Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difference in reporting between resmed and HMD
Difference in reporting between resmed and HMD
I have a Resmed S9 that I have used successfully for several years. Usual night will read an AHI of about 1.6 and a pressure of about 8. I recently purchased a Z1 apap for travel and used this past weekend (3 nights) Original setting was 4-20 (My resmed was 6-16)) pressure did not deviate from from the 4. but apparently no apnea events and an ahi of 0 the first night and a single apnea the second night which surprised me given the low pressure. I did however not like the setting of 4 as others have said you feel very claustrophobic so I changed it to the 6-16 setting I have on my resmed. It felt better but again the pressure did not change from the 6, and I recorded one Apnea event that night also. My questions are: is the Z1 accurately identifying my events? Is the resmed giving me more pressure than I need? Is there a danger in getting a slightly higher pressure than you need. Do the two machines measure pressure differently? I have had apap therapy for about four years. It was not considered terrible at my sleep study and was fairly mild. ANy comments welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Difference in reporting between resmed and HMD
Hi andefor65,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Every manufacturer uses their own proprietary software and algorithms in their machines. You will never see exactly the same AHI reporting results from different brands, and there might even be some statistically significant differences.

I too have an S9, an Airsense 10, and also a Z1 Auto for my travel use. These machines (ResMed & HDM Z1) could not be more different in most aspects. The ResMed is by far the more sophisticated machine both in operation and event recording, so I use the ResMed data as my baseline, and the data from the Z1 just as a reference.

I experience basically the same thing you are reporting, my ResMed machines both want to settle on a higher pressure, and they both report more events than the Z1. Personally I treat the Z1 as such a different animal that I set it up somewhat differently than I do the ResMeds. I tend to run the Z1 a couple centimeters higher on the minimum pressure setting in order to get similar therapy from it compared to the ResMeds.

One glaring example of the difference between the machines is that the ResMed uses an FOT technique to differentiate between an obstructive event versus a clear airway event (central apnea) and will report each separately. The Z1 has no such capability, it lumps all apneas into the same bucket and therefore has no ability to breakdown the events into obstructive or clear airway. This is just one example that would lead one to use the ResMed as your more accurate baseline machine and take the data reported from the Z1 with a big grain of salt.

I love the Z1 for it's small size as sometimes I have very limited packing space. It breathes ok now on the most recent version of the Z-Breath function (I like it best on number 2) -- the downside is the noise produced by the small, high velocity turbine it uses, and of course I would not depend heavily on the sleep data it reports. It's only real benefit is the diminutive size when packing space is very limited.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2017, 08:34 AM)under pressure Wrote: Every manufacturer uses their own proprietary software and algorithms in their machines. You will never see exactly the same AHI reporting results from different brands, and there might even be some statistically significant differences.

I too have an S9, an Airsense 10, and also a Z1 Auto for my travel use. These machines (ResMed & HDM Z1) could not be more different in most aspects. The ResMed is by far the more sophisticated machine both in operation and event recording, so I use the ResMed data as my baseline, and the data from the Z1 just as a reference.

I experience basically the same thing you are reporting, my ResMed machines both want to settle on a higher pressure, and they both report more events than the Z1. Personally I treat the Z1 as such a different animal that I set it up somewhat differently than I do the ResMeds. I tend to run the Z1 a couple centimeters higher on the minimum pressure setting in order to get similar therapy from it compared to the ResMeds.

One glaring example of the difference between the machines is that the ResMed uses an FOT technique to differentiate between an obstructive event versus a clear airway event (central apnea) and will report each separately. The Z1 has no such capability, it lumps all apneas into the same bucket and therefore has no ability to breakdown the events into obstructive or clear airway. This is just one example that would lead one to use the ResMed as your more accurate baseline machine and take the data reported from the Z1 with a big grain of salt.

I love the Z1 for it's small size as sometimes I have very limited packing space. It breathes ok now on the most recent version of the Z-Breath function (I like it best on number 2) -- the downside is the noise produced by the small, high velocity turbine it uses, and of course I would not depend heavily on the sleep data it reports. It's only real benefit is the diminutive size when packing space is very limited.

Thank you, I had been thinking of getting a second machine as we have a cabin that we go to quite often and packing and unpacking is a pain. I elected on the z1 as I also have a red eye flight coming up and figured it's small size an battery operation would make it ideal. The plan was to use the resmed at home 90percent of the time Once I received it I have been using as I want to make sure it works for me on my upcoming vacation. I quite like it, I just want to make sure I am not sacrificing the health benefits that come with Cpap therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,101 Today, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 221 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 227 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 9 978 02-20-2024, 09:27 PM
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 269 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 566 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Being overweight - make a big difference? p123 6 1,810 11-03-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Cpapian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.