Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difference in reporting useage in Oscar from Sleephead
RE: Difference in reporting useage in Oscar from Sleephead
In my experience the screenshots from SleepyHead and Oscar are pretty much the same, so something weird is going on here.

I don't have a Mac so I can't do any experimenting as you have done, so at this stage I'm going to bail out and refer this to the Oscar development team.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I've checked with the developers and apparently there are some issues with screen captures on some models of Mac. This is being worked on as we speak. In the meantime it might be worth sticking with Snagit until there is a fix for Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you do View > Create Screenshot on both SleepyHead and OSCAR for the same day's data and attach both .png files without any alteration?

We need to make sure we're comparing apples to apples (no pun intended) and all the various approaches to taking screenshots and reducing the file size make it impossible to do so.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2019, 01:08 PM)sawinglogz Wrote: Could you do View > Create Screenshot on both SleepyHead and OSCAR for the same day's data and attach both .png files without any alteration?

biyahero,  if the above request by sawinglogz creates image files that are too large to attach, feel free to email them to me a apneaboard@gmail.com and I can upload them myself so that sawinglogz can view them (or email them to him).

Thanks so much for your help and sticking with this!!   Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=13667 Wrote:sawinglogz pid='303171' dateline='1563386909']Could you do View > Create Screenshot on both SleepyHead and OSCAR for the same day's data and attach both .png files without any alteration?

We need to make sure we're comparing apples to apples (no pun intended) and all the various approaches to taking screenshots and reducing the file size make it impossible to do so.

Thanks!

OK sure, I just made two new screenshots with the same data from last night with both OSCAR and SleepyHead and will attach them.

I didn't alter them at all, including the filename, so to distinguish them from one another the one ending in 943 is the OSCAR created file and the one ending in 636 is the one created by SleepHead.

I think the OSCAR one, while much less in size than the ones I had created using OSCARA previously is probably still too large at 885 KB so it that is too large I'll email them as SuperSleeper suggested in the next message.

Thanks for your help!

The Oscar one is too big it says at 885 KB and the Max is 700 KB according go the error message, so I will email them as SuperSleeper suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SuperSleeper,

I just emailed both files to apneaboard@gmail.com since I wasn't sure how to email them directly to sawinglogz.

The OSCAR created one was too large at 885 KB when the max is 700 KB.  Strangely when I created (as I mentioned in my email) a second screenshot in OSCAR from the same last night's data as the screenshot that resulted in a 885 KB file so I could demonstrate the issue, the second screenshot came out to be 2.5 MB!!!

After multiple calls to and from Apple Support (partially because I have a custom built model MacBook Pro and partially because their documentation is sketchy) it appears fairly certain the Retina Display of my machine has a Default Native Resolution of 2880 X 1800 with 220 pixels per inch using an Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB Graphics component.

Thanks for your continued help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the samples. There are a few different issues going on here, but they boil down to two things:

1. Mac screenshots are broken in SH and OSCAR 1.0.1. In this case, OSCAR was grabbing your entire screen, which is larger than your window, hence a larger file size. Additionally, since it was your entire screen, the size of the file would depend on what else was on your screen: more windows or especially photographs would make it much larger. And even the older version of SH would grab the wrong portion of the screen if you have more than one display.
  2. Screenshots taken on Retina (or scaled) displays will be twice the size of screenshots taken on a non-Retina display. It looks like the old version of SH wasn't aware of the actual screen resolution, so it was just saving the low-resolution rendering of the window (1440x920 in your case), rather than what was actually on screen. Newer version of the Qt framework save what's actually on your screen (2880 wide in your case), since they seem to render properly on scaled displays.
#1 is already fixed in development builds, but there's not yet a publicly available test build with the fix yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2019, 02:49 PM)sawinglogz Wrote: Thank you for the samples. There are a few different issues going on here, but they boil down to two things:

1. Mac screenshots are broken in SH and OSCAR 1.0.1. In this case, OSCAR was grabbing your entire screen, which is larger than your window, hence a larger file size. Additionally, since it was your entire screen, the size of the file would depend on what else was on your screen: more windows or especially photographs would make it much larger. And even the older version of SH would grab the wrong portion of the screen if you have more than one display.
  2. Screenshots taken on Retina (or scaled) displays will be twice the size of screenshots taken on a non-Retina display. It looks like the old version of SH wasn't aware of the actual screen resolution, so it was just saving the low-resolution rendering of the window (1440x920 in your case), rather than what was actually on screen. Newer version of the Qt framework save what's actually on your screen (2880 wide in your case), since they seem to render properly on scaled displays.
#1 is already fixed in development builds, but there's not yet a publicly available test build with the fix yet.

Thanks sawinglogs.  I'm glad you were able to determine the problem so quickly!

I did actually find a way to display my actual screen resolution, which is 2880X1800.

With regards to issue #1 I only have one display ... the built in one ... but the first part of the # 1 explains why if I make another screenshot of the same night's data it's size could vary so much!

I guess my best bet for now until or unless # 2 can be remedied, I should use either SH or if I use OSCAR then instead of using the View; Take Screenshot option I should use Snagit to create the screenshot ... would you agree?

Alternatively I guess I could try closing everything else so that nothing would be showing on the screen ... well that gave me a possibly better idea ... I just opened OSCAR again, dragged the OSCAR window to fill the entire display so that nothing else was visible on the screen except for the OSCAR display, and made a new screenshot, which did come out under the 700 KB limitation (barely) at 644 KB! 

Still I hope you can find a better solution to this problem than to have to drag the OSCAR display to fill the whole screen ech time before making a screenshot.

Thanks for all your work on this project!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2019, 02:49 PM)sawinglogz Wrote: Thank you for the samples. There are a few different issues going on here, but they boil down to two things:

[...]

I really see what you mean now.  I opened up the older screenshots that I had made with OSCAR and with SH and indeed the screenshots made with both applications show everything that was on the screen ... the desktop portion that was behind the OSCAR or SH window or whatever else was open and showing on the screen, although the SH ones were smaller for the reason you mentioned it not being aware of and trying to duplicate the actual screen resolution.

That is probably also why the Snagit screen captures are not so big because with Snagit you can drag the capture window to include only the part of the screen you want to capture (and can also scroll the selected horizontal capture window vertically if you desire). I just confirmed that by opening a Snagit capture of my OSCAR window from July 14, and it shows only the OSCAR window and not what was actually visible on the screen behind the OSCAR window when I made that screenshot.

Thanks again for all your work on this!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Another Mac trick you can use to get just the window you want is:

1. Cmd-shift-4, which will let you drag a region of the screen to capture (just like SnagIt), but then:
2. Space bar, which will switch to a window selection mode. Move your mouse to highlight the window you want to capture, then click.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple machine reporting briano52 2 475 10-19-2023, 11:59 PM
Last Post: briano52
  Confused regarding AirSense 11 data reporting markcs 13 1,736 08-28-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Arrow Difference between Response Standard, Soft and Autoset for Her mode skvbksc321 0 492 01-18-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: skvbksc321
  Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health degrees89 6 1,478 12-23-2022, 04:29 AM
Last Post: degrees89
  reporting time 4Eversleepy 4 860 07-09-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: 4Eversleepy
  ? inconsistency in reporting vibratory snores Dr.Bob 6 1,013 05-04-2022, 08:23 AM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  Oscar not reporting correct climate control? [resolved, will be fixed in 1.1.1] allanri 6 1,564 01-16-2022, 12:00 AM
Last Post: midwestguy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.