Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Did you stop snoring?
Hey guys,
I have sleep apnea and only did the CPAP for 30 days. 24 years old and I don't want it for the rest of my life...anyway I'm getting a UPPP and tonsillectomy because the ENT says that that's the main reason I snore. All judgments aside, I'm not really interested in curing the apnea, just the snoring. My case is mild...I stop breathing 10 times per hour and it doesn't affect me much during the day.

My questions are to those of you who have had these surgeries done:
Did it cure your snoring? Did it quiet it down? How long did it take? How long did the results last?

Please no advice about making surgery my last resort. Just stories of how this helped your snoring!
Thanks
08-09-2016 05:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

RE: Did you stop snoring?
Hi imanonymous,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

trish6hundred
08-09-2016 06:24 PM
chill Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

Sex: Male

I have not had these surgeries. I will suggest that you also look at how long you stop breathing each time. If it is 10 x 10 seconds that is one thing, 10 x 60 seconds has more of a negative impact on your body but scores the very same 10. That is not an argument for or against surgery, just a general comment about AHI alone not being a great gauge of the effect on on your body. It is always good to have a complete picture of your condition.
08-09-2016 07:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

(08-09-2016 05:36 PM)imanonymous Wrote:  Please no advice about making surgery my last resort. Just stories of how this helped your snoring!
Thanks

Sounds like your mind is made up, so I am left wondering why you are asking us for advice but refusing in advance to listen to any one who disagrees with you. It's your life, do what you want, but implicitly demanding that we agree with your choices seem, well, a little "rich". There are very few "Yes Men" in this forum.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
08-09-2016 08:24 PM
PoolQ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6.2, 15, PS4.0

Other Comments:

My son does the same thing, "just tell me everything I say is great" well then stop asking if you can't take the truth as I see it. Don't ask and I won't tell. Pfft just about had it with the attitude. Have a great time trying to change reality. Bye.
08-09-2016 09:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
icyura10 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Respironiscs DreamWear under the nose nasal ma
Humidifier: INCLUDED
CPAP Pressure: IPAP (20); EPAP (12); PS (8)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in!

Location: I'm just a Galactic Traveler Traversing the Universe on a Blue Rock!

I can tell you this;

My mother snored and they did the surgery's you are contemplating and when they take out your tonsils, they may (likely) remove your adenoids too.

• She Still Snores
  • Given the choice again, she'd pass
  • She can no longer eat "spicy" food and is relegated to a bland diet because she now exhibits symptoms of reflex, but it's not really
  • I'm not convinced it did her any good at all
  • It's made here social dinner life miserable
  • She's talked everyone out of it that's asked her opinion on her results
  • In many regards it's a lot like death, meaning it's not reversible

But heck, what would my mom know after having performed what your considering?

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
08-10-2016 12:17 AM
natyprueba Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: airsense10
Mask Make & Model: resmed mirage 4
Humidifier: integrated in machine
CPAP Pressure: 12

Other Comments: Learning

Hi imanonymous,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

I have not got the surgery, I use a CPAP machine.
I read that you don't want this solution, me neither, but it makes me feel better and sleep about 8 hours with out naps during the day.
The decision is yours, is your life. I don't blame you. Okay
Using my machine I have seen that low AHI are directed correlated with snore. That's means that as low AHI I got, I got low snoring too. I don't know about surgeries. Remember that usually Drs. like to much to make surgeries, sometimes unnecessary surgeries.
Good luck.
Ralph.
08-10-2016 08:49 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

Hi, imanonymous. I'm not sure how many people in this forum have had the experience that you're asking about. Since this is a sleep apnea forum, most of us here have sleep apnea, and for almost all of us, it's severe enough that we need a CPAP machine of some type to treat it (CPAP, APAP, BiPAP, ASV).

I think trying to cure your snoring is a separate issue from your diagnosis of sleep apnea. You might find more people who have had procedures to do that in a forum about snoring.

I would encourage you to get a second opinion before you have the surgery. You might also find Dr. Steven Parks' website and podcasts to have some topics of interest to you.

Since you've already had a sleep study, you might take a look at the results to see how your AHI varied with 1) position (sleeping on your back vs. sleeping on your side) and 2) sleep stage (REM vs. non-REM).

It's very possible that your AHI was very low when you were sleeping on your side. If it also didn't get lots worse during REM sleep, then you would be able to avoid apnea events to a large degree just by avoiding back sleeping.

