Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Different Mask Options for Different Situations
Different Mask Options for Different Situations
When I was first diagnosed with OSA two years ago, I knew very little about the condition and didn't have enough sense to research prior to the start of treatment. When the DME company handed me a machine and a mask, I didn't have a clue that options were available. I accepted what I was given and marched on. My machine is old and outdated and replacement options are years down the road. Wishing i had be knowledgeable enough to have researched and demanded better. My nasal pillows worked fine, until I got a major cold with nasal congestion and cold sores on my nose! I couldn't use my CPAP for two weeks. My next visit to my doctor resulted in some advice that has been helpful to me. I'm sure most of you seasoned Pappers already know this but it may benefit a newbie or two. My doctor recommended getting a different mask as often as covered by insurance so as to have a variety for different situations in your life. I have a full face mask for colds and congestion, nasal pillows for comfort and my latest, the Wisp, which I am still adapting to. Point of this post is to encourage anyone who has not received their equipment yet to do your homework. Make sure you cover options and get quality equipment. I'm finding out that we aren't going to get much help from the DME companies, we have to do this on our own.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Different Mask Options for Different Situations
(11-27-2013, 05:07 PM)Donna Wrote: When I was first diagnosed with OSA two years ago, I knew very little about the condition and didn't have enough sense to research prior to the start of treatment. When the DME company handed me a machine and a mask, I didn't have a clue that options were available. I accepted what I was given and marched on. My machine is old and outdated and replacement options are years down the road. Wishing i had be knowledgeable enough to have researched and demanded better. My nasal pillows worked fine, until I got a major cold with nasal congestion and cold sores on my nose! I couldn't use my CPAP for two weeks. My next visit to my doctor resulted in some advice that has been helpful to me. I'm sure most of you seasoned Pappers already know this but it may benefit a newbie or two. My doctor recommended getting a different mask as often as covered by insurance so as to have a variety for different situations in your life. I have a full face mask for colds and congestion, nasal pillows for comfort and my latest, the Wisp, which I am still adapting to. Point of this post is to encourage anyone who has not received their equipment yet to do your homework. Make sure you cover options and get quality equipment. I'm finding out that we aren't going to get much help from the DME companies, we have to do this on our own.

This is so true. Had I not done my research, I don't know what I would have ended up with. But my RT is pretty good she has let me take home and use several masks.
I have a weird face. All the ff masks leak.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have only once or twice had issues with a cold/flu and my nasal pillows. I had tender nostrils from sneezing all day and rubbing my nose. The next morning, the nasal pillows were actually stuck in there. Not from the phlegm, but from the sore spot. I had to use warm water to remove the pillows. After that, I got Ayr gel. I coat the inside of each nostril, and sometimes the pillows, too. That has helped a lot!

There is one Ayr gel that has menthol. Be careful and don't get that one! Burns like mad!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think that's great advice. I asked my RT what I was supposed to do when I was sick or had a stuff nose and she just shrugged. She said the insurance company isn't going to pay for a new mask just because I have a cold. Not very helpful.

I have three masks at home currently and may be adding to the collection on Friday. I was given one initially, found I needed something, so the DME had me try one on at the office. It leaked horribly once the machine was turned on so she tried me on a third. She said that the two that didn't fit were just going to go into the trash so I might as well take them. I really like that it! Yay for free stuff! Of course, it'd be better if I had three masks that fit and worked for me....

(11-27-2013, 05:07 PM)Donna Wrote: When I was first diagnosed with OSA two years ago, I knew very little about the condition and didn't have enough sense to research prior to the start of treatment. When the DME company handed me a machine and a mask, I didn't have a clue that options were available. I accepted what I was given and marched on. My machine is old and outdated and replacement options are years down the road. Wishing i had be knowledgeable enough to have researched and demanded better. My nasal pillows worked fine, until I got a major cold with nasal congestion and cold sores on my nose! I couldn't use my CPAP for two weeks. My next visit to my doctor resulted in some advice that has been helpful to me. I'm sure most of you seasoned Pappers already know this but it may benefit a newbie or two. My doctor recommended getting a different mask as often as covered by insurance so as to have a variety for different situations in your life. I have a full face mask for colds and congestion, nasal pillows for comfort and my latest, the Wisp, which I am still adapting to. Point of this post is to encourage anyone who has not received their equipment yet to do your homework. Make sure you cover options and get quality equipment. I'm finding out that we aren't going to get much help from the DME companies, we have to do this on our own.

Post Reply Post Reply
Idea 
On the topic of "Different Mask Options...", last night I tried something I thought was interesting. I'm still experimenting with different mask types. I've been struggling a lot with leaks verses having the mask feel too tight. It's seems like about every two or three hours I wake up for one reason or another. Last night, when I awoke, I switch masks between a nasal mask, and total face mask. The way they fit the face is very different, and just like changing posture, it seem more comfortable to be doing something different. And that help me stay with the therapy all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
sir-sleeps-alot, when I took a mask that didn't work back, they told me that they send then back to the company to be refurbished. Sure didn't give me anything. Funny how we all get different stories from DME agencies, isn't it? How do we really know what the truth is?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2013, 09:38 PM)Donna Wrote: sir-sleeps-alot, when I took a mask that didn't work back, they told me that they send then back to the company to be refurbished. Sure didn't give me anything. Funny how we all get different stories from DME agencies, isn't it? How do we really know what the truth is?

It depends on their policy as well as your insurance policy. There is no universal policy.
As for preventing mask leaks I have found Remzzzs mask liners to work really well.
My Quattro Air leaks when the pressures go up so using a liner works well and feels nice on your face. They are 30 bucks for thirty liners.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2013, 09:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I have only once or twice had issues with a cold/flu and my nasal pillows. I had tender nostrils from sneezing all day and rubbing my nose. The next morning, the nasal pillows were actually stuck in there. Not from the phlegm, but from the sore spot. I had to use warm water to remove the pillows. After that, I got Ayr gel. I coat the inside of each nostril, and sometimes the pillows, too. That has helped a lot!

There is one Ayr gel that has menthol. Be careful and don't get that one! Burns like mad!

I ALWAYS have Ayr Saline Nasal Gel available (it has aloe vera in it) and wouldn't think of not having it around. Good suggestion
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 200 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,876 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,154 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Just received Phillips refurb ASV machine - options? Labromaniac 3 517 11-20-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] Resvent iBreeze C20 replacement - Options? sheldor 3 888 03-08-2023, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Good Info Here on Treatment Options cmpman1974 0 364 03-01-2023, 11:19 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.