Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Didn't sleep during Sleep Study
Didn't sleep during Sleep Study
hi,
I went for a sleep study in the nearby sleep clinic but i could sleep only 2 hours that night. The report says I don't have sleep apnea and further advices to get MSLT done to detect narcolepsy, restless leg syndrome. I told the doctor that I was uncomfortable with all the electrodes and the airway thing which is the reason I failed to sleep that night of the study. I asked the doctor to redo the test but he is reluctant. Even the 2 hours I slept on the night of the study was mostly disturbed.

These are the results
AHI 3.1 events/hour
Arousal Index 18.1 events/hour
sa02 95%
Leg movement index 18.2 events/hour

I think not sleeping during the study cannot yield accurate results. It is same as patient not running during the treadmill test. Ami i right?

I am 35 years old male and I have disturbed sleep for the last 18 years. Even when I get 8 hours of sleep at night I don't feel rested in the morning. I feel sleepy all day but if try to nap in the afternoon I choke within a minute of falling asleep and wake up gasping for breath and palpitation. I have been on ezopiclone 2mg, melotonin 7.5 mg and zolpidiem 5mg for 4 years.

Please advice what to do? Should I get the study done again? How about I get the study done in my own house where I have a better chance of sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Didn't sleep during Sleep Study
Definitely do the sleep study again. Perhaps only get 4 hours sleep the night before and have a very physically active day the day of the test so you are ready to sleep.

Do you have someone who could watch you sleep? If you have apnea you will snore, choke, stop breathing and gasp for air... They could tell you if you do this while you wait for the test.
Post Reply Post Reply
I Choke, stop breathing and gasp for air and palpitate if I try to sleep without taking ezopiclone 2mg. This happens if I try to take a nap during the day. This same exact sequence (Choking, stoppage of breath and gasping for air and palpitatation) happens within 1 minute of me falling asleep during daytime nap attempt and I wake gasping of air. This is generally a frightening event and it keeps me from attempting to nap.

But none of this happens at night. I take medication at night around 10:30 PM before bed and fall asleep generally by 11:00 pm. Except one trip to the bathroom, my nights are generally calm. I get 7-8 hours of sleep at night. In the morning i wake up feeling tired. It feels as If i haven't slept at all. Then spend my whole day feeling tired and wanting to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleeplessInDelhi,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try to see if you can get an in-home sleep study.
I didn't sleep well during my first study and had to go back for my titration, (that's where they fit you with a mask and machine and set pressures,) when I got started with CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
the Doc insisted on MSLT (he thinks I have narcolepsy and not sleep apnea) but I will ask for a second sleep study. If i have the sleep study at home is it any less comprehensive than taking it in the lab?
Post Reply Post Reply
Player the only symptom I don't have is snoring. None of my family members have seen me snore.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am very sensitive to electromagnetic interference (EMI). I can not sleep under an electric blanket and I can not sleep with all the wires around my body during a sleep study. My doctor has seen this before but says it is rare. The symptoms are restless legs, actually restless body. I feel like I have the "heebie jeebies". Also my mind feels like I have had way too much caffeine. So I come away from a sleep study with all the wrong results, including restless legs. Fortunately I know this. The last study I had I took a Tramadol before bed and it took care of the heebie Jeebies but did not calm my mind so I was more comfortable but still slept very little. When I use the Auto VPAP and no wires I sleep well and the data can tell the correct story.
Maybe a sensitivity like this is causing your restless leg results.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the meantime, sleep on your side and not your back. It's a great way to diminish the effects of most cases of apnea. You may eventually need to change sleep doctors and get one that recognizes the limitations of the sleep lab method as it applies to certain people. A home sleep study may yield completely different data in those cases where a person has problems sleeping in strange surroundings or conditions that elicit anxiety.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keeping in mind I am just a voice in your head ......
I basically collapsed as it seems you have also and had to do something fast and going thru ins was way to slow and frustrating so I bought a used high end machine and basically eliminated all the bull flops.
If you are in the Delhi in Hamilton Co. you can pick up a home study machine in Mason for under $200. If you are diagnosed as having OSA they can provide the Rx. You can get any number of home studies for a few dollars more online. You can also buy a used autopap on craigslist for not a lot of $ and use the SleepyHead software and doityourself.
Good luck !

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can't sleep all night for a decent sleep study, ask your sleep doc for a small, red pill that will put you out for at least 6 hours. I don't remember what the pill is called, but I've had to use it for at least two of my studies. I needed it not the number of hours but for the fact that I normally don't go to bed much before 1 AM and the center wanted me asleep before 11PM. Whistle
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation Frequent Jolting in Sleep Pawpri 2 37 26 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 77 1,777 Yesterday, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Quitethe1
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 132 Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 80 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 66 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.