Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difference between ResMed AirCurve & AirSense
Difference between ResMed AirCurve & AirSense
I need help. Have been using CPAP for about 14 years. Currently using Fisher & Paykel SleepStyle 200. Machine is at least 8 years old. This machine gives you no information at all. The only feedback on my sleep is from my husband telling me that I'm snoring, my mask slipped, or I have a mouth leak. Can't wait to use SleepyHead! Tried to switch machines a couple of times, but they were always noisier than this one. F & P Icon is last one I tried. There was a whistle that bothered my husband. I hated the constant up and down wheezing noise with every breath.

I have a Rx order for Auto CPAP. From your wonderful review page, I'm deciding between the ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto and the ResMed AirSense 10 Auto (maybe for Her). I can't seem to figure out the difference between the AirSense vs. AirCurve; and Auto vs. Vauto.

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to getting a new machine, but don't want to buy the wrong one. Insurance company requires rental for first few months (I suppose to make sure it works for you).

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Difference between ResMed AirCurve & AirSense
Vauto is an auto bilevel machine. Sometimes called a BiPAP.

The Airsense 10 Autoset is an Auto adjusting machine... quite popular.
The Aircurve 10 Vauto is quite similar but permits a wider split between inhalation and exhalation pressures. (bilevel)

Bilevel is often used at higher pressures where people need more expiratory relief than the EPR setting on the non-bilevel machine can be set to.

I think that "technically" your Rx, as stated, limits you to the Airsense 10 Autoset as the word bilevel would need to be in the Rx for a provider to dispense a Aircurve 10 Vauto.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2015, 03:56 PM)BandMom Wrote: I have a Rx order for Auto CPAP. From your wonderful review page, I'm deciding between the ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto and the ResMed AirSense 10 Auto (maybe for Her). I can't seem to figure out the difference between the AirSense vs. AirCurve; and Auto vs. Vauto.
If we're dealing with obstructive apnea (not central or mixed) then the AutoSet is all what you need given that your CPAP pressure 11/2 is not in the top end. Why use a sledge hammer to crack a walnut Smile

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you zonk and justMongo! Very helpful information. Since all I have ever used is traditional CPAP, with no pressure changes for inhalation and exhalation, I assume that I'll be fine with the AirSense Auto 10.

Will the software already built into machine be helpful to layperson? Any idea how long it will be until SleepyHead has program for this machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2015, 06:16 PM)BandMom Wrote: Thank you zonk and justMongo! Very helpful information. Since all I have ever used is traditional CPAP, with no pressure changes for inhalation and exhalation, I assume that I'll be fine with the AirSense Auto 10.

Will the software already built into machine be helpful to layperson? Any idea how long it will be until SleepyHead has program for this machine?

Sleepyhead already supports the AirSense 10 Auto.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Opal Rose!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BandMom,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
good luck to you on your machine decision and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I would have found this forum years ago! Everyone has been so welcoming and helpful. After checking local sources for the AirSense 10, my only option is to use Apria if I want that machine. I've been down that road before and won't do it again. My next best source is attached to my sleep doctor's office. The only machine they carry is the Philips Respironics Dream Station. I know it is very new, but reading different posts on this site, I'm hoping it is a good machine. That office does have a variety of masks, so maybe they will have what I want to try (Dream Wear nasal mask). I need a mask that I can wear sleeping on my side or stomach. I'm not able to sleep on my back due to stenosis in my neck.

Thanks again for the warm welcome everybody!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BandMom and welcome to the forum.

I'm wondering why the insurance would require a trial rental period on a replacement machine. It's not like they don't know if CPAP therapy will be effective since you have been successfully using it for many years. Might be worth checking if you have not already asked your insurance company about this. They might have a different (less profitable) answer than the DME provides regarding rental periods. Perhaps you can skip the rental period on a replacement machine.

best wishes,

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to ask the other DME if they'll order an Airsense for you or even if they still have any PRS1 (System one) Auto machines.

The DreamStation is probably good, but SleepyHead and even Encore software aren't available to us yet. The only software available is the online cell modem stuff, and it's enormously inferior to Encore Basic or SleepyHead.

I don't have a lot of confidence SleepyHead or Encore will get updated soon, and you need good data when you start your therapy.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 0 25 2 hours ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 4 72 3 hours ago
Last Post: Dormeo
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,417 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 107 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 992 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 Vauto ANTIKATE 5 152 04-14-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 17 694 04-14-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.