Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty Falling Asleep though Mask is Comfortable
RE: Difficulty Falling Asleep though Mask is Comfortable
(01-24-2016, 04:46 AM)holden4th Wrote: Three more questions:

What is a good brand of mask (one that will definitely keep my chin up and my mouth closed)?

There are many out there, but one that will pull your chin up and not back. Pulling your chin back can close your airway. A plain elastic type strap, and some like the Ruby chin strap. Check some of the suppliers from suppliers list above.

Can I wear the strap under my Dreamwear mask? I know it's not recommended but I can't see why not.

Some wear it under their mask and some over. Find what works best for you. My thoughts are if you wear it over, it may hold the mask in place better, but if you wear it under, you can get your mask off easier if need be. Dont-know

Is there a way to tape my mouth closed and is it worth trying?

Not recommended, but some do it.

All questions from a tyro. Thanks in advance for your advice.

All good questions from a newbe. Good luck and don't forget to practice the "Tongue Seal".
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a chin strap. Maybe you need one, too!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2016, 07:57 PM)StaceyA Wrote: I use a chin strap. Maybe you need one, too!

Hello Stacey

I'm researching this now.

I notice that you have the same type of mask as me and also use the same pressure settings so I'm hoping that what works for you will work for me. What brand/type of chinstrap do you use? It would be great if you could add any issues or problems that you found so I can be prepared.

Anything for a good nights sleep! I got a partial one in the holidays that gave me about 4 - 5 hours and felt so much better but hit the wall later in the day. Not using the machine at the moment until I solve this so the sooner the better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wearing a chinstrap over a DreamWear doesn't work because you pinch off the air--at some point it is going to come across the part of the mask bringing the air from the top to your nose. I have an Oracle and I tried it under the mask. It might work for some people but not this old gal with droopy cheeks! It pushes my cheeks up and dislodges the DreamWear cushion. Back to the cervical collar--wish i could find something else. It works well to keep my chin up and the "Chipmunk Cheek" problem contained--I don't mouth breath until my mouth is blown open! I imagine the cervical collar is going to bring on some questions when I wear it when I get my knee replaced in two weeks!
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='holden4th' pid='147701' dateline='1453628783']
Thank you for your replies so far. It looks like a chinstrap will be on my shopping list very soon. I've stopped using the CPAP because I feel worse after using it than a night of apnea/hypopnea. The school term is about to start and I need my wits about me to work with the young children who are my charges. I've managed it well so far despite the OSA fatigue. Minimal sleep just won't work.

It's pleasing to know that I can train myself to become a nose breather. I do put my tongue at the roof of my mouth anyway and I'm a nose breather during the day.

The positive for me is that I now know its not the mask that's keeping me awake and that I might be able to finally master this CPAP business. However, the thought of a full face mask fills leaves me feeling uneasy as I am a side sleeper.

Three more questions:

What is a good brand of mask (one that will definitely keep my chin up and my mouth closed)?

Can I wear the strap under my Dreamwear mask? I know it's not recommended but I can't see why not.

Is there a way to tape my mouth closed and is it worth trying?

All questions from a tyro. Thanks in advance for your advice.

[Can I wear the strap under my Dreamwear mask? I know it's not recommended but I can't see why not.]

It was recommended that I wear a chinstrap, and that it must be under the Dreamwear mask to prevent occluding airflow as another poster said. I've been trying it for 4 nights, and don't like the feel that my head is all bundled up with stuff. The velcro does get tangled up at times, attaching where it does not belong. I Think I'm going to try the soft cervical collar instead. Getting rid of snores and mouth breathing is a must because it interrupts my sleep a lot. I'm also struggling with getting rid of leaks, and maybe it is from the chinstrap interfering with the Dreamwear on my face. If I did not need to "shut my mouth" I would probably be doing fine with the Dreamwear. the Partly because of the Respironics chinstrap though, I still have too many leaks.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the soft cervical collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2016, 06:17 AM)holden4th Wrote: What is the soft cervical collar?

It's a neck brace made of foam rubber or similar. Google it and you'll see lots of pictures.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to read my post in the "chinstrap recommendation" thread.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid147934
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
- Try the Fisher-Paykel Simplus Full face mask - really comfortable

Post Reply Post Reply
The Seatec premium model chin strap arrived today. I'm going to try it on my head tonight without the CPAP to see what happens. I'll add the CPAP this weekend.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 116 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,755 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 810 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 826 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,862 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.