Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Didgeridoo Student
Circular breathing, where you breathe in through your nose while breathing out through your mouth is what makes the Didge and interesting instrument. If you listen to most performers you can hear where they breathe in through their nose, the music waxes and wanes. The real experts, you wouldn't be able to tell.

As an aside, would practicing something that requires heavy mouth breathing be a good idea for us OSA sufferers?
Post Reply Post Reply
holden4th,
Here's a link about the Didgeridoo and Sleep Apnea. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16377643
Post Reply Post Reply
Points of interest from this trial:

It seemed to improve snoring outcomes
None of the participants seemed to have done a sleep study
The trial numbers are very small
There was no effect on quality of sleep
All the evidence seems to be anecdotal

It works for some people so it shouldn't necessarily be dismissed but it's not gold standard treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

holden4th,
I don't think anyone was saying it was a gold standard treatment. I was responding to your question if it was a good idea due to heavy mouth breathing. The study showed some improvement for some people and no problem at all due to heavy breathing.

If I thought this was a replacement for CPAP I would have put it on the main page. The true is I found it to be something fun to do that might also have some benefit for sleep apnea but is not the primary reason for playing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unlike Walla Walla I started playing the Didgeridoo expressly for the purpose of improving my sleep apnea. I have found over the month that I have been practicing that I have started to enjoy it, and look forward to the time I've set aside for it.
There are no perfect studies. They can all be picked apart if that is your inclination. If we wait for the perfect study we will be holding our breaths for a very long time.
The participants all had sleep studies. From the report:
"The cardiorespiratory sleep study was performed at the sleep laboratory of the study centre with a computerised system (SleepLab Pro, Jaeger, Hoechberg, Germany), according to the guidelines of the German Society for Sleep Medicine.1"
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't trying to be picky so I apologise if it sounded like it. It would be great if someone eventually came up with a solution that meant we would not have to use our machines but that is somewhere in the future.

I have this vision, (based on seeing a clip of a revivalist meeting where those being blessed can miraculously throw away their crutches, walkers etc) and imagine it for OSA. Both are in the realms of fantasy at this point in time but I suspect that a non-machine treatment for sleep apnea might happen well before the crippled are healed.
Post Reply Post Reply

The study doesn't claim that playing the Didgeridoo is a solution or a cure for sleep apnea. It claims that playing the Didgeridoo can reduce the severity of sleep apnea if you are moderately affected.
More from the study:
"Severity of disease, expressed by the apnoea-hypopnoea index, is also substantially reduced after four months of didgeridoo playing."

For me that is good enough reason to practice with a Didgeridoo. The average reduction in AHI was 6 after the 4 months of practice. I'll be quite happy if I achieve anywhere near a reduction of 6.
Post Reply Post Reply