I would also encourage you to familiarize yourself with some of the less well-known possible effects of sleep apnea like chronic acid reflux and worsened ADHD, anxiety, and depression. Morning headaches and waking up feeling very groggy are two other things to keep an eye out for.

My own severe snoring problem didn't show up until my mid 50s and coincided with developing severe obstructive sleep apnea. The sleep doctor that I saw told me that it was his opinion that surgery would not improve my airway openness enough to keep me from needing CPAP therapy, so I decided not to pursue the surgery idea.

If I was your age, though, and had mild sleep apnea but severe snoring, I imagine I would definitely pursue avenues to get rid of the snoring. I would just suggest that you get more than one opinion about whether a particular surgery will have the desired outcome.

Ever since I was dragged unwillingly into this sleep apnea/snoring/CPAP world last year, I have been dismayed at how the medical practitioners divide up into camps and each often insists that whatever treatment they provide/sell is the right one for you. Frankly, the whole process reminds me a lot of buying a car.
08-10-2016 10:15 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

(08-09-2016 05:36 PM)imanonymous Wrote:  Hey guys,
I have sleep apnea and only did the CPAP for 30 days. 24 years old and I don't want it for the rest of my life...anyway I'm getting a UPPP and tonsillectomy because the ENT says that that's the main reason I snore. All judgments aside, I'm not really interested in curing the apnea, just the snoring. My case is mild...I stop breathing 10 times per hour and it doesn't affect me much during the day.

My questions are to those of you who have had these surgeries done:
Did it cure your snoring? Did it quiet it down? How long did it take? How long did the results last?

Please no advice about making surgery my last resort. Just stories of how this helped your snoring!
Thanks

Hi iamanonymous,
I think back to when I was your age, and I was much like you. No one was going to sway my decisions once I made them. Cool

But your comment about not being interested in "curing" your apnea scares me.
First off, there is no "cure" for Sleep Apnea. But it can be treated!

And I'm not so old that I don't understand what you don't want a mask on your face every night.

I think if you do more research on the detrimental effects that "untreated" apnea has on your body would cause you to rethink.

Just my opinion....I would rather wear a mask than be strangled 10 times an hour!

All I will suggest is to get a second opinion on the surgery you are considering.
I don't know how many here have had that surgery, but obviously they are still on Cpap.

I suspect even if you go through with your surgery to control snoring, your apnea will get worse as you age. By then, your apnea will have caused you to develop other diseases like heart disease, high blood pressure and a host of other scary stuff.

I know you don't want lectured, and I don't mean to. Just do your research and make wise choices while you are young.

Wishing you well!

OpalRose
08-10-2016 10:40 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
edfreeman Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S10
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10, Amara View
Humidifier: ResMed S10
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

My older brother had his tonsils out and could still bring the house down with his snoring . . . his surgery wasn't for the snoring, tonsils were just bad. OTOH, I still have my tonsils, and I'm quiet as a mouse with CPAP. Before CPAP, I was louder than my brother, everybody in the house could hear me with all doors shut.

That being said, my advice would be to always get a second opinion prior to surgery, always. Surgeons make money doing surgery. And, if you go to a sleep doctor and have a sleep test, do what they tell you. It's OK to work with them and ask questions about alternative positions, other means of treatment, etc., but sleep apnea (and you seem to have it) isn't something to fool around with. Good friend of mine, a pinnacle of health, diet, and activity, had a nearly fatal heart attack that was traced to his apnea. On CPAP, says he's never slept or felt better in his life. Get over the stigma of having a gadget on your head when you sleep, you'll thank yourself later.
08-12-2016 09:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Had to STOP APAP Roy289 13 1,058 09-18-2016 08:52 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Stop Therapy Question macheta 17 716 09-15-2016 10:32 PM
Last Post: Jim Bronson
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 8 636 09-11-2016 09:17 PM
Last Post: okieman
Question Snoring and Chasing Pressure chill 32 1,499 09-02-2016 07:26 PM
Last Post: chill
  snoring has increased what is wrong? irenek2013 7 463 08-15-2016 11:10 PM
Last Post: irenek2013
  Resmed S10 Autoset Start/Stop Not Working spicydesi 5 1,597 08-12-2016 10:00 PM
Last Post: jedirye
  Noise up the tube to mask - how to stop it stephennic 3 573 07-12-2016 11:20 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper