Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty Breathing
Difficulty Breathing
I had great success over the first 3 weeks of CPAP use but then most recently I have found the unit is difficult to breath in and out of.  I find myself all of a sudden working harder than normal to inhale & exhale.  Nothing in my settings changed.  This has also resulted in moisture/condensate accumulating in the tubing...

I have resorted to my portable CPAP for now and have ben unable to determine whats wrong with the main CPAP....

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Difficulty Breathing
It could be something simple. Do you use a P10 mask? Be sure you are cleaning the mask at least once a week, especially the mesh. Also, change out the filters on the machine.

If you want someone to take a look at your data, then download #SleepyHead software. Follow the tutorials in my signature line.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could wrap a snuggle around the tube , or raise above you at nite.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Gone Fission! I was just curious; are you a nuclear engineer, by any chance?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GoneFission,

Welcome to Apnea Board. Unless I missed it, I didn't note if you have the heated hose or not. If you do not have one, that can cause increased moisture in the hose and mask, dependent somewhat on your room humidity and temperature.

I've noticed in the past, before I obtained a headed hose, that my mask and non-heated hose would accumulate water. It did affect me, as in it made it more difficult to breathe through the water in the hose.

A few things to consider doing/checking:

1. Try varying the humidity controls, the goal to have enough humidity for your comfort but low enough to prevent or lessen hose moisture (myself, I almost always have humidity on 8 and heated hose on 86°F AKA full blast, no hose moisture for me, my room temp is 72° BTW)

2. Check and replace filter if needed, clogged filter restricts incoming air

3. Route the hose so it goes uphill to you and the mask, moisture should run back into humidifier OK

4. If you don't have one, consider a heated hose, prevents moisture condensing because it's kept warmer all the way to your mask

5. Check into a hose cover, insulating and cushioning properties, may be enough to prevent moisture condensing without heated hose

Best wishes on success,
Dave B
Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2017, 10:26 AM)GoneFission Wrote: I had great success over the first 3 weeks of CPAP use but then most recently I have found the unit is difficult to breath in and out of.  I find myself all of a sudden working harder than normal to inhale & exhale.  Nothing in my settings changed.  This has also resulted in moisture/condensate accumulating in the tubing...

I have resorted to my portable CPAP for now and have ben unable to determine whats wrong with the main CPAP....

Thoughts?

What I wrote in the post below may also be applicable to you.  Try replacing the filters.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid233895
Post Reply Post Reply
Radiation & Health Physicist
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting! What sort of educational background does that require? I'm guessing at least a B.S. in theoretical physics, followed by grad work in medical physics ? I did university physics I & II and physical chemistry for pre-med. I've wanted to do QM, but never found the time. (Sorry; I'll stop posting non-apnea stuff now).
Post Reply Post Reply
Strange why it is difficult to breathe out and in?

Filters or motor might have explained it for breathing in, water in the hose later might have explained breathing in, but breathing out!  Only thing could be the vents in the mask, but if you are using the same mask, that would not explain anything!
I did have a problem breathing out, but only one night, it never happened again and I still can't understand it.
Are you using a different gauge of hose i.e. narrower hose and is it filling with condensate.

It may be the machine has gone faulty and increased the pressure, but thet would not explain why you find it hard to breathe in.
This is all a bit odd.   Thinking-about
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,115 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 511 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 384 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.