Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difference between dry mouth and dry nose and throat?
Difference between dry mouth and dry nose and throat?
Is treating dry mouth and dry nose and throat two separate problems with two separate solutions. This article suggests dry mouth is caused by the pressure itself and adding humidity will have little effect. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5359345/

Are there over the counter saliva stimulates or do I need to get a prescription? I would be curious how others handle each situation.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Difference between dry mouth and dry nose and throat?
I've not them myself, but several AB members mentioned use of XyliMelts as a way to combat dry mouth.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2020, 05:53 AM)Rcgop Wrote: Is treating dry mouth and dry nose and throat two separate problems with two separate solutions. This article suggests dry mouth is caused by the pressure itself and adding humidity will have little effect...
Yes, two separate problems.  Unless one is using a 'mouth mask', which I don't believe exists for PAP therapy of any kind.  We have full face masks, nasal pillows, and nasal masks (the latter cover only the nose).  So, I say yes, two separate problems, because we aren't meant to mouth breathe.  

If you have dry mouth, it probably means your oral cavity is being flushed with a flow of air, and that air can't stop your mouth from drying out horribly no matter how moisture-laden you make it, even to the point of saturation.  On the other hand, our noses can moisten air quite a bit more readily and not suffer.  They will suffer if the air is too dry, however, hence the accommodation by the humification systems we have.  This includes the important heated tubing because you want the moisture the passing air acquires to stay in vapour form and NOT to condense on cold surfaces such as an unheated or improperly heated tube.

Dry mouth, as I stated earlier, is a sign your mouth is being flushed with air.  That can happen with mouth breathing or even when our lips stay closed and we do not get the expulsion of air due to an open mouth.  I use a nasal mask exclusively, but I also open my mouth and will come awake with a blast of air, even at my low fixed 8 cm H20.  So, I must tape my mouth closed.  This has what I would assess as a 95+% efficacy, but I do very rarely have a dry mouth at some point during the night, usually when my tongue falls and some of the air rushes around, swirling, into and out of my mouth cavity.

Moral of the story?  Get at least some utility out of the tongue suck technique where you automatically press the mid and rear areas of your tongue up to the roof of the mouth, effectively sealing it. The is done by creating a vacuum at the same time, sucking the tongue up to close off the space above it, and to its side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I was trying to fix dry mouth humidity with no avail. Last night was my first night with my new F30 FFM. Got through the first night very well and the dry mouth was greatly reduced. Still have adjustments to make but I am encouraged once again. 

Again thanks ?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,239 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.