Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows?
Question 
Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows?
I've been using the F&P Simplus FFM and the Eson nasal mask for the past few months. I have the Flex setting turned off and don't use the ramp. I find this very comfortable. Today I got an AirFit P10. Yes, yes, I am a mask connoisseur. Wink "Ah yes, P10 2016 vintage, that was a most excellent year!"

I have found that exhaling is much, much more difficult than with the Eson or Simplus at a pressure of 12+.

I will turn on and turn up mil Fex, but i am wondering if this is a normal sensation for experienced CPAP users.

Cheer,s
Chuck

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows?
yep, that's why I can't use it. some don't have a problem exhaling into pressure, you and I do. I am even on BiLevel and still can't use it
Post Reply Post Reply
When I moved from a F10 FFM to a P10, my pressure needs dropped. My 95% pressure dropped from 14 to 10. And most of the night the apap stayed below 9.

Depending on your nasal and throat anatomy, you may need less pressure than your current starting pressure of 11. You may want to experiment with changing your range to 9-14 for a while and see if it helps the exhale problem and keeps AHI in check.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't notice a problem with exhaling when I switched to the P10s, but what I did notice that felt really weird was that, the first few nights I used them, I could feel the pressure trying to move my tongue forward. After a week or so, I no longer experienced that.

I saw a reduction in the breathing waveforms that indicate "lip leaking" after I switched to the P10s.

I do use Flex. I just lowered it to -1 a couple of nights ago, after using the P10s for around two months.

How do you like the sensation of almost nothing on your face? It felt pretty amazing to me when I first switched, and I still like it. I also appreciate not needing to adjust the nasal cushion of the mask every time I switch from my back to my side (I think I had started doing this in my sleep with the nasal mask.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never used anything but the P10. Have tired a couple different nasal masks, but that didn't last long.

As far as exhaling against pressure, I'm ok as long as I use a Flex setting. I have been using AFlex1 for awhile now, and it is very comfortable. I have tried switching AFlex to off, but noticed right away that I would have some difficulty exhaling. So switched back to AFlex 1.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that I had problems at first, but eventually figured out what worked for me - that was to pull the pillow away from my nose and let it settle back several times until it was easier to breath. It seems with the P10 the angle it sits again the nostrils is very important - wrong angle means hard to exhale - for me, just saying, maybe, maybe not, who knows, worth a try, couldn't hurt...
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with FrankNichols. The pillows need to fit right and his method is the same one I employ. Use EPR or AFLex to reduce exhale pressure. I use EPR of 1.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2016, 08:57 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I have found that I had problems at first, but eventually figured out what worked for me - that was to pull the pillow away from my nose and let it settle back several times until it was easier to breath. It seems with the P10 the angle it sits again the nostrils is very important - wrong angle means hard to exhale - for me, just saying, maybe, maybe not, who knows, worth a try, couldn't hurt...

I think the size of the pillow makes a difference too. I have still not figured if I need a medium or a large. The large allows more air and I do not feel like I am fighting to breath.

The DME suggested a small for me which lasted one night.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I did not use them last night, I needed to sleep. Smile I think that Frank is probably right. I had tried some before and the first night was great and then a week later I could not exhale with the same mask. I will report back when I figure it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some nasal pillows need a higher exhale relief while adjusting to them. I think you already tried that but if not, increase the exhale relief to as high as it can go. Also sit up with it on during the day so you can figure out the angle and the pressure needs.

But, really, the P10's diffuser makes it hard to breathe out against. I hated it. I've switched back to my Nuance due to Demon Machine issues and I'm loving it during this heat wave.

OH! Did you change the setting from FFM to Pillows on your machine??
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 863 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.