Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difference in reporting useage in Oscar from Sleephead
RE: Difference in reporting useage in Oscar from Sleephead
(07-13-2019, 09:36 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Can you tell me where you saw SleepyHead 2.2? The latest version I'm aware of is 1.1.0.

He's using the old Mac version of SH, which is named 1.0.0-beta-2.2

That's where he's getting the "version 2.2" from. 

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
On your Mac f12 should work to get a screenshot if you press the fn key at the same time as the F12 if you don’t have an fun key try ctrl
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2019, 09:36 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day again Byahero.  For some reason your posts are getting scrambled and the attachments are all appearing in the wrong place (which messes up the formatting). So I've fixed the last one for you. The main thing to be aware of is the location of the cursor (the blinking vertical bar) when you click on the "Insert attachment into post" button. If the cursor is within a quote block it's likely to mess things up, so make sure the cursor is right at the end under the text.

You might like to re-read this: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Can you tell me where you saw SleepyHead 2.2? The latest version I'm aware of is 1.1.0. In any case, Oscar is now fully developed and has superseded SleepyHead, so I suggest you use Oscar only. I think the discrepancy between the reported hours (Oscar v SleepyHead) is due to the fact you're sleeping past noon according to the machine's internal clock. I note your machine is set to GMT-10 but you're actually living in GMT+8 (nice timezone by the way!). If you're going to be there for some time you should probably reset the clock to your local time. When you go back to the states you can reset to your home time, but this must be done in careful stages - there are a couple of threads describing this. You can do it by deleting all data, but that's a bit drastic.

EDITED to add:  If F12 doesn't work to take the screen shot, in Oscar use the menu option View | Take Screenshot. This will generate a png file which is quicker and easier to view than the pdf files your app produces.

Thanks DeepBreathing!

I actually made a mistake when I called SleepyHead 2.2 ... what I meant to say was 1.0.0 Beta 2.2 for Mac.
When I open the program it says 2.0 in the Choose User Pane, but when I choose Get Info about the installation file it calls it "SleepyHead-1.0.0-beta-2.2-Snapshot-MacOSX-20160421.dmg" so my best guess now is that it IS Beta 2.2 but it only displays 2.0 in the panel when I open it because I tried to install it and it made a SleepyHead 2 app with the same creation date as the one I was using April 21, 2016.

I have experimented with attaching a PNG file here, after re-reading the instructions, especially he part about the positioning of the cursor when I attach a file, and so far it looks like that may solve the problem of mangled posts... I hope.

Now the problem about Oscar not reporting the latest session ... there there is another thread about somebody else having that problem as well, and he said it later fixed itself.  That seems to have happened with me as well.  Yesterday when I tried uploading the data from the SD card, Oscar claimed it was already up to date, which it wasn't ... i was reporting three days ago data, while SleepyHead was reporting current data. Now today when I opened Oscar and chose to import the data from the SD Card Oscar announced that it was or had downloaded 5 sessions, and now both Oscar and SleepyHead are reporting the same data from last night.

If that continues, then I will just use Oscar as you have suggested.

Now as for creating a new profile when I get my VAuto machine soon, how exactly should I do that .... create a new UserName or just create a new directory to save the data in or both? Is it desirable or useful to name the SD card rather tha  it being called NoName and a number or better to just leave the card(s) like they come.

Here is a screenshot I took of last night's data in Oscar, using the procedure you suggested - View; Create Screenshot which I will try to attach as per my understanding of the instructions.

Oops... it says:

Please correct the following errors before continuing:
  • The file you attached is too large. The maximum size for that type of file is 700 kilobytes.
    Any suggestions?? The finder claims the png file created by Oscar is 988 kilobytes
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2019, 01:51 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: On your Mac f12 should work to get a screenshot if you press the fn key at the same time as the F12 if you don’t have an fun key try ctrl

Unfortunately that doesn't work but I found out here how to do it.

Quote:How to take a screenshot on your Mac
You can capture the entire screen, a window, or just a selected portion of the screen.

If you've upgraded to macOS Mojave, you can use Shift-Command (⌘)-5 to take all types of screenshots, or make video recordings of your screen. Other keyboard shortcuts, such as Shift-Command-3 and Shift-Command-4, continue to work in all versions of macOS.

I also found that SnagIt which I use constantly also can save screenshots in png format if that works better here ... I am just used to using PDF's.

Thanks for the suggestion jaswilliams!
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, it looks like the scrambled post issue is solved.

Your oversized file might be a Mac thing - what screen resolution are you running? For reference I am running 1920 x 1080 on a Windows machine and the screenshots are all under 200 kb.

