Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows?
RE: Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows?
I had the same experience when exhaling with that mask. I switched to the Philips Dreamwear and it's so much better. Exhaling is easier, it's more comfortable, and it's great having the tube connected to the top of my head rather than onto my face. If you feel like spending more money, consider adding it to your list. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
What good timing for this thread.

I've been using a P10 for a few months with no problem ,and thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread.

When the cooler weather started this winter, here in Oz, I started to have problems with the P10. I got “tubing blocked check your tubing” and noticed rain out. I have covered my slimline hose and that has helped with rain out.

I then started waking during the night and feeling that my exhale wasn't right . Put the EPR up to 3 and not much help. I'm back to my FX pillows with no problem. Still would like to use the P10 again.
Post Reply Post Reply
A few times I have had that problem with my P10 - a feeling like I am not getting enough air through it. The other night I was having a vivid dream and woke up breathing very deeply (as confirmed later by SH). The little air holes in the mask were not keeping up with it, especially at my low pressure of 7. So I took it off.

The P10 mask is made out of very soft stuff, with that delicate double layer arrangement in the pillows, and I have found that it gets easily distorted if the mask is at all crooked on your face, as can happen from being bumped by the bed pillow, tugged by a tangled hose, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great timing. I am using the resmed p10 and last night woke up at least 3 times. I could not exhale, I kept my hand under the pillows and could not feel any air exhaling. I was finding that I was taking a lot of deep breaths. Also I had water in my tubing, both the one from the machine and the tube attached to the pillow mask. Does anyone know why I would have water in there?
Post Reply Post Reply
I poke holes in the mesh of my AirFit P10, so it more closely resembles my Swift LT's exhale properties. I like the AirFit for the minimalism -- so I'm willing to savage it to make it work for me.

If you click on my username, find the line "find all posts" I think you can find the recent photos I posted about this. We've got several threads complaining about that mesh, and what different people do about it (or to it). I seem to be the most willing to make sizeable slits, but others have poked pinholes (I started there, and escalated).
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, huh? I switched from the medium to large size of pillows last night and found instant improvement. For me I think it was a combination of the wrong pillow size and probably some misalignment. I find them kind of tight even at the loosest arrangement so I am looking forward to some stretching of the headgear.

I though that I slept much better than usual, woke up early and felt ready to get up. That is not normal for me. SleepHead tells a different story. My AHI is 10X what it usually is (which is still only 5.something) and the waveforms are barely recognizable. My Tidal Volume looks like someone took a 1/2 inch pink marker and swiped it across the screen then scribbled over it! I will look at it some more and start a new post on that.

As for the mask, I find it wonderfully comfortable if a bit tight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2016, 10:45 AM)chill Wrote: Well, huh? I switched from the medium to large size of pillows last night and found instant improvement. For me I think it was a combination of the wrong pillow size and probably some misalignment. I find them kind of tight even at the loosest arrangement so I am looking forward to some stretching of the headgear.

I though that I slept much better than usual, woke up early and felt ready to get up. That is not normal for me. SleepHead tells a different story. My AHI is 10X what it usually is (which is still only 5.something) and the waveforms are barely recognizable. My Tidal Volume looks like someone took a 1/2 inch pink marker and swiped it across the screen then scribbled over it! I will look at it some more and start a new post on that.

As for the mask, I find it wonderfully comfortable if a bit tight.

Me too. Got a brand new mask, new large pillow (up from medium), and had a good night sleep. Checked SleepyHead, worst night ever, well almost. However, leaks improved to excellent.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I was struggling with mouth leak, and switched to F-10 full face, and after a few nights of being really excited about great numbers and easy breathing through my mouth, now feel the full face is too big and bulky. I really miss the small profile of the P 10 pillows. I'm going to try a chin strap and pillows again. I'm such a mouth breather, though. Not sure why, as I can breath through my nose and naturally do while awake.

Has anyone had any luck simply training themselves not to open their darn mouth? I've tried the tongue stuff, but still wake up blowing air out of my mouth.

Shame I'm not crazy about full face, because my AHI immediately dropped under 1 and I slept okay, but once I wake up early, the big profile of the FF makes it impossible to fall back to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2016, 05:07 PM)Violetskyye Wrote: I was struggling with mouth leak, and switched to F-10 full face, and after a few nights of being really excited about great numbers and easy breathing through my mouth, now feel the full face is too big and bulky. I really miss the small profile of the P 10 pillows. I'm going to try a chin strap and pillows again. I'm such a mouth breather, though. Not sure why, as I can breath through my nose and naturally do while awake.

Has anyone had any luck simply training themselves not to open their darn mouth? I've tried the tongue stuff, but still wake up blowing air out of my mouth.

Shame I'm not crazy about full face, because my AHI immediately dropped under 1 and I slept okay, but once I wake up early, the big profile of the FF makes it impossible to fall back to sleep.

I use an adjustable Ruby style chin strap. It is the only way I can use my P10. Without it the leaks are bad. It doesn't totally stop the leaks for me, but it does keep me from having large leaks.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Pup. I ordered the Ruby chin strap and received it today, so I'll give it a try. I am being pretty OCD with different masks, and have a big pile whose return insurance will run out soon, so I have to try every one for a few nights. I know I should have just done them one at a time. Tonight, instead of choosing whether to eat chicken or fish, I have to decide whether to try my new Simplus full face, or my old P10 pillows with the new chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 824 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 393 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 486 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 866 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.