Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty Falling Asleep though Mask is Comfortable
RE: Difficulty Falling Asleep though Mask is Comfortable
(01-28-2016, 04:57 AM)holden4th Wrote: The Seatec premium model chin strap arrived today. I'm going to try it on my head tonight without the CPAP to see what happens. I'll add the CPAP this weekend.

A mixed nights sleep but mask and chinstrap taken off after 5-6 hours. I don't have a dry mouth so does this mean that the chin strap worked?

The one plus is that i find the combination of mask and strap to be bearable. I think I had some leaks but I believe that I had the mask too tight so there was little flexibility.

Post Reply Post Reply
A further update.

Last night I had my first whole night on the CPAP. While it took me a bit of time to get to sleep once I was under I carried on until about 12:30 am when I got up to go to the bathroom. My alarm woke me at 4:30 am and I think I had a good nights sleep - around 7 hours
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you still using the DreamWear mask? I switched from the cervical collar back to the c-shaped travel neck pillow I previously used for awhile. I think it is more comfortable--I tuck one end under my chin so it doesn't drop down. I had trouble sleeping--or getting to sleep--before starting the PAP routine. I put a blue light filter on my computers as I am usually on them until bedtime--not good. My PCP told me to take Melatonin--I take 5 mg in a tablet that dissolves on my tongue just before going to bed. Something worked--I sleep much better. It took at least a month before I got to sleep in less than an hour before trying these two things.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamwear mask is working fine and I don't think I've got any leaks. The idea of the C shaped travel pillow is interesting and I'd love some more information. Do you wear it as normal or reversed? Could I wear it normally in place of my current pillows? Will this make mask leaks even less likely?

BTW had another full night of CPAP and I think it's starting to work. I can't be fully sure as I've got a virus at the moment which is obviously going to leave some feelings of fatigue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I put the travel pillow on normally, then pull one end under my chin. I use a contoured foam pillow--I usually sleep mostly on the pillow with the travel pillow on it--kind of drop my head into the "valley" be the higher front and rear of the contour pillow. Sounds weird but is pretty comfortable. I need to keep my chin up--I can have awake apnea if I lie on my back and drop my chin, then breath deeply through my nose--blocks the exhale. At the moment I'm having a terrible time with the DreamWear leaking--i just started with a new cushion and I almost think it is defective. It always leaks in the same place.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Philips Respironics chin strap underneath my Dreamwear, and have good success with using both. Not a huge fan of full face masks, or nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 761 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,763 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 116 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 338 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 18 657 03-06-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.