To create a new profile, just go to the profile page in Oscar and select New Profile. The detailed instructions are here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...first_time You see you'll need to create a new user name (which only applies within Oscar, not here on the forum). Don't create any new directories - Oscar will look after all that. I've never bothered naming my cards - the software is more concerned with your machine serial number which is written in the data on the card (which is why you should use a different card for each machine).
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I don't know what resolution I am running ... under Display it says:

Well thanks for help with file attachments ... I'll call Apple tomorrow when they are open and ask what "Retina Default Resolution" means.

Are there any types of files that could be smaller than png? For example are jpeg files smaller than png files?
I might not be able to create other than png files with OSCAR, but perhaps with another screenshot creating technique if necessary.

Quote:While total attachment space is unlimited for forum members, individual image files are limited to 700 KB, while other file types are limited to 1024 KB (1 MB). SleepyHead screenshot images (.png) are about 150 KB each, so the individual image size limit should be no problem. Photos may need to be resized to less than 700 KB while larger multi-page document and PDF files may need to be broken into parts in some cases.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2019, 03:10 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: To create a new profile, just go to the profile page in Oscar and select New Profile. The detailed instructions are here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...first_time  You see you'll need to create a new user name (which only applies within Oscar, not here on the forum). Don't create any new directories - Oscar will look after all that. I've never bothered naming my cards - the software is more concerned with your machine serial number which is written in the data on the card (which is why you should use a different card for each machine).

Thanks for that info!  I'll do that as soon as I get my new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oddly enough I made another screenshot in Oscar now and that was even bigger ... 1 MB!

But then I made screenshot in SnagIt and it is only 245KB.

Perhaps one of the things that was causing the garbled posts is that when I click on Insert in Post, nothing appeared to happen, and so I kept clicking on it.

I just noticed now that this attachment (only visible when I select EDIT) was attached 4 or 5 times .... the amount of times I guess I had clicked on insert and nothing appeared to happen, but it seemed like the attachment was not visible in the unsent post until I chose to edit it.

So if this attachment actually works and shows last night's sleep period, I notice I had a number of RERAs ... is that something to be concerned about and can something be done to reduce them if it is important to do so?
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=13647 Wrote:DeepBreathing pid='302947' dateline='1563264618']Your oversized file might be a Mac thing - what screen resolution are you running? For reference I am running 1920 x 1080 on a Windows machine and the screenshots are all under 200 kb.

[...]

G'day DeepBreathing  Shy

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out this size issue this morning, including calling Apple Support, and basically I am spinning.

I called Apple Support this morning, and basically the support person didn't know what resolution Default for Retina meant, and eventually sought the advice of a senior advisor, but they had just clocked out one minute before she tried to get to that department, so I supposedly will get a call from them about that issue tomorrow.

She did show me the result of changing the display setting from Display Resolution from "Default for Display" to "Scaled", which basically changes the size of the displayed font, but doesn't tell you what resolution that is ... although she indicated that it did show resolution on her computer ... hence the request to escalate the question to a senior advisor.

Now leaving that display resolution aside for a moment, I discovered that weirdly enough, whenever I create a screenshot using OSCAR, not only is it too big, but if create another one from the same data, it gets even bigger!  I made one from this last nights data and it was 988 KB I think, and then I made another one to demonstrate this to Apple with screen sharing, and the next one it created was over 1 MB!  

Then I deleted them both as soon as I saw those sizes as they were both unusable, but the Apple person hadn't wanted me to do that since she wanted to try to show me how to reduce the size, so I made a third screenshot from the same period's data as the previous two and that screenshot was 2.2 MB!!

There is a way to reduce the size, which is kind of involved, but it appears that whatever size you reduce it to, when someone downloads it (at least on my Mac) you can make it larger (in display size) by just using the touchpad to increase the size so you can see it better.  I had been concerned that maybe if I reduced the file-size too much it would be hard to see, but now I think not.

Now before I go into how to reduce the file-size, to my amazement I discovered that SleepyHead also has a "View; Create Screenshot" menu choice and if I choose to do that, using the very same last night's data which results in a 2.2 MB png files when created with OSCAR, the resulting file, when created from within SleepyHead results in a 241 KB file!!!

So perhaps could these big file sizes be created because of some settings in OSCAR perhaps in the Preferences.xml file or somewhere else which might be different than the settings in SleepyHead?? 

Also if I use SnagIt 2019 for Mac to create a screenshot from the OSCAR display, it is also not very large, and I discovered that SnagIt can also save PNG files as well as the PNG files I had been accustomed to using.

Here is the screenshot created from View; Create Screenshot from last night's data using SleepyHead.

