Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Did you stop snoring?
RE: Did you stop snoring?
I had my tonsils and adenoids out when I was 6 and I use my PAP for 8 hours a day and not felt this good for years. OBTW, I had my tonsils out when they still put you to sleep using ether. Nasty way to go to sleep.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasty! I loved that ether mask! BUZZZZZ!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2016, 05:36 PM)imanonymous Wrote: Hey guys,
I have sleep apnea and only did the CPAP for 30 days. 24 years old and I don't want it for the rest of my life...anyway I'm getting a UPPP and tonsillectomy because the ENT says that that's the main reason I snore. All judgments aside, I'm not really interested in curing the apnea, just the snoring. My case is mild...I stop breathing 10 times per hour and it doesn't affect me much during the day.

My questions are to those of you who have had these surgeries done:
Did it cure your snoring? Did it quiet it down? How long did it take? How long did the results last?

Please no advice about making surgery my last resort. Just stories of how this helped your snoring!
Thanks

I only have one friend who had the UPPP done.

It did help his snoring a bit but somehow it worsened his apnea. He said he wished that he hadn't gone through with the procedure. He now finds it difficult to clear his throat when its scratchy. Also, he said that occasionally things get up into his sinus cavity and it is very uncomfortable - and difficult to clear out.

Were I you, I would search out the forums dedicated to apnea surgeries. This forum will tend to be pro-CPAP/BPAP.

I have adjusted to BPAP over the years and now find it soothing. I almost regret smashing my very first machine to bits with a large, brass doorstop. It was a very expensive tantrum.

Best of luck!

Grouphug3

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm the same age and I've had the most hardcore surgery done (MMA). Did not help the snoring or the apnea, did fix my bite issues.

The apnea doesn't effect you during the day -- until it does. Oxygen drops slowly damage every system of the body, including the heart and brain. I don't really want to be dependent on a machine for the rest of my life either -- but it beats keeling over at 40 because of an apnea-induced cardiac condition. I figure there'll be a real cure eventually anyway, but until then I will stick with my trusty CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was diagnosed with OSA I thought that there also had to be better solutions than CPAP for life. The one thing that swayed my thinking was the triple bypass I'd had three years previously. This meant a life long regime of medication was ineveitable and instead of looking at a chance of doing this 'naturally' I accepted that I'd had a very lucky break and decided to go with the flow and take my meds.

This thinking also affected my decision about CPAP. I thought about all the things my body and psyche had had to adjust to in my life including wearing glasses at age eleven. Body and psyche happily accepted those changes and I thought that the same would happen for CPAP therapy. It took a couple of months and CPAP is my saviour. I am made aware of that on the odd occasion when I don't use therapy. To put it bluntly I feel like sh*t!!! Why should I go through life feeling like that when I've easily adapted to to this therapy? Surgery? Why?
Post Reply Post Reply
Had I been more informed I would have started CPAP a lot sooner and not had as bad a time. Mom said "Hard Head, Sore Ass" well my but is ok but all the other systems have suffered with low oxygen. Now I get CPAP with added oxygen. Fun Dont-know

Post Reply Post Reply
I was told by my doctor that surgery is not for everyone and is not a permanent cure because I might be gaining/losing weight which will affect the apnea/snore. I don't know if you feel any difference after you use your CPAP in the morning. Such as foggy/clear mind.
The thing is your health will get worse if you don't get enough oxygen during your sleep. This comes in gradually and you won't notice. If you snore with your mouth opened (or feeling dry mouth in the morning), use a head band to see if it helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,373 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,549 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,423 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,436 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 903 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 522 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Gross [CPAP] New RESMED 10 Won't Stop ddwalker 4 404 12-15-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.