. Tighten the straps just a smidgen, but remember to loosen them if you gain weight again. While the problem is frequently less likely with pillows, it still can occur.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 445 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 210 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 436 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 217 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 362 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 144 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 293 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.