Now as far as reducing the file-size of the huge png files created by OSCAR using View; Create Screenshot,
here is how to do it, at least on a Mac,

Locate the file you want resize in Finder, select it, right click and choose open with the Preview App.

Once you have the file open do what it says in this graphic 1, 2, then 3:

The Image Dimensions will recompute the file size as you alter the "Fit Into" or Percentage of Width and Height choices or settings and display the new file size.

I'm not sure how the different Fit Into, or Weight and Width Percentage settings will cause the appearance of the uploaded screenshots to appear, but as long as the size isn't too big I guess it will be OK.

Still, in the end it would be preferable to be able to somehow cause OSCAR to make reasonable sized screenshots, just like SleepyHead does!  Hopefully we can find some setting to cause that to happen!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2019, 01:54 AM)biyahero Wrote: G'day DeepBreathing  Shy

I don't know why my previous message included 3 copies of my last night's results rather than what I tried to attach, but I'll try to get it right here:

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out this size issue this morning, including calling Apple Support, and basically I am spinning.

I called Apple Support this morning, and basically the support person didn't know what resolution Default for Retina meant, and eventually sought the advice of a senior advisor, but they had just clocked out one minute before she tried to get to that department, so I supposedly will get a call from them about that issue tomorrow.

She did show me the result of changing the display setting from Display Resolution from "Default for Display" to "Scaled", which basically changes the size of the displayed font, but doesn't tell you what resolution that is ... although she indicated that it did show resolution on her computer ... hence the request to escalate the question to a senior advisor.

Now leaving that display resolution aside for a moment, I discovered that weirdly enough, whenever I create a screenshot using OSCAR, not only is it too big, but if create another one from the same data, it gets even bigger!  I made one from this last nights data and it was 988 KB I think, and then I made another one to demonstrate this to Apple with screen sharing, and the next one it created was over 1 MB!  

Then I deleted them both as soon as I saw those sizes as they were both unusable, but the Apple person hadn't wanted me to do that since she wanted to try to show me how to reduce the size, so I made a third screenshot from the same period's data as the previous two and that screenshot was 2.2 MB!!

There is a way to reduce the size, which is kind of involved, but it appears that whatever size you reduce it to, when someone downloads it (at least on my Mac) you can make it larger (in display size) by just using the touchpad to increase the size so you can see it better.  I had been concerned that maybe if I reduced the file-size too much it would be hard to see, but now I think not.

Now before I go into how to reduce the file-size, to my amazement I discovered that SleepyHead also has a "View; Create Screenshot" menu choice and if I choose to do that, using the very same last night's data which results in a 2.2 MB png files when created with OSCAR, the resulting file, when created from within SleepyHead results in a 241 KB file!!!

So perhaps could these big file sizes be created because of some settings in OSCAR perhaps in the Preferences.xml file or somewhere else which might be different than the settings in SleepyHead?? 

Also if I use SnagIt 2019 for Mac to create a screenshot from the OSCAR display, it is also not very large, and I discovered that SnagIt can also save PNG files as well as the PNG files I had been accustomed to using.

Here is the screenshot created from View; Create Screenshot from last night's data using SleepyHead.

Now as far as reducing the file-size of the huge png files created by OSCAR using View; Create Screenshot,
here is how to do it, at least on a Mac,

Locate the file you want resize in Finder, select it, right click and choose open with the Preview App.

Once you have the file open do what it says in this graphic 1, 2, then 3:

The Image Dimensions will recompute the file size as you alter the "Fit Into" or Percentage of Width and Height choices or settings and display the new file size.

I'm not sure how the different Fit Into, or Weight and Width Percentage settings will cause the appearance of the uploaded screenshots to appear, but as long as the size isn't too big I guess it will be OK.

Still, in the end it would be preferable to be able to somehow cause OSCAR to make reasonable sized screenshots, just like SleepyHead does!  Hopefully we can find some setting to cause that to happen!

I think I got it right this time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple machine reporting briano52 2 503 10-19-2023, 11:59 PM
Last Post: briano52
  Confused regarding AirSense 11 data reporting markcs 13 1,866 08-28-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Arrow Difference between Response Standard, Soft and Autoset for Her mode skvbksc321 0 515 01-18-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: skvbksc321
  Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health degrees89 6 1,533 12-23-2022, 04:29 AM
Last Post: degrees89
  reporting time 4Eversleepy 4 916 07-09-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: 4Eversleepy
  ? inconsistency in reporting vibratory snores Dr.Bob 6 1,074 05-04-2022, 08:23 AM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  Oscar not reporting correct climate control? [resolved, will be fixed in 1.1.1] allanri 6 1,606 01-16-2022, 12:00 AM
Last Post: midwestguy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.