Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difference between central and clear airway apnea
RE: Difference between central and clear airway apnea
FOT is a little more than an attempt. There are over 20 years of data backing it up in other ventilation scenarios. Chest belts are a secondary measurement also and are not 100% accurate.

The subject of this thread is Central apnea versus clear airway apnea not central apnea versus obstructive apnea.

Sleepster:

Great job on your tweaking.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2016, 09:30 PM)robysue Wrote: Yes, but ....

It's also possible for there to be no signal to breathe and then the airway collapses and so the machine classifies the apnea as an OA, when it would be classified as either a central apnea or a mixed apnea on an in-lab sleep test.

And real mixed apneas are very likely to be misclassified as OAs by CPAP machines.

Now I have an off topic question or two.

At what point of the FOT does the machine decide whether or not the airway is open. For example:

Breathing cessation for 10 seconds
FOT starts after 4 seconds (for arguments sake)
The first 3 seconds of FOT show open airway
The next 3 seconds show blockage from the airway collapsing
At what point during the FOT does the machine decide and why??

Another question that this brings up relates to the cause for a central apnea turning into an obstructive apnea. Is it just coincidence or is there a thought that the central apnea allows the collapse? Against the continuous pressure of the CPAP?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I have been following this thread very intriguing but you lost me on FOT

I thought he was a Nordic king in 9th century !

please explain

Post Reply Post Reply
FOT, if I remember correctly, stands for Forced Oscillation Technique. It is what Resmed uses to determine if the airway is clear or obstructed. They send a series of small pressure pulses (about 1 cm at 4 cycles per second if memory serves me correctly) and analyze the return-kind of like sonar.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2016, 02:50 PM)0rangebear Wrote: OK I have been following this thread very intriguing but you lost me on FOT

I thought he was a Nordic king in 9th century !

please explain

"Forced Oscillation Technique"

The CPAP machine pulses the air pressure and if the pulses echo back to the machine there is an obstruction, if there is no echo the pulses continue into the lungs and disappear - no echo.

You can see these as tiny 1 cm pulses in the flow diagram/Preasure diagram just before the CA.

Darn: PaytonA beat me - Smile
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2016, 10:25 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Wasn't the subject clear airway versus central apnea?

indeed... but I didn't even see any reference to that in the first post... unless I missed it, it was like apples and oranges between the post and the subject.... *scratching head*
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:The CPAP machine pulses the air pressure and if the pulses echo back to the machine there is an obstruction, if there is no echo the pulses continue into the lungs and disappear - no echo.

it's not an echo, rather it's a difference in flow and pressure response.

if the airway is open, there's more flow with the pressure oscillation, and there's less pressure response, because the lungs are absorbing the pulses of pressure, like a pair of balloons.

if the airway is closed, then there's much *less* flow, and a sharper pressure response, because there's not as much to absorb the pressure fluctuations.

you can usually see this, if you zoom in on the flow and mask pressure traces. sometimes there's more flow and a fuzzier mask pressure trace, and that's a central, sometimes there's very little flow variation, but spikier mask pressure.. and that's an obstructive.

there's a lot of videos out on youtube, here's one that explains FOT and how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GW97Xk06N8
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2016, 03:13 PM)palerider Wrote:
Quote:The CPAP machine pulses the air pressure and if the pulses echo back to the machine there is an obstruction, if there is no echo the pulses continue into the lungs and disappear - no echo.

it's not an echo, rather it's a difference in flow and pressure response.

4 hz is an extremely low frequency, well below the limits of human hearing. A 4hz tone has a wavelength at sea level of 282.5 feet, or 86 meters. This is a lot longer than your airway so 4hz is well above resonance and no standing wave can form. Any reflection would be too fast to detect, basically lost in the noise from the original pulse, I think. I believe that, rather, they measure the impedance of the airflow, which will increase as the "pipe" is shortened.

But I might be mistaken.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2016, 03:39 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I believe that, rather, they measure the impedance of the airflow, which will increase as the "pipe" is shortened.

But I might be mistaken.

what they do is explained, quite clearly in the video linked...

if you want more detail, you'll have to read resmed patents.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks-I get it -didn't mean to start a third topic in this thread.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 846 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 263 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.